By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSP GO is a MISTAKE! (have SONY not learnt anything)!!

i think its alot better than the origional PSP. My only argument is that its $250 and doesnt have the second analog stick

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network

i like the redesign..its a lil too early for a new portable console and this personal will get me back into portable gaming...a phone would have been nice but with the new phones from sony ericksson that are on tap i can see why the left out...no camera is ridiculous tho.

I'm not martin luther king. I don't have a dream. I have a plan

Sell a man a fish you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish you just ruined a perfect business opportunity.

We didn't emerge out of the stone age because we ran out of stones. Its time to be proactive not reactive.

First of all - PSP GO costs ~ 250$ simply because Sony want to make some money on early adopters. I'm entirely sure PSP GO is cheaper to develop than PSP Lite

- smaller display /3,8" in place of 4,3"/

- smaller and simpler casing

- no UMD

- with smaller energy consumption there is the space to use smaller battery capacity and keep current performace

- shorter production line

They have added

-bluetooth

-M2 port

PSP GO will cost as many as standard PSP soon. Maybe even before Christmas. Mark my words. This is a price for a special group of costumers.

It releases in Oct. They are most definatly going to ride out Christmas at that price point and wait till the demand dies from the holidays. I would say Price drop in early April.

XanderZane said:
dharh said:
XanderZane said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@mrstickball

well their PS3 direction for me negates all the PSP mistakes done with GO!

Yeah.. I'll get the UMD version when it comes out. PSP Go is a joke. Don't get me wrong. Sony had the right idea, they just didn't complete the task, that's all. Everything they have for the PSP GO is just about right. Here are the things they forgot.

1) 16GB Flash or SD memory is ok, but 30GB would have been much better. That's a lot of downloads and movies right there.

2) Where's the 2nd Analog stick? Gamers practically begged for this and Sony didn't deliver.

3) What, no Touch screen options? The Wii, IPhone and even the IPod has this feature. Why did Sony skip on this?

4) No Phone features. Sony could have made this an option for a higher price PSP. Having a phone, with Touch Screen text would have been awesome for the PSP. It could have easily had competed with Apple's IPhone if done right. Especially with all the Apps they could have added.

5) UMD backward compatible. Why they didn't include an UMD slot is beyond me. Having 100% B/C is a must for handheld devices. That is why the DS Lite sold so well. With the DSi, you can't play older Gameboy games on it. Sony really blew it by not keeping this option.

6) No camera. Huh!?!? Even the DSi has one. What was Sony thinking? This obviously would be a feature with the phone option of course, but it would be a must have.

7) Priced to high. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/03/AR2009060302563.html

It's definitely priced to high with the PSP 3000 almost $80 less. $200 would have been a much better price. It obviously price this high so that Sony can make some serious money off of it to make up for $1.7 billion in losses last year. That's why there was no PS3 Price cut announced as well.

if Sony had added all these features they could have kept the price at $250 without the phone and $300 (or $325) with the phone. I think it would sell pretty well too. The way it stands now, I can't even see them selling 2-3 million of these before the end of the year.

1) People will have a couple games on their PSPGO and keep the rest on their PS3/COMP. I know I don't put my entire music folder on my PSP3k. Even a PSPGO 32GB wouldn't be enough for that. Hell the 500GB portable hard drive I carry around is not enough for all my media.

2) Second analog stick is nice for certain games but its not necessary. Thus I have never seen a need for it. I think its a non-issue.

3) PSP2 might be a good time to add a touch screen, but another iteration of the PSP1? No.

4) SKYPE. Otherwise it'd be a phone not a game machine and you'd have to buy it from AT&T.

5) Because UMD sucks. Nintendo doesn't even have 100% backward compatability anymore. You'll be able download those UMD games in the future, and it might even be free for people who already bought the UMD versions.

