By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has no idea why core titles don't sell (and more)

I think core games don't sell because most core gamers already own an HD console or have a PC. There's far more options for those platforms, that having to wait for months for a big hitter to come may be disturbing for many. The Wii was really not marketed towards the core, and Nintendo is actually feeling this now almost 3 years into the gen. Plus casual and new gamers need a lot of innovation and simplicity to become attracted, so I think Nintendo will have to shift a lot of energies and resources in trying to make and innovate a lot for new experiences that can be good for casual gamers, while leaving the core experiences as secondary.

If you look how Japan and Others have been receiving core Wii titles made by Nintendo as of late, you will see that they have spur no interest at all and most have been huge flops, while casual games with something new have been able to sell through the roof. Wii is selling mostly to casual gamers as the biggest group, hardcore Nintendo fans as the secondary group and core gamers as a small group that is way too little in comparison to the rest.

I think the initial marketing towards casuals/families, the stigma that Nintendo was for little kids that got carried since the N64 and the fact that there were almost no good core games from third parties during the first 2 years, are what probably drove most core gamers to buy an HD console or stick with their PC.

That may be the main reason why we see casual games becoming hits very easily, as well as big 1st party core games from known franchises, but for the rest of the games, the core ones and smaller Nintendo IP's, there seems that there's no such fanbase willing to buy these games like they do with games on the HD's, and specially the 360. Plus with 3rd party devs still not willing to develop big sized and high quality titles, Wii will never be the best choice for hardcore gamers outside Nintendo fans. It's discouraging but that's how I think it is.

And that's why I think Nintendo is now trying to bring the core back by announcing Metroid Other M which is made by Team Ninja and SMG2, but that's not the what they should be doing, as those games will mostly sell to Nintendo fans, who already probably own a Wii. They should take some risks, and make a couple of huge AAA quality new IP's strictly for the hardcore (No Zelda isn't a new IP), because third parties will obviously never will. But it may be too late already in the gen.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Madworld, for one, is weird. It's also very gory. It would sell either way. The Conduit? Well, I might fancy a guess at the lack of local multiplayer. We've known for a long time that online play is not growing the industry and games with strong local multiplayer do really well (Halo and Smash Bros.). I think the lack of local multiplayer defiantly matters. People want to play with their friends. This game does not allow it (Goldeneye was popular for this reason, and this is how multiplayer was started).

The thing is there aren't that many of these stereotyped hardcore gamers. Many of the sales of the biggest titles with stereotyped core values are sold to the casual teenage market.

Games like Halo, Call of Duty and GTA are bought by kids that have about 5 games in total.

Still, Wii games of this sort don't sell as well. Call of Duty will never sell as well on Wii as it will on 360 because it has far less of this teen casual market and core gamers that have both seem to prefer the HD versions on the whole, though there are clearly some that prefer the controls of the Wii version.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Graves said:
radioioRobert said:
sguy78 said:
Better games equal better sales.

Okami, Beyond Good & Evil, Viewtiful Joe, etc say hello.

If those were the best games the industry had to offer I would find a new hobby.

Forget personal opinion. I really doubt you've never run across a game you loved that sold poorly.

The fact is that those games were critically acclaimed, and critical reviews don't equate sales. MK Wii vs GTA IV has proven that big time.

Madworld got better reviews than The Conduit, but both are selling at the same respective rate.

Well my opinion is if people genuinely enjoy a game they would buy it.

Madworld and Conduit aren't doing too bad, but if those were better games I think they would have sold better.

Graves said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Graves said:
radioioRobert said:
sguy78 said:
Better games equal better sales.

Okami, Beyond Good & Evil, Viewtiful Joe, etc say hello.

If those were the best games the industry had to offer I would find a new hobby.

Forget personal opinion. I really doubt you've never run across a game you loved that sold poorly.

The fact is that those games were critically acclaimed, and critical reviews don't equate sales. MK Wii vs GTA IV has proven that big time.

Madworld got better reviews than The Conduit, but both are selling at the same respective rate.

Well my opinion is if people genuinely enjoy a game they would buy it.

Madworld and Conduit aren't doing too bad, but if those were better games I think they would have sold better.

It would be if more people liked the game, than "better". Seems like nitpicking, but it's a very important distinction.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

i think journalists should stop using the bloody word. Core games like de Blob (75min to complete one level) and others are proof that they do sell, but yea the word itself is complete f------ing bullshit.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

And i don't see why it matters anyway, Wii Sports Resort proves their philosophy works. Adults and kids enjoying the same game. Aslong as Nintendo keep doing what their doing and traditional gamers choose graphics in most cases we'll have to wait till next gen.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Declan said:
The one I can't understand is Punch-Out!! It was well reviewed, well advertised and was a fairly well known IP. True, it's doing all right (but not great) in America, but elsewhere it has been a flop (if early Japan data is accurate).

It's a boxing game, what do you expected? I bought almost every good Wii game but I am not really interested in Punch Out yet.

lets see

- better games
- no gimped version
- no shit ports without effort
- ADVERTISING
- ban total shit from being allowed on Wii (i know developers bitched that Nintendo were to harsh but I think they need to bring SOME harshes back in)

Soriku said:
@tres

AAA third party exclusives? What about MH, or DQ, or Tales, or...

Why do I bother?

I won't bother either since you obviously just highlighted the part of my post that better suits you. Perhaps if you could provide a counter argument for my entire post rather than always repeating the same...

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies