By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 maxed out, PlayStation3 isn't.

NoCtiS_NoX said:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=11181

EA: 360 maxed out, PlayStation3 isn't

Soderlund's comments came during E3, as he spoke to OXM about Microsoft's E3 presence.

"I like the Natal," he says. "That's cool. It's an interesting device, so I'm truly impressed by Xbox. It's my personal favourite console... I think Microsoft is on a roll right now. They're doing really well. If I was Sony, I would have a headache, to be honest."

However, he then goes on to say "Sony has a lot of good games this year. If you go to their booth, there's a very consistent, high quality product line-up and that will help them. I do think that we'll see developers inside the organisation getting to understand the PS3 better and I think that we're getting more power out of PS3 right now... I think that we've maxed out the 360 but we haven't maxed out the PS3."

Do you guys agree?

Discuss.

What about his part of the article:

"

Soderlund also had nice things to say about Microsoft though, particularly with regard to their latest techno-baby. "I like the Natal. That's cool. It's an interesting device, so I'm truly impressed by Xbox. It's my personal favourite console," he stated.

"I think Microsoft is on a roll right now. They're doing really well. If I was Sony, I would have a headache, to be honest."

"?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
XxXProphecyXxX said:
Sardauk said:
FonzGemini said:
Yes the 360 is maxed out already.

No console has ever been maxed out after 3 years...

what about the Wii??

Since its based on the Gamecube and that was released in 2001? It must be pretty tapped by now...

It's certainly untapped by most developers, seeing as a lot of Wii games look equal or worse than Gamecube games.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I agree that most probably no console of this gen is maxed out yet, should it have happened, we wouldn't have seen evident improvements in the latest games released, when maximum efficiency approaches, every further improvement becomes harder to get and looks less and less different from immediately previous achievements.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Squilliam said:
You know if my dad or mum went around saying that I had untapped potential all the time, im pretty sure that everyone would conclude on the spot I was either lazy or there was something wrong with me.

I think you look at this the wrong way, a dog takes 1 year to reach maturity and can take care of itself, etc. A human being takes much longer to mature, but provides well more potential.

But it's not like early 360 to PS3 ports were truly awful and early exclusives like Resistance and Motorstorm were impressive, they were not like Wii games or something. However IMO when compared to Uncharted 2, the PS3 has shown much bigger gains than the 360 also with the 1 year extra timespan. I expect this trend to continue for the PS3.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
Squilliam said:
You know if my dad or mum went around saying that I had untapped potential all the time, im pretty sure that everyone would conclude on the spot I was either lazy or there was something wrong with me.

I think you look at this the wrong way, a dog takes 1 year to reach maturity and can take care of itself, etc. A human being takes much longer to mature, but provides well more potential.

But it's not like early 360 to PS3 ports were truly awful and early exclusives like Resistance and Motorstorm were impressive, they were not like Wii games or something. However IMO when compared to Uncharted 2, the PS3 has shown much bigger gains than the 360 also with the 1 year extra timespan. I expect this trend to continue for the PS3.

*I like when you give this kind of smart answers, not the fanboy ones...

On topic, i believe both consoles have a lot of potential , and with better optimization the next generation is far from near future.

PS3 will probaply end up as the winner of this graphics war, but who cares with so many good games coming for both consoles???

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Squilliam said:
XxXProphecyXxX said:
Sardauk said:
FonzGemini said:
Yes the 360 is maxed out already.

No console has ever been maxed out after 3 years...

what about the Wii??

Since its based on the Gamecube and that was released in 2001? It must be pretty tapped by now...

It's certainly untapped by most developers, seeing as a lot of Wii games look equal or worse than Gamecube games.

Hmm you may be right, just one piece of info, were Nintendo games for the Gamecube 30 or 60fps my man? Because if they are 30 and the current ones are 60 then based of Nintendos own properties we don't have far to go for programming efficiency on the Wii with Nintendo games at least.

Tease.

MikeB said:

@ nightsurge

I was banned by VGChartz member Ausfalcon (a MorphOS advocate) at AmigaWorld, the guy who stalked me onto this forum. I confronted him with this fact there, hence the ban and deletion of my post.

As I told him, I view him as being far more malicious than some random XBox 360 fan like you.

Two things.  First, I did not give you your 90 day ban there, just as I did not give you your previous first ban there either (that you convienently forget to mention).  Will you blame me for your NeoGAF ban next as well?

Second, I'm a user of all three Amiga-like operating systems, Amiga OS, AROS, and MorphOS. 

Just as I am a user of PS3, PSP. Wii, and Xbox.  But in both cases you try to paint me as only favoring one.  The reason, because your arguments hold no water, so you are reduced to inaccurately calling me an Xbot and "MorphOS advocate").

Learn to take some responsibility over your multiple bans at multiple sites already.  And stop trying to shift the blame on others.  Anyone can look at my profile and know I am not an Xbot.

Currently playing:  PC:  Wolfenstein  PS2:  Final Fantasy X  PS3: All-Pro Football 2K8 Wii:  Force Unleashed  PSP:  God of War: CoO Xbox 360:  Gears of War 2  

Most anticipated game:  Dragon Age Origins (PC)

MikeB said:
Squilliam said:

I don't agree with you. There's no bigger gain than Forza 2 --> Forza 3. It's basically the same as the PS3. On multi-plats, the PS3 still underperforms compared to the X360. The only reason the PS3 has seen such a graphical improvement is because it has 1st party devs that make dedicated engines for it. The arguably best looking games on the X360 (GeOW, Mass Effect) are made by 3rd party devs and are running on a dated Unreal Engine. That explains the graphics thing. The first game to truly have a dedicated engine is Forza, Splinter Cell I don't know, but Alan Wake will have it too. After all those games are out, then we'll judge again. And everyone underestimates the Halo 3 engine. That engine is made for large levels, large number of enemies on screen, lots of lighting/reflections/explosions, and all those at the same time, so no wonder it runs at a sub-HD resolution with no AA. It's just an improved engine from the old xbox though so it's not specifically dedicated to the X360.

You are making the same mistake as a lot of people, and that mistake is "My eyes like the looks of that game more and therefore that system must be more powerful" but that's is simply false.

Truth does not fear investigation

MikeB said:
Squilliam said:

At 10* the polygon count and 4* the texture resolution. Forza 3 is the game which disproves your theories.

1. Its an Xbox 360 game.

2. It shows the largest measurable technical differences between the first/second iteration in this generation and the first game was no slouch.

3. Its using potential which has barely been used up until this point, the developers haven't even turned it on for most Xbox 360 games.

Tease.

wow another one of these threads. Its funny that every year a new game comes out that pushes the envelope for the 360 further think gears 1 < gears 2. We should all know that this is a lie by now. it all depends on how well the develpoers code their engines and there can never be a code that is too well optimized. we will forever see better and better graphics on all 3 consoles

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!!