6) I have a camera on my phone. I never use the camera on my DSi, and I'd never use one on a PSPGO. For crying out loud, does my watch need to be a phone and have a camera now?

7) Price is just right. If you want to go the cheeper route buy the PSP3k which is better suited for you apparently anyway. PSP3k will continue to be supported until a PSP4k or EOL. PSPGO 32GB is not meant to replace the PSP3k.

I already own a PSP and won't waste my time on the PSP GO. I'm not paying extra money to download a game I already own and works perfectly well on UMD. Yes, UMD sucked for movies, but it works perfectly fine for games. Except for some slowness, it works great. PSP GO is only 16GB. Sony should have just waited and released the PSP4K or PSP2 with at least some of the features I meantioned. Oh well. Their lose. Microsoft will probably best them with a handheld in a few years anyways.

You are obviously not their target gamer.  What you want I wouldn't even buy.  I don't want a PSP-PHONE nor do I think a touch screen should be added until PSP2, which this is not.  

You probably wont have to re-buy your games, they will have a good-will program to verify you own the UMD game and then can download it to your PSP/PS3. 

16 GB is perfectly fine, you don't need to carry every game/music/movie on your PSP.  Also you can get an 8 gig stick for less than $100.  Please remember guys, it is not a Hard Drive in there, its flash memory.  PSPGO 32 GB would have cost us $300+.

MS handheld will be out soon.  It's that Zune Pink thing and it sucks just like every other zune they've made.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

if it retails for 180 GBP then i will get it without a doubt.

Have you thought they intend this to sky rocket in japan so they can make lots of money off of it. i mean this portable probably costs less then current psp's to manufacture.

Selling it for such a profit will give them more breaving room to be more competitive with the PS3 price

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

I'll wait and see a component breakdown first before making a final judgement. I think we can't underestimate the cost of putting 16GB of flash memory into the PSP, it might cost more than the UMD drive did at this point. However, I will say that im sure SONY is going to make a profit off this.

If they wanted to they could probably sell it for $199, but I think at very low profit.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

John Koller:
The problem is, with no physical games to sell for the PSP Go, why would retailers want to stock the system? "We still need retail, we need them for the 3000, we need them for the UMDs, we need them for this model," Koller says. He claims that some retailers gave Sony a standing ovation when they heard the details of the PSP Go's business model: retailers will be selling PlayStation Network cards, and they'll be selling the hardware. Also, here's an interesting tidbit that Koller revealed: "We've changed the model from a margin perspective from the 3000, so there are changes throughout," he explained. "We've made it very worth their while to carry the PSP Go."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/06/ars-talks-digital-distribution-with-sony-plays-with-psp-go.ars

And still some people seem to be under the delusion that it's NOT a huge mistake.

Everything is wrong about it.
It was funny to see the positive reactions to it though. Jeez.....

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=3806
"How do you make the next revision worse?
1. Give it less features than the previous model
2. make the screen smaller
3. make it cost 1.5 times more (2x if you buy a used 1000-2000)
4. make it ugly as sin
5. make sure that less than 25% of the systems games will work on it (talking about the only 100 games being available at launch compared to the current psp library)

SONY, YOU DID A BANG UP JOB THIS TIME."

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:
And still some people seem to be under the delusion that it's NOT a huge mistake.

Everything is wrong about it.
It was funny to see the positive reactions to it though. Jeez.....

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=3806
"How do you make the next revision worse?
1. Give it less features than the previous model
2. make the screen smaller
3. make it cost 1.5 times more (2x if you buy a used 1000-2000)
4. make it ugly as sin
5. make sure that less than 25% of the systems games will work on it (talking about the only 100 games being available at launch compared to the current psp library)

SONY, YOU DID A BANG UP JOB THIS TIME."

No need to call people delusional if they like something different than you.

Out of curiousity what features is the PSP Go! missing?

Why would you even compare a new model to a used model? Thats pretty stupid.

Im pretty sure he said all games will be availble.