By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ninty hasn't created any new I.P's they can use in future generations, why

@ scottie

Some more research is needed.

Sony owns the ip to WKC, but Level 5 handled the development entirely.

Sony owns the ip to LBP also.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Huoh.

Take my love, take my land..

See, the reason Microsoft and Sony had to create IPs are because they didn't have any. They realized the need to do what Nintendo already did about 20 years ago. Sorry, this thread makes no sense.

Nintendo didn't just create new IPs - they created new "brands".

Wii...

Mii...

Stick those onto any game name, and you have a guaranteed market.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Onyxmeth said:
Million said:
People really have that much confidence in Wii___ titles ? . And how is Nintendo going to differentiate themselves when Sony and Microsoft come out with their alternatives next gen ? ( possibly being the superior ones )

You really think it's that easy to get traction in the market? Just come out with superior motion controls and let it ride? If Sony and Microsoft think the same way you do(which I believe they do) they're going to be in for a rude awakening next gen the same they were this gen.

Of course everyone has confidence in Wii titles. They sell gangbusters. As Nintendo comes out with new platforms, peripherals, etc. they'll create new exciting Wii branded software to go with them that are purposely tailored to that particular peripheral. They don't need to keep repeating the same titles when they have so many fresh and original ideas. If any gen has shown Nintendo is the king of new IPs, it's this gen, over even the NES era.

Nintendogs
Brain Age
Wii Sports
Wii Fit
Wii Play

All 15+ million sellers per title. Can you remind me the last time Sony or Microsoft pulled off this feat? Oh right. Sony did...once. It took them until the third try on a franchise for it to happen. If you want to be worried, worry about Sony and Microsoft's new IPs. They're not selling so hot in comparison to Nintendo's.

Your getting trapped in the same mentality that got Sony's ass kicked , who said anything about coming out with superior motion controlls ? It's not neccaserily the advanced technology that wins market share , it's how that technology is applied . When Nintendo lost with the gamecube , histroical trends would have indicated they would just release a super powerful console to rival that of Sony and MS  , but they went against historical trends why do people think that Sony and Microsoft lack the capacity to do the same ?.

Alll Nintendo's I.P's owe their success to the innovation in technology you might aswell put a big (motion controll/touchscreen) because the software was only realy facilitiated by the technology , if you think about it it's only logical that Nintendo would release Wii Sports , Wii Fit etc the real genius is in the motion control/touch screen innovations. None of those games would have sold more than 500k with traditional controls.

Will Nintendo's innovation in technology secure them another generation , I think it's likely it won't for two reasons.

(1) Sony and MS would have had the opportunity to learn from their mistakes , underdogs are typicaly more hungry (hence more innovative, thoughtful in strategy) for success.

(2) Nintendo is more likely to rely on proven methods instead of taking the huge risk of a big innovation in technology (i'm not so sure that Ninendo had a 100% the Wii would be the market leader it is today , I think it was more a leap of faith than a calculated risk , there was no demographic they could test their hypothesis against.)

The gaming market is fast changing and dynamic , I don't think Nintendo acknowledged this fully instead they've created I.P's which all conform to the Wii___ concept , what if Sony or Microsoft realise a better way of applying the motion controlls , what if they come out with something superior . This will mean that the distinguishing selling point of the Nintendo brand will mean nothing , they also won't have any new I.P's to rely on , it'll be the same old Nitnendo that got their asses handed to them in the N64,GC era.

Around the Network

Monado

Disaster

Whatever Project Sora is working on

Whatever Retro is working on

I'm sure there are more.

Million said:
Onyxmeth said:
Million said:
People really have that much confidence in Wii___ titles ? . And how is Nintendo going to differentiate themselves when Sony and Microsoft come out with their alternatives next gen ? ( possibly being the superior ones )

You really think it's that easy to get traction in the market? Just come out with superior motion controls and let it ride? If Sony and Microsoft think the same way you do(which I believe they do) they're going to be in for a rude awakening next gen the same they were this gen.

Of course everyone has confidence in Wii titles. They sell gangbusters. As Nintendo comes out with new platforms, peripherals, etc. they'll create new exciting Wii branded software to go with them that are purposely tailored to that particular peripheral. They don't need to keep repeating the same titles when they have so many fresh and original ideas. If any gen has shown Nintendo is the king of new IPs, it's this gen, over even the NES era.

Nintendogs
Brain Age
Wii Sports
Wii Fit
Wii Play

All 15+ million sellers per title. Can you remind me the last time Sony or Microsoft pulled off this feat? Oh right. Sony did...once. It took them until the third try on a franchise for it to happen. If you want to be worried, worry about Sony and Microsoft's new IPs. They're not selling so hot in comparison to Nintendo's.

