By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has no idea why core titles don't sell (and more)

famousringo said:
JGarret said:
sguy78 said:
Better games equal better sales.

Sadly, not always.

So true.

The process of making a game and bringing it to market is alchemy. Even using the same formula twice won't guarantee similar results.

When it comes to core games, it won't sell unless people genuinely enjoy it. Just because a game gets good scores doesn't mean the masses will enjoy it.

Around the Network
sguy78 said:

Then I would have Shenmue III by now if that were always true.

sguy78 said:

GTA4 says hi

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

Graves said:
famousringo said:
JGarret said:
sguy78 said:

Sadly, not always.

So true.

The process of making a game and bringing it to market is alchemy. Even using the same formula twice won't guarantee similar results.

When it comes to core games, it won't sell unless people genuinely enjoy it. Just because a game gets good scores doesn't mean the masses will enjoy it.

Even a thoroughly enjoyable game can still bomb if marketed poorly or if the title is too 'out there' (Psychonauts anyone?), too artsy (Okami), or a dozen other reasons.   Many great games that the masses would have enjoyed have been left largely undiscovered.  Only guarantee for success is having 'Mario, Wii, Halo or Modern Warfare' in the name.

The Conduit & Madworld were good games, but not GREAT games.

As for sales, Madworld didn't sell well enough yet, but it has sold 250k so far. The Conduit has sold 160k in a month alone. Even though it has only been a month, its sales haven't dipped below 10k a week just yet.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

Marketing issues maybe? Nintendo has managed to turn non-gamers into gamers, now the problem is how to get these people into "core" gaming.

I also believe that there is a need to attract some of the PS3/360 gamers into buying Wii's or more Wii games if they already has the console. Games like the Conduit won't have much success here as well as multi-plat games that is inferior to the HD versions. Games like NMH, MadWorld and Muramasa won't do much either because they are niche and artistic.
In Japan things might change with huge games like MH3 and DQX (and maybe ToG and FFCCCB, but I don't know if those games are big enough). In the west it's harder because MH and DQ isn't that popular outside of Japan. The Wii should need games in the MGS/FF/CoD/Halo calibur, preferable developed by well-known studios. If Bethesda (spelling?) or Bioware released big titles (not some half-assed money-maker) that would be positive.

Of course, Nintendo's own games may be needed to actually attract people and make way for third-parties. NSMB Wii, SMG2, LoZ Wii and Metroid are important core titles that really need to sell. (Metroid might not be as big as Mario and Zelda but as a Metroid fan I have to mention it :p)

If things hasn't changed in lets say a year and a half (maybe a bit less) than it's better luck next gen I guess...

(I'm tired and should be sleeping so if none of this makes any sense than you shouldn't have read it)

The one I can't understand is Punch-Out!! It was well reviewed, well advertised and was a fairly well known IP. True, it's doing all right (but not great) in America, but elsewhere it has been a flop (if early Japan data is accurate).

Meh, I don't know if anoyne can ever be CERTAIn what causes sales.

Its because most hardcore gamers gave up on the Wii in 2008.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

^hardcore gamers or just you and your "buds"?