By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSP GO is a MISTAKE! (have SONY not learnt anything)!!

psrock said:
wenlan said:

Gamers: UMD need to go~
Gamers: I want internal HD~
Gamers: PSP is too big, it's a joke to use it as a MP3 player~
Gamers: PSP's battery doesn't last long~

Sony: There you Go, PSP Go for you

Gamers: Fail!
Gamers: Ugly!
Gamers: Where is my 2nd analog stick?
Gamers: Too expensive!
Gamers: I don't want it!

Sony: Nintendo has the true vision to target the "casual" market, they don't complain, they just pay....

I love this post, so much win.

Im saving this post

Around the Network
Rainbird said:
XanderZane said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@mrstickball

well their PS3 direction for me negates all the PSP mistakes done with GO!

Yeah.. I'll get the UMD version when it comes out. PSP Go is a joke. Don't get me wrong. Sony had the right idea, they just didn't complete the task, that's all. Everything they have for the PSP GO is just about right. Here are the things they forgot.

1) 16GB Flash or SD memory is ok, but 30GB would have been much better. That's a lot of downloads and movies right there.

With the size of PSP games and the ability to add more yourself, making the PSP even more expensive by adding extra memory (which is not exactly cheap), would have been a wasted effort.

2) Where's the 2nd Analog stick? Gamers practically begged for this and Sony didn't deliver.

Okay, we have been over this a billion times, but whatever. Arhm arhm.

This is still a PSP, not a PSP2. If Sony had added the second stick, controls for future games could alienate the entire 50M+ PSP install base, which is one hell of a bad business move.

3) What, no Touch screen options? The Wii, IPhone and even the IPod has this feature. Why did Sony skip on this?

Why should they have it? To copy? To use for games and again alienate those 50M+ PSP owners who can't use it? It would be even stupider to have one, considering they are still selling the 3000, plus it would have made the PSP Go! more expensive.

4) No Phone features. Sony could have made this an option for a higher price PSP. Having a phone, with Touch Screen text would have been awesome for the PSP. It could have easily had competed with Apple's IPhone if done right. Especially with all the Apps they could have added.

Again, this is just copying and I doubt it would have competed well with the iPhone. And a more expensive PSP is not a good choice here, even if it is a second SKU. Besides, it already has Skype if you must use it for this.

5) UMD backward compatible. Why they didn't include an UMD slot is beyond me. Having 100% B/C is a must for handheld devices. That is why the DS Lite sold so well. With the DSi, you can't play older Gameboy games on it. Sony really blew it by not keeping this option.

Which is why old PSP games will be put up on the store, to make the Go! perfectly capable of playing older titles. If this device had in fact had an UMD drive, it would have defeated the entire purpose of making it more portable. It would use more power, weigh more, be bigger, more expensive and you would be carrying around games with you. There is a reason for why they will be selling the Go! alongside the 3000, Sony said themselves that this is in fact not for everyone.

6) No camera. Huh!?!? Even the DSi has one. What was Sony thinking? This obviously would be a feature with the phone option of course, but it would be a must have.

How is a camera a must have? Every cellphone has one, so if you want to take a picture use that instead of the crappy picture a PSP camera would give you. And again, the PSP is expensive enough as it is, there really is no need for a camera.

7) Priced to high. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/03/AR2009060302563.html

That I will agree with.

It's definitely priced to high with the PSP 3000 almost $80 less. $200 would have been a much better price. It obviously price this high so that Sony can make some serious money off of it to make up for $1.7 billion in losses last year. That's why there was no PS3 Price cut announced as well.

if Sony had added all these features they could have kept the price at $250 without the phone and $300 (or $325) with the phone. I think it would sell pretty well too. The way it stands now, I can't even see them selling 2-3 million of these before the end of the year.

No. By comparison, a 16 GB iPod Touch costs $299, and a 32 GB iPod Touch costs $399. Now, you want to add a touch screen, a camera, 16 GB of memory, a second analog stick and UMD compatibility and remain at $249. You sir, are delusional.

The PSP Go! is fine, just the way it is.

You sound like a displease fanboy trying to defend you favor product. lol!! Let me rebuttal you real quick.

1) Extra memory is always a good thing especially when Sony expects you to download 10-15 games on the PSP. Sure some of the games may be small, but if you include music and movies, 16GB will go fast. Having 25GB-30GB already in the system would be great. The system is already overpriced anyways. You even said people could add more, which means more money out of gamers pockets. Just include it to begin with.

