By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii wil never get the kind of third party support that the PS2 had.

One thing you hear the Nintendo execs and Nintendo fans say is that as this gen continues on sales of the Wii will ensure that the Wii receives humongous third party support that will bring a lot of core games to the system, but I don't really see it happening.

There are a variety of factors that would argue against this happening.  The sales of core games on Wii haven't been that great and regardless of the fact that the Wii has sold 50 million units and almost doubled the marketshare of the other consoles, I still don't think the Wii is the darling of most developers.  I think in Japan that is still the PS3 and that very definitely in the West it is the 360.  And I feel we're too deep into this gen for there to be much of a change in that type of thinking.

So, I don't think the Wii will ever enjoy the type of support from third parties that most leading consoles including the PS2 received during their gens and time in the spotlight.

Around the Network

*Keeps Opinion to himself*

Get ready for the embers...

Well if the Wii doesn't, its sequel will.

Money talks. If Nintendo is the market leader next generation like they were this generation, developers will come around. The Playstation was built on casuals much the same as the Wii. And if Zelda: Twilight Princess is any indication, core games can sell on the Wii.

I agree, but you really should include, you know, facts to back up your opinion. This is your thread after all.

RolStoppable said:
True, it won't. By now it's pretty clear that many third parties are absolutely against change and prefer to continue on the old paths, even if that means diminishing returns. While third party support is improving for the Wii as time passes by, it's never going to get the same respect and treatment as the PS2 from the developer community.

Wow... im agreeing with a Rol post? Hell just froze over a little.

Around the Network

It's not because the games won't sell, it's because nobody wants to make games on outdated hardware. That's really all there is to it. The PS2 was less powerful than the competition, but it was powerful enough.

If that's true than the wii 2 is going to compete. Also when the wii 2 does get major 3rd party support. Nintendo will have tons of competion to beat those 3rd parties and have a war on its own system. Software sales FTW!

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Its really hard, but i wouldnt say its impossible, there are core gamers in the Wii the most obvious prove its Resident Evil 4, it was a remake it it sold over a million copies, the problem is most of developers dont take the Wii seriously the third party core games on the wii are just average games on the other consoles (Conduit, Madworld..) developers expect to get great sales with not so good games, adn there is the problem. As soon as they decide to make real good games, the core gamers will pop out and the sales will improve, and thus third partieswill start making better games. end of the story ._.

Nintendo is the best videogames company ever!

--OkeyDokey-- said:

It's not because the games won't sell, it's because nobody wants to make games on outdated hardware. That's really all there is to it. The PS2 was less powerful than the competition, but it was powerful enough.

i agree with you

--OkeyDokey-- said:

Ahhhh, so that's why developers steer clear of the DS while opting for the superior PSP. Gotcha. I'll pretend DQIX never happened.