By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Marvelous, crying over bad sales.

Money issues. I intend on buying one this october...

Around the Network

Xen, my points are:

1- Every week there is a thread saying the Wii doesn't have good games, all are childish, for the casuals, so on.

2- Every week there is a thread where all the Wii haters come and say the Wii doesn't sell good games, or the Wii doesn't sell mature games, or the Wii doesn't sell hardcores games, and they should all be released in the HD consoles that they would buy it.

MAKE UP YOUR F*CKING MIND!!!

I'm I the only one seeing contradictions here???? Every core-niche-awesome game sells bad on the Wii, and it would sell better on PS360 because they would love it and buy tons! Sou why doesn't that gamer base move to the Wii then??? Because, judging by the huge quantity of threads about games they would buy, I'm sure they wouldn't have to put the Wii on the closet!

That's the reason I have all consoles available: all of them have great exclusives that I don't want to miss.

Soriku said:
theprof00 said:
the big problem is that to take full advantage of wii hardware, you kinda have to make a decision not to port to any other platform, because nothing else can support motion control yet.
Then, on top of that, half the audience or more is only interested in Mii titles or wii fit, and you have a recipe for disaster with 3rd party new IPs.

And how often do new third party IPs on the HD consoles sell really really well in Japan?

Top two 3rd party games on wii in japan

13 Taiko no Tatsujin Wii Namco Bandai 0.57 0.00 0.00 0.57
14 Dragon Quest Sword: Kamen no Joou to Kagami no Square Enix 0.50
20 BioHazard: Umbrella Chronicles Capcom 0.28 0.54 0.46 1.28

Top 3rd party games on ps3 in japan

2 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Konami 0.68 1.68 1.68 4.04
4 Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 Sega 0.47 0.00 0.00 0.47
5 BioHazard 5 Capcom 0.47 0.87 0.90 2.24
6 Shin Sangoku Musou 5 KOEI 0.41 0.14 0.05 0.60
7 World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009 Konami 0.40 0.08 1.49 1.97
9 Gundam Musou 2 Namco Bandai 0.35 0.03 0.01 0.39
10 Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 Konami 0.32 0.03 1.39 1.74
11 Devil May Cry 4 Capcom 0.31
12 Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! Sega 0.30 0.00 0.00 0.30
13 Gundam Musou Namco Bandai 0.30 0.13 0.00 0.43

Wii install base 8.1

PS3 install base 3.1

See, part of his complaining is that you look at the install base, and say WOW, and then look at the sales, and the top game can't even beat the top game on a system with less than half that install base. Not only that, but there are 13 games that have sold more on ps3 than the third top selling game on wii.

So you think Taiko no Tatsujin Wii or Dragon Quest Sword: Kamen no Joou to Kagami no should have beaten Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Ok...

@daz
what?
I'm just showing 3rd party sales of each system. I made no conclusions other than ps3 3rd party games seem to sell better than wii 3rd party games. Even without MGS, there are 12 games compared to three, selling a total of 2.4M compared to 1.2

Around the Network

Little King Story was released? I didn't even know it was out in any country.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

.jayderyu said:
Little King Story was released? I didn't even know it was out in any country.

That's news to me!

It is sad seeing such unique titles sell so poorly. Part of it likely has to do with the Wii market being heavily casual too though. Just like the rest of the world the majority of core gamer's have a 360/PS3 for the majority of their gaming purchases. It also is likely that the mainstream does not know much of these titles and they need to be promoted/marketed more fiercely. Core games have been having terrible luck selling on Wii and this won't change unless word starts getting out that good core titles exist and I'm talking mainstream because we all know of these great titles but who says
Mark or Sally down the street even heard of these titles.

How our favorite systems are just like humans and sometimes have issues finding their special someone...

Xbox 360 wants to KinectPS3 wants to Move!  Why are both systems having such relationship problems?  The reason is they both become so infactuated with desire while watching the Wii as it waggles on by. They simply want what they can't have.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Wii is like a niche gaming system for core owners in Japan, so devs have to meditate before making small/medium core IP's. Wii hasn't been able to sell them in good quantities mainly because users there are mostly casual gamers and Nintendo hardcore fans. Not even new core IP's from Nintendo themselves were able to sell considerable amounts, all of them bombed, just old IP's and new casual games were successful.

One has to believe that Nintendo did expand the market, but at the same time their core userbase shrinked heavily. There's no incentive for core gamers there to buy a Wii at all, because there's almost no games ahead and no variety at all. There's the ususal big game that comes out every 5 or more months and then it's all niche stuff, with no sequels to big IP's, no big projects. Everyone's afraid of their own stupidity. Nintendo themselves have failed terribly at making a successful new core IP, all of them bombed there, so there's a problem.

It's almost irreversible until MH3 arrives, but then again, there's gonna be a big game drought after it, so all momentum will be lost within weeks of the launch of MH3. Wii needs many big games, including 1st party new IP's, not the same old franchises that besides hardcore Nintendo fans almost no one will buy. They have to make big games and take some chances or they will have all their new core IPs bomb one after the other. They need to gather core gamers and convince them of buying a Wii, and that so far has been happening the other way around, they and 3rd parties have been driving the core gamer away so far that most probably Wii is garbage for the majority of them in Japan.

It's the least suited console for the core out of the 6 that are still on sale there. Even with the big releases coming up, there's so much more content on every other platform that they will barely have a long term effect. There's no PS2-like success this gen on the home console field and what's worse for the Wii: PSP and DS are stealing majority of games, while the few that remain go everywhere but to the Wii.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

What's keeping the Wii afloat right now in Japan is Wii Fit, nothing else. Niche games sales are so small that they are irrelevant. Plus those niche games aren't really that niche, they get the niche status because the sell badly. Not because they are badgames, but because they are getting released on a userbase that doesn't clamour that kind of games.

FFCC:CB is probably 2010 since it's labeled as a Winter release which means Christmas or 2010. Tales of Graces is 2010 too, Samurai Warriors 3 has disappeared from the map ages ago, so I doubt it's coming out this year. So far it's only MH3 for the year, along with some small games which will be insignificant most of the times. NSMBWii will be big, but will manage to gather more Nintendo and Mario fans, I doubt it will tap on the RPG audience for example.

There's almost nothing big besides MH3 coming out this year, unless they plan on doing surprise releases, which will end up hurting sales more than helping. See PS3 for example, sales dying really fast after the set of big games released. SW moves HW, no other way around it.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies