By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ninty hasn't created any new I.P's they can use in future generations, why

Million said:
People really have that much confidence in Wii___ titles ? . And how is Nintendo going to differentiate themselves when Sony and Microsoft come out with their alternatives next gen ? ( possibly being the superior ones )

Could be a Gamecube 2 next gen, since both Sony and MS have their motion devices. We will see.

Around the Network

Yup, Nintendo is always doomed. Even when they are the industry leader and have IP's dating back to the Atari 2600 years (Mario and donkey kong) they are doomed and doesn't have enough IP's.

(guess who inspired that comment, lol)

I LOVE ICELAND!

Million said:

I've excluded Wii Play , Sports , Fit  from this statement for 2 reasons.

(1) I don't think they are the kind of I.P's that can be re-used between generations , the innovation of the motion controller made them relevant but I don't think it will continue to do that on another platform.

(2)The potential for these I.P's to expand is very limited as opposed to Mario or Zelda for example which can be sold in infintley different ways.

I think last generation Nintendo relied heavily on their existing I.P's also but I do believe they created Pikmin in the GC era . I think by not creating any I.P's that first apeal to the core gamer and can be expanded into the casual markets Nintendo leave themself in a bad position in the long term , it might not affect them this generation or even the generation after but I don't think the existing I.P's will last forever , I don't think there's anything non-essential to our survival/well-being that we've kept interest in as human beings.

In contrast Sony and Microsft are responsible for creating and funding many new I.Ps Uncharted , Gears Of War , Little Big Plannet , Heavy Rain , White Knight Chronicles , Crackdown  etc etc. Both Microsoft and Sony have recognised the need to create new I.P's to strengthen their long term position , exclusives which they don't have to worry will go to the competition.

This generation everyone feels like there's no way Nintendo will struggle next gen , their rolling in billions now but isn't that the same mistake Sony made in the PS1 , PS2 era ?.  But at least in the time Sony used it's revenue to buy development resources , secured new I.P's which most certainly saved the PS3 from complete destruction . Sony's efforts last gen are keeping the PS3 relevant now , I just don't think Nintendo is doing in enough in terms of their future , maybe the Wii has confused them about what direction they want to take .

what are your thoughts , i'm not so knowledgable on the Wii so there will likely be some knowledge gaps in my argument.

example:
Gears of war is developed by Epic and People can fly.Not microsoft.
Little Big planet, done by Media Molecule not SCEA.
White Knight C, By level 5.They also work for nintendo. Nope, not by SCEA.
Crackdown, Real time works. Not microsoft.
Heavy rain done by Quantic dream

You failed to mention a single first party game from other company.
By contrast..Nintendo does their own games..

KungKras said:
Yup, Nintendo is always doomed. Even when they are the industry leader and have IP's dating back to the Atari 2600 years (Mario and donkey kong) they are doomed and doesn't have enough IP's.

(guess who inspired that comment, lol)

You're completely missing it if you think that's his point.

He's saying they haven't made any new ips that can be used on a future console. (The Wii series can't be reused on anything other than Wii 2 which isn't likely)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

nintendo's stratergy was to get out the big francshises first in order to spur sales and give third partys a solid userbase. as time goes by we will see them make new IPs

so far announced/released i can think of endless ocean, disaster, spawn smasher, line atack heroes, dynamic slash, monada and cosmic walker. plus this doesnt take into account all the franchise revivals, like sin and punishment, punchout and pilotwings (im sure its coming)

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network

to me youre missing two big ones right now

PROFESSOR LAYTON.

- that IS this gen, and it can go on forever as far as I'm concerned

BRAIN AGE.

- also this gen and can go a LONG way for them, as in forever.

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

oh and about buying development resources. nintendo bought monolith and created Sora, both dev teams that are commited to creating new IP for nintendo

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

No new IPs this generation when you ignore the biggest-selling new franchise ever? Really?

Damn, I could have sworn they made Endless Ocean, Cosmic Walker, the Art Style games, the Brain Age games, Nintendogs, Disaster: Day of Crisis... none of them got made, hm?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Pyramid Head said:
to me youre missing two big ones right now

PROFESSOR LAYTON.

- that IS this gen, and it can go on forever as far as I'm concerned

BRAIN AGE.

- also this gen and can go a LONG way for them, as in forever.

Professor Layton is over.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

intro94 said:
Oh btw million, you are quite naive. the other developers didnt create most of the ips you mentioned(GOW, LBP), they just paid the rights to other developers.Big diference.Anyone can do that, and even nintendo if they run out of imagination.

Gears Of War was an error but Sony does own all the I.P's listed above included LBP.