By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has no idea why core titles don't sell (and more)

I recommend reading the interview with Yasuhiro Wada, president at Marvelous posted in this thread http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=81200. Among other things he talks about their games low sales on Wii. Some of the games made or published by Marvelous are No More Heroes, Muramasa, Rune Factory and Arc Rise Fantasia.

Edit:

What the heck is wrong with how the link ends up? It looks fine in preview but when I post it...*sigh*...

Nevermind, seems to work now.

Around the Network
Graves said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Graves said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Graves said:
@ LordTheNightKnight
So people bought Conduit and Madworld because of what it lacks? Perhaps the developers should have focused on the things more people want.

I won't dignify your Super CD/DVD and MP3 analogy because you're going on a tangent with "better."

No, I was agreeing that MW and TC didn't sell more because they didn't have something that appealled to more buyers.

And the thing was that you were indicating "better" as an objective thing, but the context made it look like your opinions, which doesn't work that way.

Do you mean "better" is subjective? Because I have no idea what you're talking about.

You brought up what you felt about games, and then passed that off as "better". Don't tell me you have no idea what that means.

Yeah, I don't know what you're talking about. I used the better as in the games perhaps aren't living up to their potential.

Okay, then there was a context misunderstanding, since "better" has so many freakin' definitions.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I don't think "small" core titles sell on the Wii period.

If you're going to do a core centric type of game on the Wii ... you better bring it. It better be something like Zelda or Monster Hunter Tri. I think a game like Final Fantasy: Crystal Bearers for instance will do OK, but stuff like Little King Story ... not so much unfortunately.

On all systems though there really aren't a lot of "smaller scale/budget" games doing well unless they're party games.

Core games don't sell because most of them fall under one or more of these categories.

-gimped port (CoD)
-niche audience (Okami, Madworld)
-bad reviews (The Conduit)
-minuscule budget (Most games)

I can count the number of 3rd party games that don't fall into those categories on one hand.

Lets look at what sells on the HD consoles

-Large Budget (too many to count)
-mainstream franchises (CoD, GTA 4)

All systems have seen moderate success with new IP's (Uncharted, De Blob, Boom Blox, Mass Effect, Bioshock).

I decided to look at all million sellers for PS3 and 360

I came up with...

32 PS3 million sellers

25 are sequels

2 are bundled

The rest are large budget new IP's and are on the bottom of the list.

68 360 million sellers

49 are sequels

at least 3 bundled

several large budget new IP's that are moderately succesfull (most of which under 2 million)

For Wii I get 52 million sellers, most of which are first party, excluding those I see

11 sequels

the rest low budget new IP's.

I'd say it's more that a lot of these core Wii games are new IPs and not pushing them as aggressively as the HD new IPs. Then again, they don't cost as much, so they don't have to push them as much.

Even if they don't sell as well, they don't have to. All this notion of needing big sales to do well is an HD thing, and doesn't work with the Wii.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Video_Game_Critic said:
Sales are not always logical. Sometimes terrible games sell well and great games sell poorly.

No. It's becuase you're not defining "better" or "worse." Th who? Remember that people buy games to do a job. They want a product for a purpose. People bought Wii Sports so they could simulate playing real sports with less fuss (like time, money and ability). A lot of games don't sell becuase there is no job.

Does Redsteel 2 count as a high budget 3rd party game? Its E3 presentation was sick.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine