By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has no idea why core titles don't sell (and more)

Wired.com: Wii sales are slowing down. Do you feel it’s due to the economy? What’s Nintendo’s sales strategy moving forward?

Kaigler: There are a lot of factors when sales go either up or down. And it’s hard to point to any one particular factor. I’ve read reports from analysts that point to any number of factors. What I can say is our launch calendar is very different from 2008 versus 2009, as you know. Last year we had three powerful titles, with Super Smash Bros. Brawl in March, Mario Kart in April and Wii Fit in May. I mean, those are blockbuster titles.

So we had a strong title launch in the first half of 2008, and we have a strong title launch in the second half of 2009. Wii Sports Resort really kicks off the back half of our launch calendar. Like you saw at E3, we have New Super Mario Bros. Wii launching this year and we have Wii Fit Plus launching this year. So with Wii Sports Resort, New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Wii Fit Plus in the back half, that shows that we’ve just got a different launch of what we hope will be blockbuster titles.

Wired.com: So besides a price drop, what do you think will make this the best holiday ever for Nintendo?

Kaigler: We want every holiday to be the best ever for consumers. As I mentioned, we feel good about our back half launch line-up and feel good about some of the key titles. And what Nintendo stands for is making games for everybody. We want casual gamers and core gamers to be satisfied and happy with our titles. It’s our goal to do that, to put titles on the market that appeal to all kinds of gamers of all ages and gaming experience.

Wired.com: Speaking of the hardcore, the sales of hardcore-focused, third-party games — like MadWorld and The Conduit – have had critical acclaim but disappointing sales. Why do you think that is?

Kaigler: You know, I don’t know. It’s hard to say. It could be titles have the same type of sales curve that a lot of Nintendo titles have. A lot of Nintendo titles don’t follow that traditional sales curve where they launch big and then that’s it. Our titles have a long tail. They build in popularity, and this could be the case with, as you mentioned, MadWorld and The Conduit. I’ve played both. I’m not a core gamer, and I found that they were challenging and fun. We’re hopeful that the titles will catch on and that consumers who already have those games will spread the word and others will follow suit there. They’re deep experiences, and they’re very challenging titles, and we certainly like them. But it’s our hope that the games will pick up in popularity and they’ll continue to sell.

Full interview:http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/07/denise-kaigler-interview/

Do you think she finished The Conduit or MadWorld?

Around the Network

Neither game was particulary outstanding in its field. That's why they didn't sell.

Love and tolerate.

Better games equal better sales.

I haven't played Conduit, but I didn't find MadWorld to be all that compelling a game to play. Sure, it had an interesting artistic style and some good voice acting, but the overly graphic nature of the game turned me off. I'm not saying it's a bad game at all; it's well done for what it is, but I really didn't expect this kind of title to do much in the way of big sales. Still, if Sega is satisfied with the results....

I always blamed that they are unique niche games. though the conduit we will have to wait and see

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network
sguy78 said:

Sadly, not always.

I'd say that it's a bit too early to judge how good/bad The Conduit is going. We only have a month's worth sales figures from the US and 2 weeks of Others sales. And it's sold over 130,000 in a month in the US and over 30,000 in 2 weeks in Others. Not doing too badly for a new IP imo, it'll go platinum without a problem I think.

JGarret said:
sguy78 said:

Sadly, not always.

So true.

The process of making a game and bringing it to market is alchemy. Even using the same formula twice won't guarantee similar results.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

sguy78 said:

zack and Wiki

famousringo said:
JGarret said:
sguy78 said:

Sadly, not always.

So true.

The process of making a game and bringing it to market is alchemy. Even using the same formula twice won't guarantee similar results.

Conversely, bad games without movie tie ins equal bad sales.