By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSP GO is a MISTAKE! (have SONY not learnt anything)!!

mjk45 said:
you have to factor in retail in the price point of the psp go because they need more margin to justify them selling hardware without getting anything on the software side

Sony already addressed this issue. They plan on releasing PSN cards so retail could sell those instead of hard copies of games.

Around the Network

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=75868

"1. Some of us do in fact like the PSP Go!, and I would much rather have it than the PSP 3000. And by now, I have defended the Go! quite a lot, and I'm pretty damn sure I know what I'm talking about."

I never even thought about buying the PSP before this E3 till they showed off the Go!. it isn't because of the Go! itself but the SW they announced with it. GT PSP, LBP PSP, RE PSP, AC PSP and so many more. If I were to buy one now PSP Go! is definitily an option for me. I don't see the problem here. I may go with the 3000 though because of money.

Rainbird said:
Strategyking92 said:
JEDE3 said:

1. No need to call people delusional if they like something different than you.

2. Out of curiousity what features is the PSP Go! missing?

3. Why would you even compare a new model to a used model? Thats pretty stupid.

4. Im pretty sure he said all games will be availble.

1. I am a psp fan, and if you still like the go! even though it has eveything wrong with it.. Well, I cannot help but think other wise. Hard a good hard look at my reasonings, will you?

2. UMD drive..... And That's.... HUGE.

3. Because used models are even cheaper. But fine, you can get a psp 2000-3000 new for 170$.... Okay guy, let's add it up just for funzies!!!!!

Psp-170$

8 gigabyte memory stick-30$

50$ left for up to 10 UMD games

total: under 250$

But now, let's shop for an even better deal!

used psp 3000 bundle-160$ (includes game, movie, 1 gb card also)

8 gigabyte card- 30$

20$ psp store card

40$ left for games

total: under 250$

4. No, and this is 50% of my main beef with the go!. He said 100 new and old games (meaning over 50% will be ps1 games) will be available by launch. That's not bad, but when you consider the fact that there have been 429+ games released for the psp on umd, it's bullshit. Complete... bullshit... They are looking for a solution, yes, but I don't think they will find one (like their solution for pirating, lol). And also, to clear up what CACTUS SAID.... Sony said they WANT every game available. That is still wishful thinking at best.

If there is anything I haven't adressed about this downgrade... Tell me, so we can argue more.

1. Some of us do in fact like the PSP Go!, and I would much rather have it than the PSP 3000. And by now, I have defended the Go! quite a lot, and I'm pretty damn sure I know what I'm talking about.

2. It may be huge, but this is exactly why Sony are keeping the 3000 on the market. Because not everyone want a DD only handheld, and so the PSP Go! is not for everyone in that sense. Again, I would much rather have the Go! than the 3000.

3. The Go! is not just a downgraded PSP 3000. It's a thousand times more portable than any PSP before it, it's smaller, it's lighter, and you can carry a bunch of games around with you without buying extra storage. A recent PSP 3000 bundle was the Everyday Shooter one. You got a PSP 3000, a voucher to download the game and a 4 GB stick for $199. I think 16 GB will last much longer than many think.

4. I'm pretty sure that 'old' games refer to old PSP games and not PS1 games. And even so, every future UMD release will have a digital release, so Sony will just have to put a bit of effort into putting old PSP games on the PS Store, which I think will very much happen. As I see it right now, this is could be the only weakness of the PSP Go! at launch.

1. Except what I am about to bring to the table...

"Unfortunately, Koller also mentioned the company is "looking at what kind of games will be offered" when allowing users to actually play the discs they purchased."     LOL.

2. This is true, but it doesn't mean there is a reason for this... thing, instead of a psp-4000, with a UMD drive..

3.16 gigs will last a lot longer than many think, but so will UMDs, and an 8 gig memory stick (I still have 4.5 gigs left, personally). The former would also last alot longer, also. Hell, there is even a 16 gig card if you want to go EXTREME.

4. the fact that you think sony are going to put 70 more umd legacy games on the psn service by october first is not realistic.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

I dont get what the problem is, Sony are just adding another option for consumers, a more portable, compact, digital option of the PSP, they are keeping the $169 PSP 3000 on the market along with 4 bundles for $199 for added value.

Also Darth its likely this PSP GO! costs sony less money to make than the PSP 3000, and being $249 generates MAJOR profit for sony, the PSP GO! along with PSP 3000 are also important because they are a wall against piracy on PSP, this will end up giving the PSP higher software sales.

mM
Around the Network
saicho said:
Sony explained the position for PSP Go in this interview with Gamasutra

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23918

But Koller says Sony sees it as a "two-model strategy," wherein the PSP Go is the "premium-end" product to the PSP-3000's lower-end.

