By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who will have a better library? Wii or Playstation 2

Arius Dion said:
AnarchyWest said:
Arius Dion said:
YesWiiCan: Your next thread should be a comparison 2.5 yrs in, between the two consoles in question. Also I think people have rose colored glasses when looking back at the history of the PS2. Yes it had great games like MGS2, but for every great game there were heaps of Spongebobs and bob the builder or christina aguilera's karaoke master.

Why is it that all of a sudden the crap games on Wii are the ones that get trumpeted the most by ppl who dont like the system? Like they bring up cooking mama as if there isn't a game by the name of Mario Galaxy, or Metroid Prime Corruption.

games such as Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Zelda, and all of the other Nintendo first party ips would be on Nintendo's home console reguardless if the console was in 1st or last in sales

Sony in the PS1/PS2 days would have been nothing without its 3rd party success 

and if we go by metacritic the PS3&360 combo have a better chance at matching PS2's game quality than Wii

So we are using MC..and eliminating Nintendo's first party offerings in the process...why?

im not eliminating Nintendo's first party offering...everyone knows Nintendo's first party offering is excellent reguardless if their home console is in first or last

Around the Network
Soriku said:
shinyuhadouken said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Arius Dion said:
shinyuhadouken said:
Soriku said:
Shadowblind said:
Leonidus said:
You should of had the title be 'who will have the BIGGEST library'
If its based on size, the Wii will likely come out tops. If its based on quality, the PS2 is miles ahead

Pretty much...

And shinyu is also probably right, the Wii is running head first into the spot of 'crappiest game library ever.' However, its no fault of Nintendo. Its the fault of all the upstart crap devs taking advantage of Granny Moses and little Jimmy who now has a wii. As far as Ninty goes, with the exception of a few games everything they've put out has been good.

Oh hell no, not even close.

Name one other popular system with a shitty library?

Are you trying to call the WIi's library shitty?

In all  honesty the crap severely outweighs the good

Exactly...Just take a look at all the Wii games at Best Buy. You may find 5 good Wii games compared to 50 garbage games.

So? The last couple of times I went to a game store, the PS2 section had crap as well. That's why, as a gamer, you DON'T look at those walls. Instead you can go online or something to buy the games you want. Quite a lot of games I want I'll never be able to find in stores without looking hard.

There's been serious announcements for the Wii the last couple weeks, and yet you still call the Wii's library shitty? Stop the bullshit.

See this leads to the question of "do we count only the good games of each system, and pit them against each other, or the entire libraries of each system and put them side by side"?

Even then, theres the question of "System A has 2500 games, while System B has 700 games. So do we again, put the systems in comparison with each other, since System B could not have nearly the same percentage of shovelware as System A?"

Damn I really wish I could explain this better. Point is, comparing any two console's library's can't just be put against each other(really wish I had a better word for that right now >_> ) you'd have to have guidelines for how your comparing the console's libraries.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Depending on how long this generation lasts I think the Wii can win. Every year we see better and better third-party games coming for the system. It'll be just like the DS, maybe even moreso.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

After looking through the PS2s top games on gamerankings, there just isn't a whole lot that interests me. So for me, right now, the Wii library is better than the PS2 library. If you include VC and WW, it isn't even close.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

You do realize you just give people an excuse to bash the Wii by making this thread >.>.

That being said, I was never that into the PS2, aside from the MGS games, the main reason I bought one was for the PS1 backwards compatibility.
I however think Nintendo's first party titles trump that of anything on the PS2 (imo), and I find it a weak argument that "Nintendo has more crap games," because are you forced to buy them? I hope not :P. I just ignore them, and enjoy what I have n_n.

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Arius Dion said:
shinyuhadouken said:
Soriku said:
Shadowblind said:
Leonidus said:
If its based on size, the Wii will likely come out tops. If its based on quality, the PS2 is miles ahead

Pretty much...

And shinyu is also probably right, the Wii is running head first into the spot of 'crappiest game library ever.' However, its no fault of Nintendo. Its the fault of all the upstart crap devs taking advantage of Granny Moses and little Jimmy who now has a wii. As far as Ninty goes, with the exception of a few games everything they've put out has been good.

The same traits are evident for ALL marketleading consoles. No more pronounced than with the PS1/2.

True but in the case of PS1/PS2/Snes we couldnt count the AAA/90+ games on two hands while the Wii we can as someone already stated its at 8 while the PS2 was at 24

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

ShadowSoldier said:
Arius Dion said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Arius Dion said:
shinyuhadouken said:
Soriku said:
Shadowblind said:
Leonidus said:

Pretty much...

The same traits are evident for ALL marketleading consoles. No more pronounced than with the PS1/2.

True but in the case of PS1/PS2/Snes we couldnt count the AAA/90+ games on two hands while the Wii we can as someone already stated its at 8 while the PS2 was at 24

If we are going to use Metacritic (which is a flawed system anyway but ill play) I'd say that unlike the PS2 the wii didn't have third-party support right when it came out. But the wii's third-party support is definatly increasing, just look at the Wii 2009 games list. The more time the wii has the better it's situation will be.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Playstation 2 wins hands down.

I'll be honest too -- I thought the PSOne library was better than PS2.

Squaresoft had better stuff on the PSOne (FF7, FF Tactics, Parasite Eve, etc.), and the library seemed fresher and more innovative.

I never really got into the GTA games. I liked Team ICO's art style but I find their games somewhat dull to play so that was a no-go. Enjoyed God of War though.

The PS2 library is getting more dated every year whilst the Wii library is getting better. Noone really pays attention to games like Call of Duty 2 even from this generation, hell noone even bothers to list an 89 meta rated game in any of the frequent list wars. The reason is because its dated. The is the bigger issue for the PS2 games. They are dated by pretty much every standard you can apply to them. There are very few games which would stand the test of time so the weight of the big number of game releases is pretty much worthless. Furthermore any meta rating comparison between generations would be flawed. Not only are the visual scores most reviews have worthless now, but the number and accuracy of the reviews are lower as well.

Tease.