2)  Having a 2nd analog would have been fine. For one, more  gamers would want to buy the PSP Go. Developers  could easily find alternate way to play their games without  the 2nd controller.

3) Having the Touch would be great for nagivating the screen, texting or online chats. Doesn't have to be just for games. If the game did use Touch it probably wouldn't be available for the PSP 3000. I think some of these games may be downloadable only with ever coming out on UMD format.

4) You keep saying this is copying. That's all Sony has done over the past 4 years, so why stop now. They copied Microsoft, then copied Wii. So what the hell are you talking about? Having a Phone feature on the PSP would be great. The future PSP I see completely eliminates the old PSP 3000. So there wouldn't be any compatibility issues.

5) Why would I want to pay for the same UMD PSP game for PSP Go. That's just stupid.

6) Camera would be perfect to e-mail pictures to your friends or put your face into a game. As I said it would only be associated with the phone features.

7) Of course the price is too high, whcih is why I added all the extra features to justify the price.   I think the IPod and IPod Touch are over priced as well. I did get one for the wife, but I got it on sale for $249.

You're dilusional if you think PSP owners or anyone else is going to shell out $250 for a PSP that is small and has less features then the PSP 3000 which is cheaper. That's dilusional.

'gaming till I'm gone'

dharh said:
XanderZane said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@mrstickball

well their PS3 direction for me negates all the PSP mistakes done with GO!

Yeah.. I'll get the UMD version when it comes out. PSP Go is a joke. Don't get me wrong. Sony had the right idea, they just didn't complete the task, that's all. Everything they have for the PSP GO is just about right. Here are the things they forgot.

1) 16GB Flash or SD memory is ok, but 30GB would have been much better. That's a lot of downloads and movies right there.

2) Where's the 2nd Analog stick? Gamers practically begged for this and Sony didn't deliver.

3) What, no Touch screen options? The Wii, IPhone and even the IPod has this feature. Why did Sony skip on this?

4) No Phone features. Sony could have made this an option for a higher price PSP. Having a phone, with Touch Screen text would have been awesome for the PSP. It could have easily had competed with Apple's IPhone if done right. Especially with all the Apps they could have added.

5) UMD backward compatible. Why they didn't include an UMD slot is beyond me. Having 100% B/C is a must for handheld devices. That is why the DS Lite sold so well. With the DSi, you can't play older Gameboy games on it. Sony really blew it by not keeping this option.

6) No camera. Huh!?!? Even the DSi has one. What was Sony thinking? This obviously would be a feature with the phone option of course, but it would be a must have.

7) Priced to high. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/03/AR2009060302563.html

It's definitely priced to high with the PSP 3000 almost $80 less. $200 would have been a much better price. It obviously price this high so that Sony can make some serious money off of it to make up for $1.7 billion in losses last year. That's why there was no PS3 Price cut announced as well.

if Sony had added all these features they could have kept the price at $250 without the phone and $300 (or $325) with the phone. I think it would sell pretty well too. The way it stands now, I can't even see them selling 2-3 million of these before the end of the year.

1) People will have a couple games on their PSPGO and keep the rest on their PS3/COMP. I know I don't put my entire music folder on my PSP3k. Even a PSPGO 32GB wouldn't be enough for that. Hell the 500GB portable hard drive I carry around is not enough for all my media.

2) Second analog stick is nice for certain games but its not necessary. Thus I have never seen a need for it. I think its a non-issue.

3) PSP2 might be a good time to add a touch screen, but another iteration of the PSP1? No.

4) SKYPE. Otherwise it'd be a phone not a game machine and you'd have to buy it from AT&T.

5) Because UMD sucks. Nintendo doesn't even have 100% backward compatability anymore. You'll be able download those UMD games in the future, and it might even be free for people who already bought the UMD versions.

6) I have a camera on my phone. I never use the camera on my DSi, and I'd never use one on a PSPGO. For crying out loud, does my watch need to be a phone and have a camera now?

7) Price is just right. If you want to go the cheeper route buy the PSP3k which is better suited for you apparently anyway. PSP3k will continue to be supported until a PSP4k or EOL. PSPGO 32GB is not meant to replace the PSP3k.

I already own a PSP and won't waste my time on the PSP GO. I'm not paying extra money to download a game I already own and works perfectly well on UMD. Yes, UMD sucked for movies, but it works perfectly fine for games. Except for some slowness, it works great. PSP GO is only 16GB. Sony should have just waited and released the PSP4K or PSP2 with at least some of the features I meantioned. Oh well. Their lose. Microsoft will probably best them with a handheld in a few years anyways.

