By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ninty hasn't created any new I.P's they can use in future generations, why

I've excluded Wii Play , Sports , Fit  from this statement for 2 reasons.

(1) I don't think they are the kind of I.P's that can be re-used between generations , the innovation of the motion controller made them relevant but I don't think it will continue to do that on another platform.

(2)The potential for these I.P's to expand is very limited as opposed to Mario or Zelda for example which can be sold in infintley different ways.

I think last generation Nintendo relied heavily on their existing I.P's also but I do believe they created Pikmin in the GC era . I think by not creating any I.P's that first apeal to the core gamer and can be expanded into the casual markets Nintendo leave themself in a bad position in the long term , it might not affect them this generation or even the generation after but I don't think the existing I.P's will last forever , I don't think there's anything non-essential to our survival/well-being that we've kept interest in as human beings.

In contrast Sony and Microsft are responsible for creating and funding many new I.Ps Uncharted , Gears Of War , Little Big Plannet , Heavy Rain , White Knight Chronicles , Crackdown  etc etc. Both Microsoft and Sony have recognised the need to create new I.P's to strengthen their long term position , exclusives which they don't have to worry will go to the competition.

This generation everyone feels like there's no way Nintendo will struggle next gen , their rolling in billions now but isn't that the same mistake Sony made in the PS1 , PS2 era ?.  But at least in the time Sony used it's revenue to buy development resources , secured new I.P's which most certainly saved the PS3 from complete destruction . Sony's efforts last gen are keeping the PS3 relevant now , I just don't think Nintendo is doing in enough in terms of their future , maybe the Wii has confused them about what direction they want to take .

what are your thoughts , i'm not so knowledgable on the Wii so there will likely be some knowledge gaps in my argument.

Around the Network

I read through your entire post, and I still didn't find a reason why I should be worried for Nintendo. Their IPs are far more adaptable and will last far longer than anything Sony or Microsoft has.

No you will include Wii ___ because they can be refined and used in the future. It's by far the biggest IP created this generation..........FACT! :P

They don't need new IP when they have Mario, Zelda and Pokemon games.

I'm sure they could create another new line of Wii ____

The only new ip I can think of is Disaster: Day of Crisis, but that game isn't very good and wasn't released in America.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

People really have that much confidence in Wii___ titles ? . And how is Nintendo going to differentiate themselves when Sony and Microsoft come out with their alternatives next gen ? ( possibly being the superior ones )

the new Oceans series are succesful.

Oh btw million, you are quite naive. the other developers didnt create most of the ips you mentioned(GOW, LBP), they just paid the rights to other developers.Big diference.Anyone can do that, and even nintendo if they run out of imagination.

1. As to your excluded points, Wii Sports Restort and Wii Fit+ say hi. I mean, if they can be re-used in the same generation, what makes you think they can't in the next. Your second thoughts for excluding them is just plain flawed.

2. They only need to worry about IP for this generation right now. The generation isn't over, so there is years for them to come out with new IP.

3. There is plenty of old IP they haven't released for this generation.  They could be saving that for next.

Million said:
People really have that much confidence in Wii___ titles ? . And how is Nintendo going to differentiate themselves when Sony and Microsoft come out with their alternatives next gen ? ( possibly being the superior ones )

Given that three of the best selling games this generation (including the best selling game of all time) all have Wii in the title, than I'd say it deserves a bit of confidence, don't you? Nintendo will differentiate themselves next generation by their new and old IPs. Nintendo has done so well this generation not just because of motion control and the touchstreen, but because of the great games designed around them. Sony and Microsoft will have a lot to catch up on in that department, and I doubt what they produce next generation in that category will be able to stand up to what Nintendo has.