By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Your opinion: Will this be SONY's last gen?

They will learn from their mistakes and return even stronger. Well, at least I think they're going to try it; it's pretty hard to say if they're actually going to learn anything (though I suppose they've been going in the better direction for a while now).

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Undying said:
axumblade said:
Undying said:
There is a chance. I mean we never thought Sega was gonna step down, but they did.

That's actually a good point. I don't think anybody thought Sega would drop out but they had many years of difficulty before they pulled out of the console market right? I'm really just asking because I'm not 100% sure. lol. I know the dreamcast and the saturn had some difficulties if I remember correctly. Of course I was raised on Nintendo so I didn't know much about sega except that I loved my gamegear more then my gameboy. lol

Well everything between the Genesis and the Dreamcast was a flop for Sega. At one point Sega had 3 or 4 active game systems on the market. The the PS2 came along and killed off the Dreamcast, which had an awesome first 1 and a half. That was when the economy was pretty strong BTW.

If Sony does atempt the PS4 it better start making them money ASAP.

The difference between Sony and Sega is that Sega had multiple failed generations. Not one of Sega's consoles has shipped more than 30 million units, while by the end of this year, two of Sony's will have crossed 100 million, three will have crossed 50 million, and every single console will have crossed 30 million.

Let's look at Sega's last three consoles:

DreamCast: 10.6 million

Saturn: 9.5 million

CD: 6 million

And Sony's last three consoles:

PS3: 22.44 million (and selling)

PSP: 47.73 million (and selling)

PS2: 136 million [shipped] (and selling)

While you're correct that you can't compare Sony to SEGA, sold units isn't exactly to say this. It doesn't matter that much if you have 2 systems that sold more than 100 units if you are losing money.

The difference between Sony and SEGA isn't that most Sony consoles have sold well, it's that SEGA was losing money since the Saturn days and Sony just started losing money this generation (they lost money in some PS1 and PS2 quarters but they recovered that money), but the thing is that Sony have lost tons of money this generation alone, so if another generation like this happens to Sony (which is not likely, Sony is smart enough to not make the same mistake twice) all of you who are laughing will have to start imagining the gaming wars without Sony.

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

slowmo said:
nen-suer said:
@slowmo

Nothing lasts forever (read the title) and the answer is no

but after seying ur avatar, never mind

I answered the OP, you had a dig, no point trying to sound reasonable now.

Youy said: 

"Sony will quit the market one day, just not anytime soon."

The secound part was the answer, the first part was not needed (but u have to say it dont you)

Please be honest and admit it

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

I hope not, but looking over Sony's financials, I think they are crossing their fingers, in hopes that this gen goes on for a LONG LONG time. It costs a lot of money to create and sell a new console when your marketing sucks. You can't do it if there is no profit in it for you. That is the way Sony is looking at stuff now. If there is profit, yes, there will be a PS4. If there isn't, Sony might skip a gen.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

nen-suer said:
slowmo said:
nen-suer said:
@slowmo

Youy said: 

The secound part was the answer, the first part was not needed (but u have to say it dont you)

The answer is quite clear in response to the garbage I replied to.  I see you have taken offence to my point that Sony will not always be in the gaming industry yet you think the guy I replied to originally was perfectly sound in his logic that all gaming innovation would end with Sony's withdrawl were you? 

It would seem you're more upset at me telling the truth rather than someone spreading lies, what does that say about you?

Please correct me how I was wrong in my estimation that Sony will leave the industry, like my admission that Microsoft will leave, both companies do not exist primarily for games.  I already stated that I don't think this is the last generation for Sony either so I don't see your point other than being petty.  I tell you want I'll look through your post history if you like and I'll find plenty of examples of you saying things in a post that I don't like then you can explain your actions too.  My post wasn't offensive to anyone except perhaps the misguided individual I quoted initially. 

Carry on if you must but I'm not retracting my statement or my stance that I believe in.  Just in case you missed what I originally replied to in this thread here you go:

solidahmed said:
well it will never happen but if happen then it will be the end of hard core gaming and the end of innovation.

Now take my response in it's full context.  I also find it amusing being lectured by a guy who thinks its clever to use M$ instead of MS, that was the main reason I tagged you a fanboy let alone your unhealthy hatred for the company.

Around the Network

I would like to see Nintendo and Sony partner up (as was the intention with the original Playstation) and take Microsoft and then Apple (touch screen multimedia portable) on just to see how they'd do.

Sony agrees to basically bow out of direct competetion with Nintendo and supplies them with CELL or CELL 2 to power Nintendo's Wii and DS successors. Sony still gets to make perhaps their own higher end version for the A/V market. PSN is used as a backbone network with music and movie downloads via Sony on Nintendo machines. Sony's game studios shift game development to these new Nintendo/Sony joint platforms. Kratos, Drake, etc. join Mario, Link, Samus, etc. 

Nintendo agrees to allow Sony to impliment DS2 tech into future touchscreen Walkman and Sony Ericsson cell phone devices to compete against iPhone/iPod. 

That would be a mega-giga-ton. 

Sony partnering with Nintendo? Possible? ermm...it be interesting to read up on that lol

The irony would be of course Nintendo + Sony were supposed to be partners all along, that's how the "Playstation" was born, it was supposed to be the CD drive for the SNES.

slowmo said:
nen-suer said:
slowmo said:
nen-suer said:
@slowmo

Youy said: 

The answer is quite clear in response to the garbage I replied to.  I see you have taken offence to my point that Sony will not always be in the gaming industry yet you think the guy I replied to originally was perfectly sound in his logic that all gaming innovation would end with Sony's withdrawl were you? 

It would seem you're more upset at me telling the truth rather than someone spreading lies, what does that say about you?

Please correct me how I was wrong in my estimation that Sony will leave the industry, like my admission that Microsoft will leave, both companies do not exist primarily for games.  I already stated that I don't think this is the last generation for Sony either so I don't see your point other than being petty.  I tell you want I'll look through your post history if you like and I'll find plenty of examples of you saying things in a post that I don't like then you can explain your actions too.  My post wasn't offensive to anyone except perhaps the misguided individual I quoted initially. 

Carry on if you must but I'm not retracting my statement or my stance that I believe in.  Just in case you missed what I originally replied to in this thread here you go:

solidahmed said:
well it will never happen but if happen then it will be the end of hard core gaming and the end of innovation.

Now take my response in it's full context.  I also find it amusing being lectured by a guy who thinks its clever to use M$ instead of MS, that was the main reason I tagged you a fanboy let alone your unhealthy hatred for the company.

I don't hate M$, i just love $ony

Loving something doesn't mean u have to hate the other (which alot of u think)

all i said was the first part was not needed, but if u think it was then fine lets end our talk here

BTW: I love Nintendo and Sega too

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Sony will never quit.

They dominated the last 2 generations...and this one is FAR FROM OVER. They can still catch MS (probably not Nintendo) and take 2nd place...

Plus the Wii proves sales can change drastically from generation to generation.

The reason SEGA stopped making consoles is because they had commercial NUMEROUS FAILURES (Sega CD, 32x, GameGear, Saturn, Dreamcast) that didnt make enough profit for them to continue.
This is the only time Sonys been in last place, and if you add up there sales for PSP, Ps2, and Ps3, youll see Sony is still selling a hell of a lot more than MS consoles.

"I don't have time to play video games anymore, but if I did, I would definitely choose the PlayStation 3 instead of the 360" - President Barack Obama