'gaming till I'm gone'

If the PSP Go is considered a mistake, I'm glad they made it. For the first time ever, I actually want a PSP.

It's all about the game.

XanderZane said:

You sound like a displease fanboy trying to defend you favor product. lol!! Let me rebuttal you real quick.

1) Extra memory is always a good thing especially when Sony expects you to download 10-15 games on the PSP. Sure some of the games may be small, but if you include music and movies, 16GB will go fast. Having 25GB-30GB already in the system would be great. The system is already overpriced anyways. You even said people could add more, which means more money out of gamers pockets. Just include it to begin with.

2)  Having a 2nd analog would have been fine. For one, more  gamers would want to buy the PSP Go. Developers  could easily find alternate way to play their games without  the 2nd controller.

3) Having the Touch would be great for nagivating the screen, texting or online chats. Doesn't have to be just for games. If the game did use Touch it probably wouldn't be available for the PSP 3000. I think some of these games may be downloadable only with ever coming out on UMD format.

4) You keep saying this is copying. That's all Sony has done over the past 4 years, so why stop now. They copied Microsoft, then copied Wii. So what the hell are you talking about? Having a Phone feature on the PSP would be great. The future PSP I see completely eliminates the old PSP 3000. So there wouldn't be any compatibility issues.

5) Why would I want to pay for the same UMD PSP game for PSP Go. That's just stupid.

6) Camera would be perfect to e-mail pictures to your friends or put your face into a game. As I said it would only be associated with the phone features.

7) Of course the price is too high, whcih is why I added all the extra features to justify the price.   I think the IPod and IPod Touch are over priced as well. I did get one for the wife, but I got it on sale for $249.

You're dilusional if you think PSP owners or anyone else is going to shell out $250 for a PSP that is small and has less features then the PSP 3000 which is cheaper. That's dilusional.

Well you do realize that companies have to make money right? With the current exchange rates, the price of the PSP Go! could be nothing more than an insurance that money will be made. Now,

1) Of course extra memory is good, except when you have to pay for it. On amazon, a 16 GB Memory Stick Pro Duo costs £60. This shit is expensive (I know Sony obviously doesn't buy them at those prices, but it's still pretty high).

2) No, it would in fact not. Games designed with it in mind would have been cut off from every other PSP owner out there, and looking at the PSP Go!, where would you have put it? It would have been a waste of time and money to implement it while we are still on the actual PSP. If the PSP2 doesn't have it, then people can start complaining.

3) Again, there is no reason to. The Dpad does just fine, and in the end, it would only have served to increase the price, touch screens aren't cheap either.

4) No, it wouldn't be great, it would be completely useless. The PSP is not designed to be a phone, it's a gaming device. Should the DSi have had a high end SKU with phone features too then?

5) Maybe, just maybe, the PSP Go! doesn't force you to upgrade. You don't need to upgrade to the Go!, and even so, Sony have already said that they are working on a solution.

6) It's completely useless. Would you rather pay more and have it, or pay what we have now or not have it? I know I don't give a shit about having a camera, and even so, there is already a camera you can just attach to the PSP.

7) You may think they're overpriced, but creating a device like that costs money, and when the only difference between the 16 GB and 32 GB iPod Touches is just that, the price difference of $100 should give you an idea that this is not a cheap upgrade, even though the profit margin is obviously bigger on the 32 GB version.

No, that is in fact not delusional. Several members on these forums, myself included, have expressed great interest in getting one. And it's not like it has less features just for the sake of it. It will be bought because it's more portable than any PSP before it.

Around the Network

What the OP and several other people are neglecting here is that the PSP GO is not a replacement nor a successor for the PSP 3000.

Sony isn't forcing anyone to buy it. If gamers don't like it, then they can pick up a PSP 3000 or a Slim & Lite.

The PSP Go is probably just a way for them to test the waters for the true successor to the PSP.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Only 4 things wrong with the PSP GO, in term of the most wrong to the least:

1) Still no touchscreen when everyone else is

2) Still 802.11b when everyone else is g

3) 250 bucks

4) No camera, they have a cool new game now that uses this camera, and they didn't include it with the PSP GO

I'll wait for the PSP GO 2000

darthdevidem01 said:

I think the PSP GO! is a big mistake.

SONY don't seem to have learnt from their past experience in my opinion....

Mistakes:

#1. $250........remember E3 2006 & $599.....the price that turned this generation on its head. Well who the hell do they think is going buy a PSP GO! (which mind you I feel is a downgrade) for $250.