"From a target perspective the 3000 targets, and has been targeting, a lower income teen consumer... much more urban," says Koller. The demographics of the product are "very ethnic" ; 40 percent of PSP owners are Hispanic, for example.

I see a problem here.  The problem is their lower priced unit has greater functionality then the more expensive unit.  You do get a smaller system, that is lighter, and it comes with internal memory, but LESS functionality.  You don't have the UMD, for one thing.  And anyone care to explain why there isn't a second analog stick on the Go?  You CAN code games so they either use them or they don't.  It is to cop out stating "isolating" your original owners.  You do the same here.

richardhutnik said:

I see a problem here.  The problem is their lower priced unit has greater functionality then the more expensive unit.  You do get a smaller system, that is lighter, and it comes with internal memory, but LESS functionality.  You don't have the UMD, for one thing.  And anyone care to explain why there isn't a second analog stick on the Go?  You CAN code games so they either use them or they don't.  It is to cop out stating "isolating" your original owners.  You do the same here.

So, all of a sudden, UMD adds more functionality for PSP?

I remember people used to claim UMD is the worst thing that could happen to PSP: slow loading, battery consumption, size....

What's the point of releasing a PSP Go with UMD?

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Strategyking92 said:
Rainbird said:

1. Some of us do in fact like the PSP Go!, and I would much rather have it than the PSP 3000. And by now, I have defended the Go! quite a lot, and I'm pretty damn sure I know what I'm talking about.

2. It may be huge, but this is exactly why Sony are keeping the 3000 on the market. Because not everyone want a DD only handheld, and so the PSP Go! is not for everyone in that sense. Again, I would much rather have the Go! than the 3000.

3. The Go! is not just a downgraded PSP 3000. It's a thousand times more portable than any PSP before it, it's smaller, it's lighter, and you can carry a bunch of games around with you without buying extra storage. A recent PSP 3000 bundle was the Everyday Shooter one. You got a PSP 3000, a voucher to download the game and a 4 GB stick for $199. I think 16 GB will last much longer than many think.

4. I'm pretty sure that 'old' games refer to old PSP games and not PS1 games. And even so, every future UMD release will have a digital release, so Sony will just have to put a bit of effort into putting old PSP games on the PS Store, which I think will very much happen. As I see it right now, this is could be the only weakness of the PSP Go! at launch.

1. Except what I am about to bring to the table...

"Unfortunately, Koller also mentioned the company is "looking at what kind of games will be offered" when allowing users to actually play the discs they purchased."     LOL.

2. This is true, but it doesn't mean there is a reason for this... thing, instead of a psp-4000, with a UMD drive..

3.16 gigs will last a lot longer than many think, but so will UMDs, and an 8 gig memory stick (I still have 4.5 gigs left, personally). The former would also last alot longer, also. Hell, there is even a 16 gig card if you want to go EXTREME.

4. the fact that you think sony are going to put 70 more umd legacy games on the psn service by october first is not realistic.

1. I'm not sure I get your point here. Is he talking about that good will program with what UMDs might become playable or what? Because if he isn't, then I will simply be left confused here

2. Actually, Sony could very well be testing the waters for the PSP2. If people are willing to get the PSP Go! and by software with it, then it might be a viable option for the PSP2 to be purely DD, which I think is what Sony want to find out.

3. UMDs are also noisy in the drive, use a lot of battery power, the moving parts in the drive means the PSP is at a greater risk of hardware failure and you have to carry your UMDs around with you, if you want to change game on the go. All of this has been solved with the PSP Go!

4. I don't know if it is or not, but why should Sony stop putting old UMD games up on the store once the Go! releases? If I were Sony, I would wait until we were closer to the release of the Go! to start putting all these games up, so that they are more fresh in mind for people, and I would also make sure to have something new from week to week.

wenlan said:
richardhutnik said:

So, all of a sudden, UMD adds more functionality for PSP?

I remember people used to claim UMD is the worst thing that could happen to PSP: slow loading, battery consumption, size....

What's the point of releasing a PSP Go with UMD?

To satisfy the people who don't get what the GO is for. I really don't know what the problem is other than price. The GO is DD only, but the 3k will be sold along side the GO for people who would rather buy the UMD. Removing the UMD and making it more portable is a good move since they are still supporting the 3k. New consumers looking for a PSP would choose the GO over the 3k because it is more portable, there's a possibility of extended battery life, and you don't have to carry around UMDs with you. Sony didn't release the GO for people who already have a PSP exclusively. I will say once again that the only problem I see with the GO is the price.

I find this dumb because this won't slow down piracy. I will think that this would flop simply because the PSP 3000 is a better option. Rather than buying a 250 counterpart they would probably opt for a cheaper one. Now the PSP GO! won't just be competing with Nintendo DS but also the PSP-3000.

They should have kept this one for PSP2. IMO this will flop big time.