By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA Says Sony's Motion Tech Is More Accessible Than Microsoft's

WereKitten said:
NJ5 said:
WereKitten said:

You haven't looked at the video with the necessary attention then, or reflected enough about what you saw there :)

Since the camera can find the absolute position of both wands at the same time, you can translate and rotate pieces in absolute freedom.

That won't work with a Wiimote because you lose absolute positioning as soon as it isn't pointing at the led bar.

It doesn't completely lose absolute positioning, even if errors start creeping up a bit. But they can be quickly corrected as soon as the sensor bar is seen again.

I think we should wait until WM+ is out before jumping to conclusions about it.

You can keep computing the position by using the accelerations, but "quickly corrected"? How would you do that save having the virtual object jump when the leds are visible again to the wiimote?

That sounds like a very counter-intuitive behaviour. I rotate my hand on the spot and suddenly - for a mere technical reason the user is unaware of - the virtual object translates.

With Wm+, the bar is only used as reference for pointing at the screen (to know where the screen is), but that's all, with the comined sensors you have the position and rotation. For motion controls, the Wii remote does not need to point at the bar. This is way much cheaper than a camera

Around the Network

I think its brilliant, bottom line. Haters will hate anyways.

5:22 is just awesome

NJ5 said:
WereKitten said:

You can keep computing the position by using the accelerations, but "quickly corrected"? How would you do that save having the virtual object jump when the leds are visible again to the wiimote?

That sounds like a very counter-intuitive behaviour. I rotate my hand on the spot and suddenly - for a mere technical reason the user is unaware of - the virtual object translates.

It already happens with the IR when you point the Wii remote away from the sensor bar and then back in. That's not very frequent because most of the time you're pointing the wii remote forward.

And of course we don't know how much error would accumulate...

It's not very frequent because, due to this very technical limitation, Wii games have been designed to not mix IR pointing at the screen with big rotations of the Wiimote. Think in more general terms ( sword fighting, rotating objects etc) and those situations would crop up all the time.

As for how many errors would accumulate by relying on accelerometers, I can give you the benefit of the doubt... but the simple fact that Nintendo decided to add an IR camera to the Wii to track positioning suggests that it wasn't an acceptable solution.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

NJ5 said:

Sony's motion controls = Wii Motion Plus + Eyetoy

MS's motion controls are a different beast, not really comparable. I'm skeptical of it until they show some actual games.

Both of them don't seem to be getting getting launched anytime soon...

I have to disagree with you when you say that Sony's motion controls = Wii motion plus. All we know is what they shown. Where are the hands on impressions? Where are the games that use this technology in a one to one fashion. Until Sony and Microsoft release thier products all we have is speculation. But you guys will continue on with the system wars stuff regardless.

Dedicated to all the fanboys.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

hatmoza 2.0 said:

I think its brilliant, bottom line. Haters will hate anyways.

5:22 is just awesome

Brilliant? yes

Unique? no

Able to be done with cheaper technology? yes

Conclusion = a very good step in the right direction, but has loooong ways to go

Around the Network
the_bloodwalker said:
WereKitten said:

With Wm+, the bar is only used as reference for pointing at the screen (to know where the screen is), but that's all, with the comined sensors you have the position and rotation. For motion controls, the Wii remote does not need to point at the bar. This is way much cheaper than a camera

WM+ detects rotations only. The absolute position of the Wiimote is determined by the IR camera.

Motion controls don't need to poitn at the bar only if they don't depend on where you perform them.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

I have a strong feeling that Sony will release their montion controller with the release of GOW3 and blow people away when they announce that the game is compatible with their motion controller. Both the game and the contoller is set to release in spring 2010........... Hey a gamer can dream right??

WereKitten said:

It's not very frequent because, due to this very technical limitation, Wii games have been designed to not mix IR pointing at the screen with big rotations of the Wiimote. Think in more general terms ( sword fighting, rotating objects etc) and those situations would crop up all the time.

As for how many errors would accumulate by relying on accelerometers, I can give you the benefit of the doubt... but the simple fact that Nintendo decided to add an IR camera to the Wii to track positioning suggests that it wasn't an acceptable solution.

There have already been two or three public demonstrations of sword fighting with WM+ - AiLive like a year ago, Nintendo with Wii Sports Resort, and Red Steel 2 has swordfighting as its main mechanic. They seem to work great.

Simulating the IR with accelerometers was not possible because you don't know which direction the remote is moving towards. In a recent video of Red Steel 2 they say they use WM+ when the IR is not seen. Of course the IR is by definition 100% accurate (as far as not accumulating error goes), I'm sure WM+ is not quite as accurate but still seems accurate enough for a lot of applications.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

patjuan32 said:
NJ5 said:

Sony's motion controls = Wii Motion Plus + Eyetoy

MS's motion controls are a different beast, not really comparable. I'm skeptical of it until they show some actual games.

Both of them don't seem to be getting getting launched anytime soon...

I have to disagree with you when you say that Sony's motion controls = Wii motion plus. All we know is what they shown. Where are the hands on impressions? Where are the games that use this technology in a one to one fashion. Until Sony and Microsoft release thier products all we have is speculation. But you guys will continue on with the system wars stuff regardless.

Dedicated to all the fanboys.

I think it's pretty obvious that I'm going from what was shown. They did a pretty long demo which showed WM+ like functionality (sword handling and the like). Of course it adds the EyeToy as well, as I said.

Your image doesn't work btw.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

DirtyP2002 said:

I think Sony Motion-stuff is pretty much like Nintendo. It might be advanced, but it is not ground-breaking.

Natal IS groundbreaking. Log in just standing in front of the screen is pretty awesome. Voice recognition is insane.

Facial recognition can be done with any camera (as long as it's got a good enough definition to make out features), and voice recognition technology isn't exactly new.

Neither of those are ground breaking.

----

The fact of the matter is, neither Natal nor Sony's system is groundbreaking. I'm assuming that the Natal accessory is just an emitter that calculates a 3D environment from detecting how long it takes for the wave to bounce back (like bats.... and Daredevil). Sony's system is just a high-res camera that calculates changes in pixels on each frame, coupled with a higher precision six-axis in a dildo-shaped casing.

Sony could achieve 3D-world tracking through just using their camera to detect when objects get smaller or larger: the smaller they are, the further away from the screen they are.

What I'm basically saying is that neither of the solutions' hardware is groundbreaking, but where credit should really go to is the software engineers who not only are able to turn the 0s and 1s received from these devices into a rendered 3D world but are also able to do it in a way that other developers can implement the technologies easily into their projects.