By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA Says Sony's Motion Tech Is More Accessible Than Microsoft's

I think Sony Motion-stuff is pretty much like Nintendo. It might be advanced, but it is not ground-breaking.

Natal IS groundbreaking. Log in just standing in front of the screen is pretty awesome. Voice recognition is insane.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
JEDE3 said:
People don't like add ons. I point you in the direction of Sega.

But Wii's balance board sales say otherwise, if there's the right software to sell them.

But the Wii balance board is aimed at a market that was previously untapped again using the wii as a disruption and again you don't understand

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

nightsurge said:

Basically what he said is Sony is releasing something that tries to fit the middle of MS and Nintendo.  Focusing on the same basic mechanisms that is the 2 point motion controls everyone already knows.

MS is going for the future with it's technology, and targetting people Nintendo doesn't even have yet.  How many times do people forget them saying that at the conference?  The Natal can track 48 points on a person's body, recognize voice and face, ignore background movements, and more!

I don't know about you guys, but tracking 1 to 2 points of motion (Sony and Nintendo) seems a lot farther behind than tracking 48 points plus voice and facial recognition software including the ability to recognize tones and expressions.

Actually, it's not even two points on Sony's wand. I think the distance is calculated by the apparent size of the glowing ball.

But it's not about the number of points... for all we know the software used in Sony's demo could reliably track 500 of those balls at the same time.

Recognizing body motions and building a skeletal model out of it is simply an entirely different thing, and it will be great in this "pure" form for many things (dance games, fitness activity). But I do agree with the idea expressed by other psoters that they'll need to couple it with a wand controller of some kind for most games.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Sony's motion controls = Wii Motion Plus + Eyetoy

MS's motion controls are a different beast, not really comparable. I'm skeptical of it until they show some actual games.

Both of them don't seem to be getting getting launched anytime soon...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

WereKitten said:
nightsurge said:

Basically what he said is Sony is releasing something that tries to fit the middle of MS and Nintendo.  Focusing on the same basic mechanisms that is the 2 point motion controls everyone already knows.

MS is going for the future with it's technology, and targetting people Nintendo doesn't even have yet.  How many times do people forget them saying that at the conference?  The Natal can track 48 points on a person's body, recognize voice and face, ignore background movements, and more!

I don't know about you guys, but tracking 1 to 2 points of motion (Sony and Nintendo) seems a lot farther behind than tracking 48 points plus voice and facial recognition software including the ability to recognize tones and expressions.

Actually, it's not even two points on Sony's wand. I think the distance is calculated by the apparent size of the glowing ball.

But it's not about the number of points... for all we know the software used in Sony's demo could reliably track 500 of those balls at the same time.

Recognizing body motions and building a skeletal model out of it is simply an entirely different thing, and it will be great in this "pure" form for many things (dance games, fitness activity). But I do agree with the idea expressed by other psoters that they'll need to couple it with a wand controller of some kind for most games.

I agree as well.  Like FPS and any game that relies on characters moving throughout the level.  That is one definite road block to the Natal, but I really don't think Natal is meant for us FPS gamers and the like.  Only time will tell what they do with this tech.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
WereKitten said:

Have you seen the building blocks manipulation segment of the demo? That's an example of something that could not be done with any console interface up to day.

I played the new boom blox last week and you could do exactly the same thing with the wii mote. I built a glorious level of blocks which then i got to destroy with balls...and my wii dildo...

You haven't looked at the video with the necessary attention then, or reflected enough about what you saw there :)

Since the camera can find the absolute position of both wands at the same time, you can translate and rotate pieces in absolute freedom.

That won't work with a Wiimote because you lose absolute positioning as soon as it isn't pointing at the led bar.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

The tech in both looks quite intriguing. Which one is going to be more sucessful? I think that'll depend on price and software support, not tech.

WereKitten said:

You haven't looked at the video with the necessary attention then, or reflected enough about what you saw there :)

Since the camera can find the absolute position of both wands at the same time, you can translate and rotate pieces in absolute freedom.

That won't work with a Wiimote because you lose absolute positioning as soon as it isn't pointing at the led bar.

It doesn't completely lose absolute positioning, even if errors start creeping up a bit. But they can be quickly corrected as soon as the sensor bar is seen again.

I think we should wait until WM+ is out before jumping to conclusions about it.

NJ5 said:
WereKitten said:

It doesn't completely lose absolute positioning, even if errors start creeping up a bit. But they can be quickly corrected as soon as the sensor bar is seen again.

I think we should wait until WM+ is out before jumping to conclusions about it.

You can keep computing the position by using the accelerations, but "quickly corrected"? How would you do that save having the virtual object jump when the leds are visible again to the wiimote?

I rotate my hand on the spot and suddenly - for a mere technical reason the user is unaware of - the virtual object translates. Very bad behaviour for an interface that aims at being as intuitive as manipulation of real objects.

Plus as I said in another thread, the resolution of the Wiimote accelerometers is not really good for slow movements (I think their lower limit is around 20 cm/s^2), thus it will fail to register a lot of translations.

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:

You can keep computing the position by using the accelerations, but "quickly corrected"? How would you do that save having the virtual object jump when the leds are visible again to the wiimote?

That sounds like a very counter-intuitive behaviour. I rotate my hand on the spot and suddenly - for a mere technical reason the user is unaware of - the virtual object translates.

It already happens with the IR when you point the Wii remote away from the sensor bar and then back in. That's not very frequent because most of the time you're pointing the wii remote forward.

And of course we don't know how much error would accumulate...