By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ninty hasn't created any new I.P's they can use in future generations, why

intro94 said:
Million said:
intro94 said:
Oh btw million, you are quite naive. the other developers didnt create most of the ips you mentioned(GOW, LBP), they just paid the rights to other developers.Big diference.Anyone can do that, and even nintendo if they run out of imagination.

Gears Of War was an error but Sony does own all the I.P's listed above included LBP.

They have exclusivity contracts that do expire over time, over ALL the titles you could name, not owning any of them.The worst part is that you have to face the fact that this is just a matter of money.If nintendo had few imagination values like SCEA or MS, they would have to do like them just pay for exclusivity rights.Which is pretty sad and i hope they never resort to that(just paying cash)...

Look at it this way, Nintendo made franchises like Mario Kart have outsold all your 2nd-3rd party examples.By a lot.MK ds and MK wii has sold around 30 million copies.

Nintendodogs is a 1st party nintendo new ip, selling much more than any title you can think of the others.Endless oceans, professor layton(going by your IP property logic), Sin and Punnishment is not new, but certainly wasnt milked much.

So if Nintendo and their owned teams(such as retro) EVER had problems with their own titles selling, they could always go the easy way and pay for exclusive rights.I hope they never go that way.

What you want for nintendo is to degrade itself to a mere publisher like Sony and Microsoft.I  own a PS3 and i still havent owned a game done by them.Nothing.MG4, LBP, Infamous...Nothing done by scea.

I don't usually dismiss some ones points without saying why but I think i'll make an exception for you.

Around the Network

do they need to if they release a new generation pokemon game there guaranteed 10m sold

also they have made new ips this generation Nintendodogs,Brain Training and more and they revive old games like kid icarus or ice climbers

well id love to hear a propper retort rather than the childish:"nananana i dont hear you"...While i can partially understand your question due to your lack of knowledge of the ips nintendo is releasing, your logic of them following" the lead" of companies that arent developing their own games falls terribly flat.

PD:if you arent willing to hear logical answers, why do you bother posting?

intro94 said:

well id love to hear a propper retort rather than the childish:"nananana i dont hear you"...While i can partially understand your question due to your lack of knowledge of the ips nintendo is releasing, your logic of them following" the lead" of companies that arent developing their own games falls terribly flat.

Don't get me wrong I don't usualy ignore people's points it's just that i don't think yours are well thought out enough to respond to , your making it an issue of sales performance which is somewhat irrelevant to the core of my argument.

Million said:
intro94 said:

Don't get me wrong I don't usualy ignore people's points it's just that i don't think yours are well thought out enough to respond to , your making it an issue of sales performance which is somewhat irrelevant to the core of my argument.

Well i think is that you arent seeing the whole picture. My points are on spot due to sales having a lot to do with your question. Nintendo,which is developing new ips as other posters can confirm, also needs to spend time keeping its old franchises alive and fresh.This worked for them as they are selling quite better than anything the competition came to.Theres a limit about how much a developer can do at a time.

You gotta make money:you spend time producing and selling old famous franchises.Nintendo is busy doing that.

On the other side; you make ips.They are doing them, busy too.

Theres only so much a single company can do at a time. They really dont have much of a need to buy rights or exclusivities from third party teams(something they barely have done very few times).They are making good money, creating ips, preparing for the future, and developing new technologies to support new innovative products. Suda51 expressed interest in using the Vital and Nintendo is preparing fresh ips for it as well.

From a business standpoint, they will push new ips when they need to.Sales are important because thats what keeps a company alive.

Around the Network

Well, it surely isn't a problem on the DS! Look at the top sellers on DS from Nintendo (http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=&console=DS&publisher=245&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total) 
4 of the top 10 were never seen in previous gens. 1 is virtually a comeback from the dead (NSMB) for the 2D Mario series, and 1 is a first time on a handheld. 5 of the next 10 were never seen in previous gens.

It's a bit more of a "problem" (although I don't consider it one) on the Wii. If you exclude the Wii series, this is the case.Top 10: 3 never seen in earlier gens.  Next 10: 3 never seen in earlier gens.
But it isn't like Nintendo had a 7/10 new IPs on the GC, oh no sir.

Top 10: 0
Next 10: 2
So your assumption that this was a lot better on GC isn't correct. Oh, and GBA was pretty much a remake-only machine.

Concluding:Nintendo makes more new IPs than they did last gen. Or rather, Nintendo's new IPs sell more than they did last gen (compared to the rest of the games on the machine).
(I'm aware that this is far from the best method of doing this, but at least it has some statistic substance).

Edit: Gah! My posts have been coming out like this for a fair while now... I'll fix it in a jiffy.

This wasn't an attempt to troll, and the OP already said he doesn't know about the Wii too much.

The Wii series may not be seen next gen, who knows. Their shtick was the accessiblity of the motion control. The the next Ninty system has Motion, maybe they will return. Otherwise, they may serve no use.

However, Nintendo does have the impressive history of creating games based off one engine. Plus, they have released several new IPs, have some upcoming, and surely have some unreleased "heat" in development.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

If you're wondering how Nintendo will stay on top by only using the current IP's they have now, well... you're right to doubt them. Depending on old IP's will probably only work if the competition is doing the same.

However, I have confidence Nintendo can create entirely new games for their next consoles to spur the sales. Nintendo has been saying for a while now, customers want new experiences. You can't really do this by recycling older IP's. How would the DS have performed without Brain Age or Nintendogs? The Wii without the Wii Series?

Nintendo knows they need to continue pushing new games to stay on top, so they will do so. They have plenty of time to come up with ideas before this gen finishes.

Btw, Nintendo's IP's are still stronger than Sony / Microsoft's. Those two companies cannot threaten Nintendo without their own new ideas, so it isn't like Nintendo is at some sort of disadvantage (far from it).

Mario, Zelda, Metroid have been around for 20+ years

Star Fox and F-Zero a lil less

whats to say the franchises they have now cant carry them?

So, basically, you're complaining that Nintendo was able to scratch build amazingly popular games targeted at the unique innovations of this generation, and not develop a stable of legacy games that they can awkwardly port into the next generation of tech? Oh no, poor Nintendo.

Game series have a real hard time jumping between technologies. Franchises and entire genres of games died when 3D hit. Just look at Sonic the Hedgehog, or for that matter any of the modern Nintendo games. The same thing's going to happen when the jump to motion happens full force (Mario Galaxy was an awkward motion porting of Mario 64, which was an awkward 3D port of 2d Mario.

Anyway, Nintendo's fine for franchises. According to wikipedia, so far this generation they've released the best selling racing game of all time (Mario Kart Wii), the best selling fighting game of all time (Brawl), the best selling sports game/best selling game period (Wii Sports), and the best selling party game of all time (Wii Play), not to mention owning the franchises for the best selling RPG and Platformer of all time (Pokemon Gen 1 and Super Mario Bros.)

Wii has more 20 million sellers than PS3 has 5 million sellers.

Acolyte of Disruption