#2. DD Only.......right the i-phone worked due to apple's great experience with software that is DD & so on. SONY do not have such an experience & they are not as good as apple in the field. 16GB.....how many games will fit into that? 10 at maximum right? My UMD case at home can store 30 games in it!

#3. Games.........MGS:PW.....well I'm sure its going to be enjoyable, but its not really a system seller, surely people who loved MGS got a PSP for MGS:PO & MGS:Ac!d

#4. Consumer Base......SONY said they did research, but who did they ask. PSP's BIG gaming group is among the teens, the teens (14 - 18), many of them think DS is Kiddy.....how are they going justify PSP GO! when they have no credit cards (PSN cards better be coming).

On the other hand the good things SONY did:

#1. GT:Portable......that will kick start momentum.....but I would just buy a PSP 3000 & GTP on that.....why would I buy a PSP GO! for GT:P

They don't know who they are selling PSP GO! to, it will not be a success at all imo. People aren't ready for a DD only gaming system.

I see it bombing in sales.......<5 Million LTD for the console

Add in your own points or refute my points...atleast give a good explanation........I just see the PSP GO! being a waste of R & D budget! & OFCOURSE give your SALES predictions now that you see the shortcomings

EDIT: one last thing

SONY said it was for the "High end user".....jeez SONY, you tried to make PS3 for the high end user in 2007.....where did that get you.....CHANGE PLEASE!

1. Fully agree. I mean it's priced the same price as the Wii for christ sake. The 360 Arcade is $50 cheaper. It should have been $150 tops.

2. The PSP games range from 200MB to about 1.5GB and everywhere in between. You can fit way more than 10 games on the 16GB hard drive space. Plus you have a memory expansion slot I believe.

3. It is what it is. Not every game can be a system seller. Sony doesn't have control over Konami. Sony is providing Gran Turismo, Motorstorm, Jak and Daxter, and LittleBigPlanet. They're doing everything they can on their part and are coaxing third parties into providing the rest(MGS, Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed)

4. Agreed. PSN cards had better be readily available everywhere. I've recently seen them in the gift card sections of convenience stores like Walgreens and CVS. It's definitely a start.

I feel it will be successful at least in Japan, but with the PSP 3000 on the market also, it'll be impossible to determine the breakdown of sales unless Sony tells us.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

darthdevidem01 said:
@staude

Nope the price alone will be a big put off.....its a bad move.

If its is £249 in UK. thats so near to PS3 its, well shameful.

The price itself isn't the real problem, the thing is that you can get an X360 (and a game), a DS (for $50 more you can get a DSL AND a DSi..), a Wii and like you pointed out with a little more you can even get a PS3! It's ok when something is expensive but it's almost your only alternative, but when you have like 4 more products in the same range of price it's just really lame, why buy one when you have those options?

The only people that would likely buy this are:

1- Sony fans*

2- People who likes handhelds but also consoles

3- People who only like handhelds and dislike consoles

4- People who likes handheld but hate the DSi and consoles

5- Tech fans

I probably missed people but you get my point

*By Sony fans I mainly mean a "steriotype" of people who would get this no matter of the price, or people who really loves Sony's games.

The 1 and 5 people are the most likely to buy it because they can't live without sony's products or because they want to have the latest product etc, those people would likely get it with or without that price. I think that the people from 1 would rather get a new console than a handheld. The people from 3 could get one but like i said you can get, for $50 more, a DSLite and a DSi and it's very difficult for the PSP to fight against the huge and diverse DS gaming library (I'm not saying that the PSP has a bad gaming library). The people from 4 are very likely to buy one but there is a problem, the quantity of them is so small that they won't likely make a big difference.

Now, there is a huge problem from the people of 2, 3 and 4, that is that probably most of them already have a PSP, and really, why would they upgrade? The only improvement is that is smaller and lighter, about not carrying the games.. Seriously all that they have to do is hack the PSP and for those that would say "I don't do piracy", you can only buy your games, DL then, having them in the Memory Stick and playing them without feeling bad, this is not the best option to correct this, but if many people that ain't buy games do this, i don't see why people that legally get their games can't do this to solve some problems (specially save battery!)

Don't take me wrong, i like the idea of the PSP GO (although i'm not a big fan of DD) and i think this could make a impact, but that price is a really let down, i'd rather pay the difference between the PSP-3000 and the PSP GO for a better  battery than for this upgrade.

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

If I had 250 dollars I'd get a PSP Go...