By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who will have a better library? Wii or Playstation 2

The wii doesnt even have the best library this Gen, hold up comparing it to last gen.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

YesWiiCan: Your next thread should be a comparison 2.5 yrs in, between the two consoles in question. Also I think people have rose colored glasses when looking back at the history of the PS2. Yes it had great games like MGS2, but for every great game there were heaps of Spongebobs and bob the builder or christina aguilera's karaoke master.

Why is it that all of a sudden the crap games on Wii are the ones that get trumpeted the most by ppl who dont like the system? Like they bring up cooking mama as if there isn't a game by the name of Mario Galaxy, or Metroid Prime Corruption.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Nothing against wii its a great console but i doubt a console will ever come close to ps2s library.

Tbone said:
Nothing against wii its a great console but i doubt a console will ever come close to ps2s library.

SNES has the superior library;) but that's a discussion for another thread.

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Tbone said:

I disagree. 

Both systems have Ninjabread Man and Anubis II.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:
YesWiiCan: Your next thread should be a comparison 2.5 yrs in, between the two consoles in question. Also I think people have rose colored glasses when looking back at the history of the PS2. Yes it had great games like MGS2, but for every great game there were heaps of Spongebobs and bob the builder or christina aguilera's karaoke master.

Why is it that all of a sudden the crap games on Wii are the ones that get trumpeted the most by ppl who dont like the system? Like they bring up cooking mama as if there isn't a game by the name of Mario Galaxy, or Metroid Prime Corruption.

games such as Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Zelda, and all of the other Nintendo first party ips would be on Nintendo's home console reguardless if the console was in 1st or last in sales

Sony in the PS1/PS2 days would have been nothing without its 3rd party success 

and if we go by metacritic the PS3&360 combo have a better chance at matching PS2's game quality than Wii

Arius Dion said:

Here's the closest you'll get.  The PS2 releases for it's first 2 and a half years

http://apps.metacritic.com/search/process?ty=3&ts=&tfs=game_all&sb=5&game_platform=PS2&release_date_s=3%2F4%2F2000&release_date_e=9%2F4%2F2002&x=27&y=13&metascore_s=&metascore_e=

which includes 24 games at a meta score of 90 or above

Wii is here for the same amount of time:

http://apps.metacritic.com/search/process?ty=3&ts=&tfs=game_all&sb=5&game_platform=wii&release_date_s=11%2F19%2F2006&release_date_e=5%2F19%2F2009&x=19&y=11&metascore_s=&metascore_e=

which has 8 games at a meta of 90 or above

AnarchyWest said:
Arius Dion said:

games such as Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Zelda, and all of the other Nintendo first party ips would be on Nintendo's home console reguardless if the console was in 1st or last in sales

Sony in the PS1/PS2 days would have been nothing without its 3rd party success 

and if we go by metacritic the PS3&360 combo have a better chance at matching PS2's game quality than Wii

So we are using MC..and eliminating Nintendo's first party offerings in the process...why?

I doubt the Wii library will hold a candle to the PS2 library when it's all said and done, but few consoles have that many great games and even when it falls short it should still have an impressive lineup. It is about preference too, but I see the wii severely lacking in many genres I care about, but that is true of every current gen console. In terms of number of quality exclusives, range of titles, range within each genre, and volume of quality titles available the ps2 will win.

Kind of off topic, but Virtual console is a good idea though it has its share of flaws, and I'd love a handheld built around the idea of the VC. They just need a much, much bigger library to offer to make me interested in it. It's a dealbreaker if some of my favorite SNES games of all time won't ever be available for the service.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Wii 2/HD will be a better comparison, because that will be a system coming off the market leading predecessor and third parties will take the system much more seriously from day 1.

The Wii will get better, but it's really not a fair comparison versus the PS2.

For what its worth I think Super Mario Galaxy is better than any game on the PS2 (then again it's probably the best game Nintendo has released in ages themselves).