By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ninty hasn't created any new I.P's they can use in future generations, why

Yea, you are right.Rly how many sequels have been announced for older Wii titles?No more heroes 2 is only one I remember.

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network
Simulacrum said:
Yea, you are right.Rly how many sequels have been announced for older Wii titles?No more heroes 2 is only one I remember.

Off the top of my head, Red Steel 2, the Rabbids franchise, Boom Blox 2, and then there's a bunch of games that aren't really sequels but continuations in the same vein. (House of The Dead: Overkill as a 'sequel' to House of the Dead 2 + 3 Return! and the new rail-shooter Resident Evil as a 'sequel' to the old rail-shooter RE). Mario Galaxy 2? the Trauma Center games (They're coming out with a third one for the wii). Excite Trucks/Bots. Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus.

I'm sure there's more. In the right field, the Wii is a cash cow that's making some people very wealthy. Traditional 'hardcore' games don't sell well, so they don't get sequels, but new market games are making a killing and starting whole new franchises.

Wii has more 20 million sellers than PS3 has 5 million sellers.

Acolyte of Disruption

Million said:
People really have that much confidence in Wii___ titles ? . And how is Nintendo going to differentiate themselves when Sony and Microsoft come out with their alternatives next gen ? ( possibly being the superior ones )

You really think it's that easy to get traction in the market? Just come out with superior motion controls and let it ride? If Sony and Microsoft think the same way you do(which I believe they do) they're going to be in for a rude awakening next gen the same they were this gen.

Of course everyone has confidence in Wii titles. They sell gangbusters. As Nintendo comes out with new platforms, peripherals, etc. they'll create new exciting Wii branded software to go with them that are purposely tailored to that particular peripheral. They don't need to keep repeating the same titles when they have so many fresh and original ideas. If any gen has shown Nintendo is the king of new IPs, it's this gen, over even the NES era.

Nintendogs
Brain Age
Wii Sports
Wii Fit
Wii Play

All 15+ million sellers per title. Can you remind me the last time Sony or Microsoft pulled off this feat? Oh right. Sony did...once. It took them until the third try on a franchise for it to happen. If you want to be worried, worry about Sony and Microsoft's new IPs. They're not selling so hot in comparison to Nintendo's.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Happy Squrriel was faster than i was. Introducing new IP:s, is usually introducing something new in general to Nintendo. And that's the reason why they usually sell well (relatively at least).

To be honest, making lots of new IP:s doesn't really make sense, when you'd have lots of overlap between new and old IP:s.

In any case, Nintendo has quite a few existing ones, so in need of new kind of game, you always can renew an existing IP (which apparently is happening again with Metroid).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Sin and Punishment was on PS1? News to me Soriku

Around the Network

That's better :P

Soundwave said:
burgerstein said:

Soundwave said:

I think they should just take a big fat wad of $$$, get a great team, make a really fantastic edgy new IP that is much more fast paced than Metroid (too slow), market the hell out of it, and groom it as one of their top IPs. 

Someone didn't see the Metroid: Other M trailer. Nintendo has enough franchises, and they're constantly making new ones, it's just that new ones aren't usually immediate successes so you don't notice them.

I like Metroid, but honestly Nintendo has banked way too much on that franchise. It never really was a big seller, even on the SNES. It's more of a niche kind of a franchise. 

I'm sure Team Ninja will inject some more action into the series, but to turn it into a real mass market friendly franchise I think would involved Team Ninja pushing it so far that it might piss the Metroid fanboys off. 

Nintendo needs to find something in vein of GoldenEye ... that was perfect. If you could add something like THAT (or something in the vein of God of War or Gears of War) to Metroid + Zelda ... now you're cooking. 

Corruption sold 1.5 million copies; the first Metroid Prime sold, what, a million more?

How "mass market friendly" does a series need to be? This is a better selling franchise than any of Team Ninja's games.

Soriku said:
Showertea said:
Simulacrum said:

Off the top of my head, Red Steel 2, the Rabbids franchise, Boom Blox 2, and then there's a bunch of games that aren't really sequels but continuations in the same vein. (House of The Dead: Overkill as a 'sequel' to House of the Dead 2 + 3 Return! and the new rail-shooter Resident Evil as a 'sequel' to the old rail-shooter RE). Mario Galaxy 2? the Trauma Center games (They're coming out with a third one for the wii). Excite Trucks/Bots. Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus.

