By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA Says Sony's Motion Tech Is More Accessible Than Microsoft's

If you weren't on hand to witness both new motion sensing techs from Microsoft and Sony at E3, you definitely missed out. Both were surprisingly impressive in their own ways, and EA has already said they're in full support of both.

In fact, EA chief John Riccitiello commented that he has been aware of both techs for "about 15 months," and that they have a "secret little laboratory" where they get to "screw around" with this innovative motion technology. He has some very interesting comments on both but here's what he had to say concerning Sony's offering:

"Probably something a little closer to the consumer experience as of today is the [motion] controller that Sony put out – that seems oddly somewhere between what Nintendo has out and what Microsoft announced. It's probably less jaw-dropping just to look at it. On the other hand, it's an engineering prototype so it'll probably be jaw-dropping by the time they bring it to market. But probably more importantly is that it looks like a great bridge technology, meaning you'll be able do a lot of things that you could never do before with game platforms. And it doesn't require quite the leap of faith that Natal does. So I think they've carved out very different market positions; my honest view is they are both [MS & Sony] going to expand the market in different ways and they're both going to be successful."

We will concur with that assessment and at the same time, ask one question of Nintendo: "watcha gonna do now?" No offense or anything, but what Microsoft and Sony showed off this week is leaps and bounds ahead of anything we've seen on the Wii. In fact, and forgive the insinuation, but something like the Wiimote is mere child's play in the face of such advanced technology. Well, the Wii has already made its mark, we suppose, and maybe it's time to let the big boys try to push the envelope.

nice.

Around the Network
karimkassis4life5000 said:

We will concur with that assessment and at the same time, ask one question of Nintendo: "watcha gonna do now?" No offense or anything, but what Microsoft and Sony showed off this week is leaps and bounds ahead of anything we've seen on the Wii. In fact, and forgive the insinuation, but something like the Wiimote is mere child's play in the face of such advanced technology.

Yeah,  bcause superior hardware is the key to a successful console... NOT!

oooohhh

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Wii's already a household name, it doesn't have to do anything... it'll still sweep through this gen.

I'd like to try both peripherals, but I also find Sony's more accessible - mainly because I get to hold something instead of just jumping around in front of the TV.

this is crap, isn't sonys wiimote the same exact thing?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
karimkassis4life5000 said:

We will concur with that assessment and at the same time, ask one question of Nintendo: "watcha gonna do now?" No offense or anything, but what Microsoft and Sony showed off this week is leaps and bounds ahead of anything we've seen on the Wii. In fact, and forgive the insinuation, but something like the Wiimote is mere child's play in the face of such advanced technology. Well, the Wii has already made its mark, we suppose, and maybe it's time to let the big boys try to push the envelope.

Ha!

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

LOL is this guy for real?

With Natal, at any time Microsoft can release a purple dildo which will do exactly the same thing as sonys black dildo. But natal can do much much more.

Good luck holding on all pissed off MS fanboys now...

@disolitude. dude would you please stop reminding us that were playing with dildos

Who said that it'll look like it does by the time it releases? Sony's products are always sleek and fashionable, not clumsy like this unfinished prototype.