By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Slim + PSP GO + Price Cut

rafichamp said:
^^ya your article is saying that Sony is losing $260 per console. Right..... also the guy who gave 1up those statistics is a guy who worked on the game enter the matrix. Totally reliable right?

He was quoting market research firm DFC - Those were not his numbers.

DFC Is a respected worldwide research company

http://www.dfcint.com/index.php

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
hell ill allow you to say the ps3 lost all ps2 profits just as long as you say the other 6 contributors

I do agree with you that there were other contibutors to the losses in SCE, not all from the ps3. 

Dualshock  losses would have been negligible except for the 30 million $$ they lost in the lawsuit for the rumble technology.

Also, it would be interesting to see where the bribe money came from that paid Warner Bros 500 million $$$  to go Blu-ray exclusive.

Since sony owns 30% of BDA maybe the cost was spread around

"Of course, the Xbox 360, especially considering its $1 billion in replacement costs for faulty hardware, has likely cost Microsoft just as much, if not more"

That was pulled out of the same article you posted.

Max King of the Wild said:
DKII said:
You think that somehow the PS3 Slim will save Sony so much money that even though they're still losing money on the current $400 model, they can cut the price by $100 and somehow be making money afterwards? Not real likely there.

Lets think about this logically. 1. First off the ps3 cost about 900 dollars to make when it launched. according to SCE president they are still losing 10% in each system sold... 2. so they basically saved 500 dollars to make the ps3 from launch... now where did it all come from? 3. Well first thing they did was take out the memory card slot 2 usb ports and the ps2 chips... Even if we include the full retail price of the ps2 into this (Which is very generous since there was no ps2 chasis or cd drive in the ps3 and retailers sell higher rate than manufacturers AND sony was selling the ps2 t profit) that was only 150 dollar savings.

4. so somewhere along the lines Sony saved 350 dollars more with adding bigger HDD. How would that be? 5. Well they shrunk the cell twice and the RSX once. They shrunk the Mobo too (basically by removing EE chips) Do I think shrinking the RSX again, using smaller power supply, cooling system, chasis, and shipping boxes will allow Sony to drop the price and still make profit? my answer is yes. and if they announce a slim i can see them dropping price of the fatties to clear out stock and then drop the slim just like they did with the 60giggers

Rough Estimate #1..  You even used the word "about" as in, not exact. Not a fact.

Rough Estimate #2..  they basically saved 500, yet 900 - 440 = $460, so you used a rough estimate, again, not a fact.

Rough Estimate #3..  You guess how much they saved by removing these things, and way over guess (admittedly) on the PS2 figure.  Especially since the PS2 was $130, not $150, at the time it was removed from PS3 back compat.  Not a fact.

Rough Estimate #4..  You used your rough estimate of $500, then subtracted your rough estimation of $150, to get a third figure which in turn is a rough estimate of $350.  Not a fact.

Rough Estimate #5..  You tell us what Sony did, which is all true, but then you give your "opinion" on that these things, plus what you suggest they could do, would mean a profit on a $299 Slim PS3.  Again, not a fact but a guess.  You did not provide any figures as to how much those changes saved individually, and have no idea to those amounts, so you speculated.  Not facts.

The point is that article is garbage, they have a lot of wrong facts.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
TheTruthProphet told me the reason he wants sony to fail with a passion is because they betrayed the consumer with a $600 console, and because they promised things that never came true. Thats what he told me.

My problems with Sony are basically the same thing.

1) They totally promised more than they delivered with the PS3.

2) Being so arrogant about everything they did leading up to the PS3.

3) They even lied (outright) about a lot of stuff to keep people from purchasing a 360 at launch.

4) Luxury pricing on 99% of their products, while delivering mediocre results. 

5) Root Kit

6) Sacrificing the PS3 for Blu-Rayn.

7) $600 pricing on the PS3,  then basically saying you should get a second job to afford it.

While I don't want to see Sony go Bankrupt, I do want to see 90+% of the upper management gone.  There is absolutely no reason for a company that was once so respected in the industry to fall so far.  The upper management is primarily to blame for all of this.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

Let's get this topic back on track now.

PS3Slim+PSPgo+PriceCut = PS3 - Price cut + PSP GO + maybe PS3 Slim

Im calling it right now. All PS3 games will be available for download, and the PS3 slim will come without a Blu-Ray drive. Whether Blu-ray lives or dies is no longer in the PS3's hands, so I think Sony will eliminate the drive and release a PS3 that will be equal price with the 360.

Sony is most definitely not going to be losing money on the PSP Go, the technology is so cheap due to all the little cell phones and smart phones already sporting similar features.