By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Your opinion: Will this be SONY's last gen?

nope you can't kill the sony brand that easily

Around the Network

This gen will not be their last, next gen maybe

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

CrazzyMan said:
Why would it?

They could even leave price at 399$ and continue selling PS3 with PROFIT.

They already sold 23 mln. PS3, they could sell another 10 mln. EVERY year, thnx to games like GT5, GoW3, FFXIII, FFXIIIv, HR, U2, TLG, FFXIV, Agent and etc.

That would make 50 mln. PS3 by the end of 2012 in WORST case.

BUT, they still will lower price to 199/299$ after some time and that will lead to 100+ mln. sales. =)

No, because this generation is already set in stone. People are turned off by the PS3 because it's nothing like the PS2 was last generation (PS2 appealed for everyone; PS3 is aimed at countering Microsoft with more advanced games that are on a more mature level) and the price.

Plus it's big and black. If you know anything about advertising, items that are darker in color don't appeal to people. White is a neutral color (well, it's not even a color but all colors mixed as one; like sunlight), and black is the absorbtion of color, and is rooted in history as being, "evil, dirty, death, dishonorable, misfortune," etc. (reading from my Microsoft Encarta Dictionary; yes, I still use it as I have the 2009 version and I know it's being discontinued). If you know anything about art, it is that black is a major turn off and is unattractive. That is one of the main reasons why people avoid the PS3 because it's not an inviting color/hue but a shade (darkness).

Nintendo went with a white color because white is friendly, open, and inviting. If you see it the way I see it, that is why the Wii sells a lot. Even with the black Wii being released, it will now be seen as a COOL factor because it wasn't the 'black sheep' to begin with (as the PS3 is).

=)))))))))

my ps2 was black.......

I'm not martin luther king. I don't have a dream. I have a plan

Sell a man a fish you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish you just ruined a perfect business opportunity.

We didn't emerge out of the stone age because we ran out of stones. Its time to be proactive not reactive.

Naraku_Diabolos said:
CrazzyMan said:
Why would it?

They could even leave price at 399$ and continue selling PS3 with PROFIT.

They already sold 23 mln. PS3, they could sell another 10 mln. EVERY year, thnx to games like GT5, GoW3, FFXIII, FFXIIIv, HR, U2, TLG, FFXIV, Agent and etc.

That would make 50 mln. PS3 by the end of 2012 in WORST case.

BUT, they still will lower price to 199/299$ after some time and that will lead to 100+ mln. sales. =)

No, because this generation is already set in stone. People are turned off by the PS3 because it's nothing like the PS2 was last generation (PS2 appealed for everyone; PS3 is aimed at countering Microsoft with more advanced games that are on a more mature level) and the price.

Plus it's big and black. If you know anything about advertising, items that are darker in color don't appeal to people. White is a neutral color (well, it's not even a color but all colors mixed as one; like sunlight), and black is the absorbtion of color, and is rooted in history as being, "evil, dirty, death, dishonorable, misfortune," etc. (reading from my Microsoft Encarta Dictionary; yes, I still use it as I have the 2009 version and I know it's being discontinued). If you know anything about art, it is that black is a major turn off and is unattractive. That is one of the main reasons why people avoid the PS3 because it's not an inviting color/hue but a shade (darkness).

Nintendo went with a white color because white is friendly, open, and inviting. If you see it the way I see it, that is why the Wii sells a lot. Even with the black Wii being released, it will now be seen as a COOL factor because it wasn't the 'black sheep' to begin with (as the PS3 is).

=)))))))))

Umm...I don't know where you have been since the PS2 came out...(maybe in the middle of the Atlantic ocean..looking at white Icebergs).but the majority of PS2 systems were Black. So yeah...just to tell you that your last 2 paragraphs are about as wrong as the earth being flat.

Around the Network

No, not a chance.

I think it's extremely unlikely that Sony will leave gaming. They really just need to change their business model and next generation they'll be in a better place.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

I say all three will continue for a long while lol......Pc and xbox 360 has similar games and pc hasnt died lol.....microsoft and sony delivers almost the same games.....Sony delivers some exclusives.....so no...they can continue. But if they dont put up their sleeves...and instead of just copy and bite off everything they will remain third place for a while to.

Stats87 said:
Falcon095 said:
Stats87 said:
Yup, just like how Nintendo gave up after the N64 and Gamecube got whooped

I already agreed that Sony this won't be Sony's last, but saying this as a reason shows your lack of gaming history knowladge and your lack of paying attention of the OP said.

yup, I read it, but I said it anyway, half-joking/half-just to see how many people it would upset

so far i'm at 2

The Xbox lost around 4 billion in 4 or so years and they didn't fold. There, does that response please you more?

Well, you sounded really serious so it's your fault

About your question.. Not really.. MS is like 8 times bigger than Sony and in one year the got profits of the market value of Sony, so if Sony can deal with loseing around like 3-5 billion with the PS3 i think MS was fine after losing 4 billions with the xbox

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

well it will never happen but if happen then it will be the end of hard core gaming and the end of innovation.