Your getting trapped in the same mentality that got Sony's ass kicked , who said anything about coming out with superior motion controlls ? It's not neccaserily the advanced technology that wins market share , it's how that technology is applied . When Nintendo lost with the gamecube , histroical trends would have indicated they would just release a super powerful console to rival that of Sony and MS  , but they went against historical trends why do people think that Sony and Microsoft lack the capacity to do the same ?.

Alll Nintendo's I.P's owe their success to the innovation in technology you might aswell put a big (motion controll/touchscreen) because the software was only realy facilitiated by the technology , if you think about it it's only logical that Nintendo would release Wii Sports , Wii Fit etc the real genius is in the motion control/touch screen innovations. None of those games would have sold more than 500k with traditional controls.

Will Nintendo's innovation in technology secure them another generation , I think it's likely it won't for two reasons.

(1) Sony and MS would have had the opportunity to learn from their mistakes , underdogs are typicaly more hungry (hence more innovative, thoughtful in strategy) for success.

(2) Nintendo is more likely to rely on proven methods instead of taking the huge risk of a big innovation in technology (i'm not so sure that Ninendo had a 100% the Wii would be the market leader it is today , I think it was more a leap of faith than a calculated risk , there was no demographic they could test their hypothesis against.)

The gaming market is fast changing and dynamic , I don't think Nintendo acknowledged this fully instead they've created I.P's which all conform to the Wii___ concept , what if Sony or Microsoft realise a better way of applying the motion controlls , what if they come out with something superior . This will mean that the distinguishing selling point of the Nintendo brand will mean nothing , they also won't have any new I.P's to rely on , it'll be the same old Nitnendo that got their asses handed to them in the N64,GC era.

The only thing you're doing is rewording "superior motion controls" to "superior appliance of motion controls". Stop being so contradictory.

Also, even if we go your way and completely disregard the Wii series, the ONLY exclusive IP that can even be mentioned in the same breath as Nintendo's big hitters (Mario, Zelda, Pokémon) is Halo. That's probably not going to change. Nintendo already have their big IPs ... Sony and Microsoft were forced to create their IPs because Nintendo already had.

@Million: What? That didn't make much sense.

The reason the new IP:s exists, is because the market is dynamic. Then again, the market is dynamic also because of these new kinds of games.

Also, the user input was created for the games "that sell because of the tech". And also, the tech is selling only because of these games.

I think the Nintendo philosophy, i described above, is what keeps them on top. Nintendo isn't going to keep just improving the hardware next gen, they are going to bring out something new to interact with. If you keep on going the same way, you'll lose customers, since they want something new.
Despite Gameboy being the market leader in handhelds, Nintendo created the DS. So, why wouldn't they make something new out of Wii just as well.

Iwata expected Wii to outsell PS2, and yes, there is a demographic you can test it with, it's the people you see everywhere. Also, DS played a big part in Wii developement. If DS had flopped, Wii had gone back to design table. And that was also the device Nintendo tested the market with.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Million said:
Onyxmeth said:
Million said:

Nintendogs
Brain Age
Wii Sports
Wii Fit
Wii Play

The only thing you're doing is rewording "superior motion controls" to "superior appliance of motion controls". Stop being so contradictory.

Also, even if we go your way and completely disregard the Wii series, the ONLY exclusive IP that can even be mentioned in the same breath as Nintendo's big hitters (Mario, Zelda, Pokémon) is Halo. That's probably not going to change. Nintendo already have their big IPs ... Sony and Microsoft were forced to create their IPs because Nintendo already had.

How is making the distinction between superior motion controls and the application of motion controls contradictory ? . People argue that all Sony and MS will do is come out with superior motion control technology , I argued in response that the advancement in technology isn't relevant , it's how the technology is applied that is .

Million said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Million said:
Onyxmeth said:
Million said:

Nintendogs
Brain Age
Wii Sports
Wii Fit
Wii Play

How is making the distinction between superior motion controls and the application of motion controls contradictory ? . People argue that all Sony and MS will do is come out with superior motion control technology , I argued in response that the advancement in technology isn't relevant , it's how the technology is applied that is .

And what leads you to believe they'll apply the technology better anyway? Fact of the matter, Gamecube and Xbox were both superior to the PS2 in pretty much every way. But people knew PlayStation. While they also knew Microsoft and Nintendo, they did not know Gamecube or Xbox. People know Wii. People love Do the math.