By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii wil never get the kind of third party support that the PS2 had.

*Ignores OP*

You are right, it won't. Neither will the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.

Around the Network

Hmm I've been looking for an opportunity to use this...

This is the number of games by platform made by third party developers to sell over 100,000 units in a month on one of the three platforms. Something like Call of Duty 4 or Mario & Sonic appears many months. I picked 100k because few titles that do 100k in a month stop fail to get to 200k/300k which is usually profitable.

The issue with the top teams not developing for Wii is that games which do blockbuster figures which I've called 200k in a month worldwide - are still mostly on PS3/360. Wii did top its rivals in December 2008 though due to the sheer volume of hardware and content available that Christmas. On the other hand, when you look at all the platforms the manufacturers have...it is pretty clear a major transition in third party support began last year.

The 100k level transition has been more dramatic and it goes a long way to explaining why retailers bought 402,500,000 games for Wii/DS/GBA in the year ending March 2009

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

JEDE3 said:
Okay and montanna stated it wrong.

PSP and DS are BOTH outdated. They are fucking handhelds. The person who brought them up are ridiculous.

They also have a bigger install base than any other current gen console (except Wii - PSP but it's damn close); and I really don't get the discrimination. They play games don't they?

This has been gone over time and time again. PS2 got all the support because Third parties were following the trends of the PSX success and it paid off. It came out first and it continued to be the most successful and so they threw everything behind it and by the end, it had 90% of third party support.

In this gen, the XBOX360 came out first and got a lot of third party attention, but others were hesitant to throw out all their support, waiting to see if the PS3 would follow the PS2s success. Mostly everyone ignored the Wii. In the end, the Wii and Nintendo surprised everyone and overtook them all by force. Many are just now turning around to join up, while others are pouting and refusing to make games for them due to grudges, disbelief or simply because they think they can't make money on the system/the system is outdated/the system is 'kiddy'.

In the end, the only two things that make the PS2 and Wii similar are that they are the low end systems of their gen. But Nintendo got the VERY short end of the stick and is still fighting a very nasty label put on them by both Sony and XBOX from the last 10 years. If anything, third parties are going to continue to ignore them for the most part until the next gen, until their wallets start barking at them.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

You are right. The Wii has only received a little support, and that is how things will stay.

I'm not being sarcastic either, I am dead serious. Nintendo has focused much more on the DS about 5 years into its life than the Wii in about 3. Whether that is due to the DSi launch or the overall ease of DS development, who knows. Regardless, the Wii isn't getting much good stuff from 3rd parties.

Games like The Conduit, Madworld are miniscule on a grand scale. Games on other consoles kill them by a country mile, but Wii owners have to" Settle". This need to have to "Settle"ruins everything. Nintendo has money to actually prevent this type of thing next gen, but this gen is over when it comes to change.

3rd party Wii games are just less-effort takes on other things:

Final Fantasy 13 & 14> Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Resident Evil 5> Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicle/ RE1 port
Dead Space> Dead Space Extraction
Smackdown vs Raw 2009 (Wii has no RUN function)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed>Wii version (Game-crippling camera)
UFC Undisputed/Saints Row 2> de Blob
Wolverine PS360> Wii version was near unplayable
PES Soccer>Wii version comes out later than every other version until recently
Capcom support in general for the PS360>Wii is "dumped" on.
No Take-Two support
Overlord 2> Overlord:Dark Legend is full of bugs.........
Ubisoft had a shovelware OVERLOAD.........

Need I say more?

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Soriku said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
routsounmanman said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

It's not because the games won't sell, it's because nobody wants to make games on outdated hardware. That's really all there is to it. The PS2 was less powerful than the competition, but it was powerful enough.

Ahhhh, so that's why developers steer clear of the DS while opting for the superior PSP. Gotcha. I'll pretend DQIX never happened.

No, they avoid both.

Japan would like a word.

Okay, if power's not the issue, then why isn't Modern Warfare 2, Assassins Creed 2, Resident Evil 5, Bioshock 2, Street Fighter IV, UFC Undisputed, Tekken 6, Prototype, BlazBlue, Lost Planet 2, Red Faction: Guerilla, Fight Night Round 4 and just about every other 2009 multiplat title not getting a Wii version?

Wii sells more software than the other consoles, so we know that's not the reason.

Most of them, due to the demographic (i'm not talking about hardcore-casual shit, people didn't buy a Wii for violent games). Some of them, like RE5 or SF4, I really don't know.

I can assure you Nick, if third parties see money in Nintendo's platform, they'll flock. They're into the business to satisfy their pockets, not you.

TheSource just owned us all!

routsounmanman said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Soriku said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
routsounmanman said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

It's not because the games won't sell, it's because nobody wants to make games on outdated hardware. That's really all there is to it. The PS2 was less powerful than the competition, but it was powerful enough.

Ahhhh, so that's why developers steer clear of the DS while opting for the superior PSP. Gotcha. I'll pretend DQIX never happened.

No, they avoid both.

Japan would like a word.

Okay, if power's not the issue, then why isn't Modern Warfare 2, Assassins Creed 2, Resident Evil 5, Bioshock 2, Street Fighter IV, UFC Undisputed, Tekken 6, Prototype, BlazBlue, Lost Planet 2, Red Faction: Guerilla, Fight Night Round 4 and just about every other 2009 multiplat title not getting a Wii version?

Wii sells more software than the other consoles, so we know that's not the reason.

Most of them, due to the demographic (i'm not talking about hardcore-casual shit, people didn't buy a Wii for violent games). Some of them, like RE5 or SF4, I really don't know.

I can assure you Nick, if third parties see money in Nintendo's platform, they'll flock. They're into the business to satisfy their pockets, not you.

You'd be surprised how they will NOT flock to Nintendo's platform. They have consistently posted losses every quarter and their shift towards Wii support is unwavering. They'd rather fail while on the PS3/360 bandwagon than divert substantial attention towards the Wii. 

TheSource's graphs do not show WHICH TYPES of games are exactly going to the Wii right now.  The majority of this support isn't exactly something you or I may want to be associated with.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

routsounmanman said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Soriku said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
routsounmanman said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

No, they avoid both.

Japan would like a word.

Yes! The Wii is considered a "casual" console, most games for it are casuals, thats why it sells so well to all ages. That is also a big part of why a lot of devs won't develope for it, they would be wasting their money. They would have to seriously downgrade their games to make them even remotely playable on the Wii (and that wouldn't be good for the games...or the Devs who would basically have to create a new version of the game) And, to top it all off, the majority of Wii owners probably wouldn't buy the games. It's a lose lose for the Devs in that case, but the Wii has enough exclusives to carry it...so no need for anybody to get their panties in a bunch.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

SaviorX said:
routsounmanman said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Soriku said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
routsounmanman said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

No, they avoid both.

Japan would like a word.

I can assure you Nick, IF third parties SAW money in Nintendo's platform, they'd flock. They're into the business to satisfy their pockets, not you.

You'd be surprised how they will NOT flock to Nintendo's platform. They have consistently posted losses every quarter and their shift towards Wii support is unwavering. They'd rather fail while on the PS3/360 bandwagon than divert substantial attention towards the Wii. 

TheSource's graphs do not show WHICH TYPES of games are exactly going to the Wii right now.  The majority of this support isn't exactly something you or I may want to be associated with.

correction; they are dead blind.