By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 maxed out, PlayStation3 isn't.

NightAntilli said:
Go away fanboy. You have no idea what you're talking about, I'm sure.

LOL...of course not....fanboy

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
slowmo said:

The 360 has never had few titles developed for it from scratch with a custom built engine that is tailored to its hardware. The fact of the matter is that all the games that you and many others state prove the PS3 is better graphically than the 360, all use custom built engines and rather blatantly the developers use many tricks and workarounds to get the best out of the hardware. It's like comparing a developer capable of excelling at assembly language on the PS2 to another purely using the original dev kit. It's blatant which will appear the better graphically even with the same hardware in that case.

You're right, they'll use all sorts of tricks but console development is all about (at least it used to be) optimising a game and gearing it to the hardware. I find as a lot of PC developers have gotten into console development they're not as good at optimising for the hardware available, as they've previously had an ever increasing pool of RAM, CPU & GPU power. Of course in multiplats this is even worse, but is more understandable. I mean Team Ico managed to get HDR lighting (fake) to work on the PS2! It may have been faked, but the effect on screen was the same.

Having said that weren't Halo 3 and Fable 2 using custom engines? It seems odd, as Forza 3 has shown, the 360 does have more potential still available.

I actually edited my post to remove the "never" as I realised that it was incorrect but I must have made a mistake and missed it, you will notice that sentence is worded very badly compared to my usual writing style.  Halo 3 did indeed use a custom engine, while it looks nice enough there is a element in that game of making it still look familiar to the original series on old hardware.  The other issue with Halo 3 was probably it being geared heavily for a rock steady 60fps and it uses the double frame buffer.  All of this combines for a game that was made to be pretty but never a graphical powerhouse, which is funny given it was on the old xbox. 

I don't know much about Fable 2's engine but it does look very nice for a RPG imo.  The other engine that was a custom engine I knew of and exclusive was Forza 2 yet it appeared to me not particularly optimised for the 360 so it's another that was made to look good enough.  The PS3 must look better than the 360 for it to be seen worthy of the big price difference hence why Sony have been throwing money at games to make them look as good as possible.  In that instance it's the only way I think PS3 developments have helped the 360 in particular. 

@MikeB - I said what I thought and you'll not change my mind in that regard.  I don't believe you capable of being unbiased enough to conceed a title looks worse on the PS3 no matter how small the difference.  I'll give you a chance to prove me wrong, which looks better technically between GTA IV on 360 or PS3, bearing in mind the 360 version has significant resolution advantage.  Finally last generation when the PS2 was the worse console in pure performance terms how come multi platform titles didn't look worse on the xbox which was more powerful?

Don't know if this got posted yet but here goes..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/criterion-nobodys-maxed-out-ps3-360

http://kotaku.com/5289568/burnout-dev-no-ones-ever-maxed-a-console

Burnout Paradise developer Criterion reckons that developers who talk about maxing out the potential of a games console are being a bit silly.

"That's proof that you're not the best," technical director Richard Parr told Eurogamer's Digital Foundry channel. "It means you're out of ideas."

"You always find new ways to do things, the constraints lift. Not just with a new console generation but with every game you do," senior engineer Alex Fry added. "Whether it's a sequel or whether it's a new game, you learn to do things differently... better. The constraints go away because you learn. While it's nice to say you've maxed something out, there's not really any point."

piggychan said:

Don't know if this got posted yet but here goes..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/criterion-nobodys-maxed-out-ps3-360

http://kotaku.com/5289568/burnout-dev-no-ones-ever-maxed-a-console

Burnout Paradise developer Criterion reckons that developers who talk about maxing out the potential of a games console are being a bit silly.

"That's proof that you're not the best," technical director Richard Parr told Eurogamer's Digital Foundry channel. "It means you're out of ideas."

"You always find new ways to do things, the constraints lift. Not just with a new console generation but with every game you do," senior engineer Alex Fry added. "Whether it's a sequel or whether it's a new game, you learn to do things differently... better. The constraints go away because you learn. While it's nice to say you've maxed something out, there's not really any point."

10$ says MikeB who only quotes cherrypicked dev statements to support his views will ignore that.

Everybody with half a brain knows "MAXXING TEH CONSOLLEZ!" statements from devs are marketing hype for their games.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

@ Bitmap Frogs

Actually in general I agree with Criterion's statement regarding consoles (and actually all modern computer systems). However an Atari 2600 game will never reach the potential of a top c64 game, likewise a c64 game will never reach the technical ability of a top Amiga game and so forth.

But there is no such thing as the perfect game or game engine and with ever more sophisticated console hardware there will always be potential to up the ante just a bit more, also on the 360. I think "maxing out" rather relates to tapping all available resources at a given time for efficient developers. However there are always work arounds to be found.

What Criterion stated there is in line with my own past comments.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

@ Bitmap Frogs

10$ says MikeB

10 vg$ probably?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ Bitmap Frogs

Actually in general I agree with Criterion's statement regarding consoles (and actually all modern computer systems). However an Atari 2600 game will never reach the potential of a top c64 game, likewise a c64 game will never reach the technical ability of a top Amiga game and so forth.

But there is no such thing as the perfect game or game engine and with ever more sophisticated console hardware there will always be potential to up the ante just a bit more, also on the 360. I think "maxing out" rather relates to tapping all available resources at a given time for efficient developers. However there are always work arounds to be found.

What Criterion stated there is in line with my own past comments.

We all know how this works Mike, once something that doesn't go along with your propaganda efforts shows up you turn on "smile mode", wait a few days and then go back with the same lines and sentences. The threads where NJ5 chews you a new one are a living proof of that.

So you can skip the PR make-believe and continue with your sordid business as usual. 

Man, this is a sad, sad day. I remember at some point in time on this site people like you weren't allowed to engage in massive axe-grinding campaigns. But hey, the site needs hits and all hits are equal.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).