I'm sure there's more. In the right field, the Wii is a cash cow that's making some people very wealthy. Traditional 'hardcore' games don't sell well, so they don't get sequels, but new market games are making a killing and starting whole new franchises.

Those, Endless Ocean 2, Sin and Punishment 2 (not technically a Wii sequel since the original was on the PS1 N64, but it is on VC...), SMG2, Metroid: Other M (well, more like midquel), Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort 2, there's a new Zelda coming, Resident Evil (the whole rail shooter series)...

I'm also probably missing some.

Mario Galaxy2, Zelda coming...Mario,Zeldas and Metroids are what keep Wii in good position but what about other than Nintendos own games?

Tho I'm not sure is metroid...

How about third party's quality games, games that have sold well, and games that has good review score?

Take my love, take my land..

Million said:

I've excluded Wii Play , Sports , Fit  from this statement for 2 reasons.

(1) I don't think they are the kind of I.P's that can be re-used between generations , the innovation of the motion controller made them relevant but I don't think it will continue to do that on another platform.

(2)The potential for these I.P's to expand is very limited as opposed to Mario or Zelda for example which can be sold in infintley different ways.

I think last generation Nintendo relied heavily on their existing I.P's also but I do believe they created Pikmin in the GC era . I think by not creating any I.P's that first apeal to the core gamer and can be expanded into the casual markets Nintendo leave themself in a bad position in the long term , it might not affect them this generation or even the generation after but I don't think the existing I.P's will last forever , I don't think there's anything non-essential to our survival/well-being that we've kept interest in as human beings.

In contrast Sony and Microsft are responsible for creating and funding many new I.Ps Uncharted , Gears Of War , Little Big Plannet , Heavy Rain , White Knight Chronicles , Crackdown  etc etc. Both Microsoft and Sony have recognised the need to create new I.P's to strengthen their long term position , exclusives which they don't have to worry will go to the competition.

This generation everyone feels like there's no way Nintendo will struggle next gen , their rolling in billions now but isn't that the same mistake Sony made in the PS1 , PS2 era ?.  But at least in the time Sony used it's revenue to buy development resources , secured new I.P's which most certainly saved the PS3 from complete destruction . Sony's efforts last gen are keeping the PS3 relevant now , I just don't think Nintendo is doing in enough in terms of their future , maybe the Wii has confused them about what direction they want to take .

what are your thoughts , i'm not so knowledgable on the Wii so there will likely be some knowledge gaps in my argument.

Uncharted is made by Sony and they own the rights

Gears of War was created by Epic games, MS does not own the rights

LBP was created by Media Molecule, Sony does not own the rights

Heavy rain is developed by Quantum dream, I doubt Sony owns the rights

Crackdown was developed by Realtime Worlds, I doubt MS owns the rights

White knight Story is the only other one actually developed by either Sony or MS, and the only one in which Sony or MS own the rights (btw, level 5 helped with the development)

As for new IP established or reestablished by Nintendo in this generation.

Mario and Sonic (which is much more a Ninty franchsies than any of your examples (besides Uncharted and WKC) are Sony or MS franchises because Ninty helped with development, and owns character rights, as opposed to merely publishing)

Punch out - not seen a game since the NES

Wii Series - you've already mentioned this, but I think it has a chance to have sequels next gen, just like Wii Sports Resort. Wii Music 2 will certainly release and, like the original, put the current versions of GH and RB to shame. Wii Fit ++ may release

Excite series - Hasn't had a game since the NES, now has Excite truck and Excite Bots

Super mario Bros - hasn't  seen a game since the SNES, now 1 for DS and 1 for Wii

Endless Ocean - Published by Nintendo, developed by Arika. As valid as Gears or LBP

Disaster: DOC

Rythym heaven

Electroplankton

Now the big guns come out

nintendogs

Big Brain Academy

Brain/Sight/whatever training

You are wrong, I'm sorry

Oh wow, excite bike 64 exists?

And Super punchout was still a long time ago

etc?

There is nothing you can say that changes the fact that nintendo has developed several franchises this gen that are bigger than any franchises Sony or MS have developed this gen.

Infact, the biggest franchises Sony or MS have developed this gen is Resistance on about 6 million sales from 3 games