By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Slim + PSP GO + Price Cut

DKII said:
You think that somehow the PS3 Slim will save Sony so much money that even though they're still losing money on the current $400 model, they can cut the price by $100 and somehow be making money afterwards? Not real likely there.

The reason for it being slim is because components are either shrunk or taken out, thus lowering production costs significantly. Of course it can make money

Around the Network
rafichamp said:
^^ okey anyways, they will make a large profit on it.

Sony doesn't make a large profit on anything.

Their margins are only at 1-2%.

They lost 1 billion dollars last year and they will lose another billion this year.

Sony profit is an oxymoron

I am not sure about the massive software boost, it will help, but it won't make that much of a difference here....

Anyway, it should certainly help hardware, but again, you exaggerate, certainly in the long term

TheTruthProphet said:

PS3rd slim + PSP GO + PRICE CUT = BANKRUPTCY

Look we all know that u want Sony to go bankrupt but dont be so obvious about it.

concerning the ps3 vs ps3 slimline cost...............its a defo that will save at least 100 bucks...............cause.

1.small case,actually much smaller case,made with cheaper plastics and less components
2.45nm cell vs 65nm cell could save alot of money,also believe it will carry 55nm/40nm RSX
3.cheaper blu-ray
4.lower cost to pack and export due to smaller box and less weight!

so 100 bucks lower is a defo!

Around the Network
DKII said:
You think that somehow the PS3 Slim will save Sony so much money that even though they're still losing money on the current $400 model, they can cut the price by $100 and somehow be making money afterwards? Not real likely there.

Lets think about this logically. First off the ps3 cost about 900 dollars to make when it launched. according to SCE president they are still losing 10% in each system sold... so they basically saved 500 dollars to make the ps3 from launch... now where did it all come from? Well first thing they did was take out the memory card slot 2 usb ports and the ps2 chips... Even if we include the full retail price of the ps2 into this (Which is very generous since there was no ps2 chasis or cd drive in the ps3 and retailers sell higher rate than manufacturers AND sony was selling the ps2 t profit) that was only 150 dollar savings. so somewhere along the lines Sony saved 350 dollars more with adding bigger HDD. How would that be? Well they shrunk the cell twice and the RSX once. They shrunk the Mobo too (basically by removing EE chips) Do I think shrinking the RSX again, using smaller power supply, cooling system, chasis, and shipping boxes will allow Sony to drop the price and still make profit? my answer is yes. and if they announce a slim i can see them dropping price of the fatties to clear out stock and then drop the slim just like they did with the 60giggers

max king of trolls - figured you would show up here.

Sony hasn't made 1 penny of profit on the ps3. Not ever, not even 1 quarter.

A price cut cannot happen if sony wants to be profitable

^ instead of trolling provide facts like me. According to Sony they are still losing 10%. I believe they havent modified the ps3 since fall. So its obvious the ps3 isnt that big of a sink hole that people made it out to be. So many people in this site kept shouting 'SONYS LOSING AT LEAST 100 BUCKS STILL' and calling people like me delusional. well... looks like i was right all along. So if their losses didnt all occur from the ps3 where is it comming from?

@max king of trolls - "Ps3 isn't that big of a sink hole"...... Huh?

6 billion dollars gone in 2.5 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 product = 6 billion dollar loss AND GROWING!!!!!

All the ps2 profits ....GONE...BYE BYE.

Your definition of sink hole is obviously wrong.

^ your english comprehension obviously sucks and you lack logic and common sense