By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has no idea why core titles don't sell (and more)

LordTheNightKnight said:
Graves said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Graves said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Graves said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Graves said:
radioioRobert said:
sguy78 said:
Better games equal better sales.

Okami, Beyond Good & Evil, Viewtiful Joe, etc say hello.

If those were the best games the industry had to offer I would find a new hobby.

Forget personal opinion. I really doubt you've never run across a game you loved that sold poorly.

The fact is that those games were critically acclaimed, and critical reviews don't equate sales. MK Wii vs GTA IV has proven that big time.

Madworld got better reviews than The Conduit, but both are selling at the same respective rate.

Well my opinion is if people genuinely enjoy a game they would buy it.

Madworld and Conduit aren't doing too bad, but if those were better games I think they would have sold better.

It would be if more people liked the game, than "better". Seems like nitpicking, but it's a very important distinction.

Well if they were better more people would like them and buy them.

No, if it appealed to them more they would buy it. Big difference.

Well if it doesn't appeal to a lot of people it must be lacking something.

But that lacking thing is what appeals to those who would buy it. "Better" is too general a thing.

Super Audio CD or DVD Audio had better sound quality than CDs, but not better convenience, which MP3 had. So even though both were better than CDs, it was the specific kind of better that mattered. Thus simply calling something "better" doesn't really indicate much in terms of market appeal.

it's more like what sean mealstrom says about being "good enough" mp3's already have "good enough" sound quality for most people, so they're more concerned whether their more convienent or not, which mp3's are.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

Around the Network

@ LordTheNightKnight
So people bought Conduit and Madworld because of what it lacks? Perhaps the developers should have focused on the things more people want.

I won't dignify your Super CD/DVD and MP3 analogy because you're going on a tangent with "better."

i do sort of get what lordthenightknoght says. there are certain things in games that appeal to certain groups of people. the people that made mad world wanted to make a game for a specific audience, but that meant that it wouldn't appeal to just about anybody else.

they new from the start that the game wasn't going to sell much, so they only had a small budget, duh. that's why madworld is considered a success, it managed to sell to it's audience enough to churn a profit.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

Graves said:
@ LordTheNightKnight
So people bought Conduit and Madworld because of what it lacks? Perhaps the developers should have focused on the things more people want.

I won't dignify your Super CD/DVD and MP3 analogy because you're going on a tangent with "better."

No, I was agreeing that MW and TC didn't sell more because they didn't have something that appealled to more buyers.

And the thing was that you were indicating "better" as an objective thing, but the context made it look like your opinions, which doesn't work that way.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

noname2200 said:
Undying said:

I actually still have my wii.

Undying is not Hardcore: confirmed.

Bet you bought Wii Music, didn't you?

Fuck wii music, I got We Cheer.

Wii Music is a baby game made for little girls.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Graves said:
@ LordTheNightKnight

No, I was agreeing that MW and TC didn't sell more because they didn't have something that appealled to more buyers.

And the thing was that you were indicating "better" as an objective thing, but the context made it look like your opinions, which doesn't work that way.

Do you mean "better" is subjective? Because I have no idea what you're talking about.

Games that are truly innovative and push the medium forward will almost always sell poorly initially. Its like all art and entertainment, when something is new and innovative the mass audience finds it ugly and doesn't understand it. Then those innovations filter through to the rest of the industry and the mass audience gets use to it and it becomes something people love or at least get use to.

"Better" in a subjective medium is a bit silly as whats "better" and sells well today isn't whats better and will sell well in 10 years times.

Graves said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Graves said:
@ LordTheNightKnight

Do you mean "better" is subjective? Because I have no idea what you're talking about.

You brought up what you felt about games, and then passed that off as "better". Don't tell me you have no idea what that means.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Graves said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Graves said:
@ LordTheNightKnight

You brought up what you felt about games, and then passed that off as "better". Don't tell me you have no idea what that means.

Yeah, I don't know what you're talking about. I used the better as in the games perhaps aren't living up to their potential.

Sales are not always logical. Sometimes terrible games sell well and great games sell poorly.