By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games with Great Stories

I have more entries than anyone else in this thread combined. Something must be wrong with me.

Around the Network

Starcraft and Warcraft III

They are both RTS, but their stories rival that of half-decent RPG's. WCIII's story might even surpass some.

I LOVE ICELAND!

@Riachu its ok, Ill put out a bunch of entries to make you feel better

in no order:
Silent Hill 2 (favorite)
Silent Hill 1 and 4
System Shock 2
Starcraft
Final Fantasy Tactics (PSone online, advanced were horrible)
Final fantasy 4-7 and 9
Chrono Trigger
Metal Gear Solid 1, 3 and 4
Portal (sorta, it had a unique way of telling the story)
Rogue galaxy (I kid, I kid that games story line sucked)

There are plenty of other games with good story lines
(bioshock, dead space, silent hill 1 and 3, MGS 2, prince of persia series)
but the first list is a set of games taht are unforgettable as far as storyline.

Yes I am a fan of the Playstation 3, but I am an even bigger fan of intelligent and rational dialog. (If you are up for an intelligent exchange of ideas, you are more than welcome to add me as a friend)

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

(haven't been playing much since I am broke)

theshrike said:
@Riachu its ok, Ill put out a bunch of entries to make you feel better

in no order:
Silent Hill 2 (favorite)
Silent Hill 1 and 4
System Shock 2
Starcraft
Final Fantasy Tactics (PSone online, advanced were horrible)
Final fantasy 4-7 and 9
Chrono Trigger
Metal Gear Solid 1, 3 and 4
Portal (sorta, it had a unique way of telling the story)
Rogue galaxy (I kid, I kid that games story line sucked)

There are plenty of other games with good story lines
(bioshock, dead space, silent hill 1 and 3, MGS 2, prince of persia series)
but the first list is a set of games taht are unforgettable as far as storyline.

I wasn't feeling bad for myself.  I was just pointing that out.  But thanks anyway.

I enjoy the God of War stories simply because of the Greek Mythology. It's cool seeing the Gods and Goddesses, as well as well known characters from those stories (Icarus, Titans, etc).

Also, another game that had a decent story with a WTF type ending was Braid. I mean, who expected the main character to be the villain in the end, and to play the last sequence in reverse to show the princess trying to escape from you? Genius!!!

Around the Network

Chrono Trigger's story is what made it a classic in my eyes (though some people will call it generic or standard nowadays.).

For some reason, after I read the instruction manual, and finished the game, Zelda: A Link to the Past really felt powerful to me. I don't know why. There was hardly any narrative, to speak of.

For me, the end all/be all of great video game stories is Metal Gear Solid 3. No other game competes, in my eyes.

FF X
GTA IV
Dark Cloud
Lost Odyyesy
Fallout 1-3
Mass Effect

Indigo Prophecy was well on its way to the top of the list, until it decided to go retarded. I hope and pray on my magic wishing star that Heavy Rain doesn't follow suit. I have high hopes for that game. Aside from the (usually great) presentation, the story is the biggest thing going for Heavy Rain, in my opinion. It had better deliver!

The two best stories I found in gaming were Suikoden II and Final Fantasy Tactics, both are unequalled.
Some other games with amazing stories
Persona 3 and 4
Suikoden V
Xenosaga (all of them)
Both God of Wars
ICO and SotC (not a "traditional" story, but it made you care about the characters like no other game)
Portal (again, not a traditional story, but truly amazing on how it's done)
Some FFs (7,8,10, 12 somewhat though lacking character development, 6 to an extent)
Disgaea (totally crazy, but excellent too)
Prince of Persia trilogy (with some ups and downs, SoT is excellent, WW has an excellent plot but the characters suck, TT is great too)

d21lewis said:
Indigo Prophecy was well on its way to the top of the list, until it decided to go retarded. I hope and pray on my magic wishing star that Heavy Rain doesn't follow suit. I have high hopes for that game. Aside from the (usually great) presentation, the story is the biggest thing going for Heavy Rain, in my opinion. It had better deliver!

Totally agree, if Fahrenheit had the same story quality during the ending than during the first 5 hours, it would be one of the best stories ever. Can't beleive how they butchered the ending so much in that game

oh wait, I am not sure how I could forget about xenogears

Yes I am a fan of the Playstation 3, but I am an even bigger fan of intelligent and rational dialog. (If you are up for an intelligent exchange of ideas, you are more than welcome to add me as a friend)

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

(haven't been playing much since I am broke)