By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA Says Sony's Motion Tech Is More Accessible Than Microsoft's

I personally thought PS3's motion controller was pretty friggin sweet ! EA put it in good words though "more importantly is that it looks like a great bridge technology, meaning you'll be able do a lot of things that you could never do before with game platforms."

Around the Network

isn't it TOO LITTLE TOO LATE for both SONY & MS?

Anyway I would agree with them....a controller is important

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

hatmoza 2.0 said:
I personally thought PS3's motion controller was pretty friggin sweet ! EA put it in good words though "more importantly is that it looks like a great bridge technology, meaning you'll be able do a lot of things that you could never do before with game platforms."

Like what?

Point, shoot, throw, aim....oh ooh...waggle...miss tennis balls when showing the controller to friends... anything else you can do with a dildo controller?

disolitude said:
hatmoza 2.0 said:

Like what?

Point, shoot, throw, aim....oh ooh...waggle...miss tennis balls when showing the controller to friends... anything else you can do with a dildo controller?

Accuracy and precision   

Have your avatar flip out when trying to do stuff, looking like a complete idiot while using it...

Around the Network
disolitude said:
hatmoza 2.0 said:

Like what?

Have you seen the building blocks manipulation segment of the demo? That's an example of something that could not be done with any console interface up to day.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Xen said:
Have your avatar flip out when trying to do stuff, looking like a complete idiot while using it...

You listed 2 negative things...now list the other 30 postive things you can do with Natal.

I pretty much listed everything you can do with a dildo controller...that is not X rated...

While Hatmoze pointed out that controller will have accuracy and precision...will this be enough to convince people to stop buying the cheaper Wii?

karimkassis4life5000 said:

If you weren't on hand to witness both new motion sensing techs from Microsoft and Sony at E3, you definitely missed out. Both were surprisingly impressive in their own ways, and EA has already said they're in full support of both.

In fact, EA chief John Riccitiello commented that he has been aware of both techs for "about 15 months," and that they have a "secret little laboratory" where they get to "screw around" with this innovative motion technology. He has some very interesting comments on both but here's what he had to say concerning Sony's offering:

"Probably something a little closer to the consumer experience as of today is the [motion] controller that Sony put out – that seems oddly somewhere between what Nintendo has out and what Microsoft announced. It's probably less jaw-dropping just to look at it. On the other hand, it's an engineering prototype so it'll probably be jaw-dropping by the time they bring it to market. But probably more importantly is that it looks like a great bridge technology, meaning you'll be able do a lot of things that you could never do before with game platforms. And it doesn't require quite the leap of faith that Natal does. So I think they've carved out very different market positions; my honest view is they are both [MS & Sony] going to expand the market in different ways and they're both going to be successful."

We will concur with that assessment and at the same time, ask one question of Nintendo: "watcha gonna do now?" No offense or anything, but what Microsoft and Sony showed off this week is leaps and bounds ahead of anything we've seen on the Wii. In fact, and forgive the insinuation, but something like the Wiimote is mere child's play in the face of such advanced technology. Well, the Wii has already made its mark, we suppose, and maybe it's time to let the big boys try to push the envelope.

nice.

Basically what he said is Sony is releasing something that tries to fit the middle of MS and Nintendo.  Focusing on the same basic mechanisms that is the 2 point motion controls everyone already knows.

MS is going for the future with it's technology, and targetting people Nintendo doesn't even have yet.  How many times do people forget them saying that at the conference?  The Natal can track 48 points on a person's body, recognize voice and face, ignore background movements, and more!

I don't know about you guys, but tracking 1 to 2 points of motion (Sony and Nintendo) seems a lot farther behind than tracking 48 points plus voice and facial recognition software including the ability to recognize tones and expressions.

Hmmm...couldn't the title of this thread be "EA Says Project Natal is a real breakthrough idea"?

That title would be almost a direct quote from the article linked, rather than an inferred statement, as the current title is.

Regardless, I don't have a PS3 and the motion controller isn't going to convince me to buy one (though the games they announce for it might). I do have a 360, but will only buy Natal if the games they make for it look intriguing. All the posturing about which one is better...well that's really just self-justification to relieve one's own dissonance, isn't it?

WereKitten said:

Have you seen the building blocks manipulation segment of the demo? That's an example of something that could not be done with any console interface up to day.

I played the new boom blox last week and you could do exactly the same thing with the wii mote. I built a glorious level of blocks which then i got to destroy with balls...and my wii dildo...