By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA Says Sony's Motion Tech Is More Accessible Than Microsoft's

then the PS3 method is pretty much the same as the Wiimote tbh, the IR bar is a little limiting for block manipulation because of the way the IR camera is on the Wiimote itself, but it can do the same thing still. Natal is pretty much entirely different if they really want to go for the "ROFL the controller is YOU!" way.

Around the Network

Will Sony's controller over vibration, and also come with a speaker? The only issue with the Wii controller was its precision. If WM+ deals with this, not sure what anyone would have complaints here, or consider it a "toy". It is also at a good price point and a standard controller for the Wii.

And now, we have the battle of motion control. Wii goes from cute to the center of a battlefield as a result. SHEESH, all I want is precise controls that are immersive (hopefully the computer assist can aid my sucking at some stuff).

well, the sony wand is not final yet, so we don't know what it will sport, but if it comes with everything the wiimote does, the only cost difference would be the IR camera, which won't be much.

edit: oh and of course the Wiimote's Bluetooth would make it a little more costly, licensing ftl.

lol..the big boys...i like that. Nintendo may be selling the most units, but most people will never take them seriously or consider them the market leader.

Not a 360 fanboy, just a PS3 fanboy hater that likes putting them in their place ^.^

shinyuhadouken said:
lol..the big boys...i like that. Nintendo may be selling the most units, but most people will never take them seriously or consider them the market leader.

that's more like in denial though, because they already are the market leader, it's like calling myself white even though I'm Asian, would be plain retarded.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
WereKitten said:

Again, everything is perfect in sword fighting where you control everything by the orientation of the sword only. When the positioning counts but you have same inclinations (various parrying stances?) that won't work.

I'm sure WM+ will work great with the games that have been designed around its limitations, that's almost circular reasoning. It still doesn't mean that it works well enough at everything that was demo-ed by Sony and MS.

I suppose you haven't watched this video. It has a few parts where he controls the height of a sword when the Wii Remote is not pointing forward.

This was done a year ago:

This debate would be much easier if you had actually seen what Wii MotionPlus is capable of.

I have some questions about this video, and I will be honest, I know nothing about the limitations of the WM+.

I notice that he holds down a button and then swings, lets go of the button and recenters.  Can he not swing the thing around?

I notice on the part where he is swinging around with it without centering it, it is around a pivot point?  Why would the do this?

On the part where he is hitting the person, I see the sword go way away from the position where the controller is after he finishes his movement.  Why is this?  The first swing he does against the guy goes way to the right.  Is this software issues or hardware issues?

And I personally don't like that they are probably again going to map movements from the controller to pre-defined animations as described at the end of the video.

Other than that, it looks like it will be neat to play around with.

JaggedSac said:
NJ5 said:
WereKitten said:

Again, everything is perfect in sword fighting where you control everything by the orientation of the sword only. When the positioning counts but you have same inclinations (various parrying stances?) that won't work.

I'm sure WM+ will work great with the games that have been designed around its limitations, that's almost circular reasoning. It still doesn't mean that it works well enough at everything that was demo-ed by Sony and MS.

I suppose you haven't watched this video. It has a few parts where he controls the height of a sword when the Wii Remote is not pointing forward.

This was done a year ago:

This debate would be much easier if you had actually seen what Wii MotionPlus is capable of.

I have some questions about this video, and I will be honest, I know nothing about the limitations of the WM+.

I notice that he holds down a button and then swings, lets go of the button and recenters. Can he not swing the thing around?

I notice on the part where he is swinging around with it without centering it, it is around a pivot point? Why would the do this?

On the part where he is hitting the person, I see the sword go way away from the position where the controller is after he finishes his movement. Why is this? The first swing he does against the guy goes way to the right. Is this software issues or hardware issues?

And I personally don't like that they are probably again going to map movements from the controller to pre-defined animations as described at the end of the video.

Other than that, it looks like it will be neat to play around with.

I think all the things you mentioned have more to do with them developing very simple demos, which are generally far less polished than any game, to show off the features of the Wiimotion plus. Pressing the button to re-center (probably) is just an act of resetting the demo, the sword is on a pivot point to ensure that he can easily hit the balls being thrown at him, and the sword goes off to the distance because it is set up to move based on his motions in a 1 to 1 fashion and is highly sensitive (to allow for small movements) and he moves his arm pretty far.

I know the conversation has switched to the abilities of the WM+ but just to bring this back to the OP for a second, the guy that posted that article either chose not to read everything and simply posted what he wanted or didn't like what he read.

EA knows that Natal is far more daring and they saw the PS3 as a good bridge to the Natal technology. He heavily complimented both products, as he should, since they are both a step forward for the industry.