By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA Says Sony's Motion Tech Is More Accessible Than Microsoft's

karimkassis4life5000 said:

We will concur with that assessment and at the same time, ask one question of Nintendo: "watcha gonna do now?" No offense or anything, but what Microsoft and Sony showed off this week is leaps and bounds ahead of anything we've seen on the Wii. In fact, and forgive the insinuation, but something like the Wiimote is mere child's play in the face of such advanced technology. Well, the Wii has already made its mark, we suppose, and maybe it's time to let the big boys try to push the envelope.

nice.

Release Wii MotionPlus in 4 days with heavy third party support (for an addon) and build its userbase for the next 18 months while Sony and Microsoft attempt to build products out of their technology.

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
JEDE3 said:
People don't like add ons. I point you in the direction of Sega.

But Wii's balance board sales say otherwise, if there's the right software to sell them.

Isnt Wiis balance board sold with Wii Fit? and Isnt the Wii Market leader?

WereKitten said:
JEDE3 said:

But Wii's balance board sales say otherwise, if there's the right software to sell them.

BINGO!!! also lets not 4get Wii motion +..I really want NATAL and SONY mote to suceed

I think Microsoft's tech was more jaw dropping, but Sony is very smart with what they showed.

For something that almost definitely costs less than Natal to develop, Sony has created something that will be able to share the motion-centric third party titles which were originally designed for both Nintendo and Microsoft.

That may not ignite the passions of gamers like us, but often times its the most mediocre, mass market tech that has the greatest potential for sales.

With that being said, I am very curious as to what games Sony/Microsofts 1st/2nd party studios decide to represent the motion tech with.

Microsoft has to go with a fighting game imo. Not sure what level of support Sony is going to give their motion tech though.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

JEDE3 said:
WereKitten said:
JEDE3 said:

To most buyers of Wii Fit and balance board, they're one and the same thing, and the Wii is probably as transparent as any appliance. It's just the thing you buy to play with "that tennis and bowling game" and "that exercise and yoga thing that is like a scale".

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network

One reason why I hate Milo is because of Peter... "Science fiction and movies have not yet imagined this"

WTF was skynet and AI then pete?

WereKitten said:
JEDE3 said:
WereKitten said:
JEDE3 said:

To most buyers of Wii Fit and balance board, they're one and the same thing, and the Wii is probably as transparent as any appliance. It's just the thing you buy to play with "that tennis and bowling game" and "that exercise and yoga thing that is like a scale".

I dont think we are talking about the same thing.

Alterego-X said:
karimkassis4life5000 said:

We will concur with that assessment and at the same time, ask one question of Nintendo: "watcha gonna do now?" No offense or anything, but what Microsoft and Sony showed off this week is leaps and bounds ahead of anything we've seen on the Wii. In fact, and forgive the insinuation, but something like the Wiimote is mere child's play in the face of such advanced technology.

Yeah,  bcause superior hardware is the key to a successful console... NOT!

Woah your comprehension skils are really bad

"Probably something a little closer to the consumer experience as of today is the [motion] controller that Sony put out"

disolitude said:

Natal features not available for eyetoy (based from info that we have now...there could be more)

Scan your own gear in to the game

facial reckognition

voice reckognition

Full 3d space tracking (moving forward, backwards, left and right)

And most important...a multi billion dollar company standing behind it saying that they will develop it and support it.

I had an eyetoy and while it was cool, it was seriously underdevelopped. No one did anything with it. this is a big improvement over that product and Microsoft is standing behind it as their motion controller flag ship...they will not make it go to waste.

Natal motion recogition is technologically superior indeed, because it tracks your whole body and doesn't need any lighting to do that.

But facial/voice recognition are software features that can be integrated into an SDK for any camera-based system.

And as to scanning in to the game, have a look at the EyePet video: you draw shapes on real paper, and they are scanned into the game and transformed into virtual objects. That's again all up to the software.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
disolitude said:

Natal features not available for eyetoy (based from info that we have now...there could be more)

Scan your own gear in to the game

facial reckognition

voice reckognition

Full 3d space tracking (moving forward, backwards, left and right)

And most important...a multi billion dollar company standing behind it saying that they will develop it and support it.

I had an eyetoy and while it was cool, it was seriously underdevelopped. No one did anything with it. this is a big improvement over that product and Microsoft is standing behind it as their motion controller flag ship...they will not make it go to waste.

Natal motion recogition is technologically superior indeed, because it tracks your whole body and doesn't need any lighting to do that.

But facial/voice recognition are software features that can be integrated into an SDK for any camera-based system.

And as to scanning in to the game, have a look at the EyePet video: you draw shapes on real paper, and they are scanned into the game and transformed into virtual objects. That's again all up to the software.

You're right. I guess the main argument other than the 3d motion tracking is that MS has told the gaming world that this is how they will move forward with motion controls.  This means that tech will get attention and we will see some cool stuff...

As a sidenote, while eyetoy was a great innovation, it took most of its ques from the Dreameye, camera made for dreamcast. Were people ragging on eyetoy back then for being like dreameye with new some functions?