By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 to make the greatest sales comeback in history of console sales wars

rckrz6 said:

I stopped reading when it said xbox is half the price as ps3. You fan boys keep saying that like thats all they offer is the arcade. The Pro outsells the arcade by a good amount. When you add wireless and chargers and live and everything its acually MORE then the PS3.  So your argument about being half the price is irellevant

Then you have the same fanboy trying to say that the ps3 is cheaper then xbox because of the accessories and live.

Pick a freakin side and stick with it.

I feel the same way when I see this argument. 

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Wii, XBOX360

Around the Network

Whenever I see threads like this I like to bring out this handy little chart I made:

You can speculate all you want about prices and what can and can't happen, but this chart paints a pretty clear picture.  In order to overtake 360 worldwide sales in three years, the PS3 would have to outsell it by 51k per week every week for the next three years.  That just isn't going to happen.

The only reasonable figure on there is the 5 figure (260 weeks) and that's 31k per week every week for fives years.  By the time five years is over the "winner" of this generation will have already been long decided and it just won't matter.

So yeah, just accept there's absolutely zero chance of the PS3 overtaking the 360 in worldwide sales or in the Americas.  It's possible it may happen in Others, but even that can't happen for several years.

I'm not saying the PS3 is a failure by any means, I'm just say it can't "win" and it can't overtake the 360 in a reasonable amount of time.

HideoK said:

1. Assuming that Uncharted developers got $30 for every copy sold that would be 72 million dollars easily surpassing the originals budget. The game still sells for $60 brand new, but it's also bundled with a PS3. However, I have no idea how much of a cut they get from that.

2. You guys are probably right about Killzone 2. Maybe 2.5 - 3 million lifetime is a better guess. Especially with a new Call of Duty, Bioshock, and Battlefield game soon coming out to overshadow it.

That's 50% of the retail price. I don't think any developer is getting that much.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

The only way I seeing the PS3 passing the 360 is if the price difference between them reaches between $50-$75. I can't see that happening unless Sony is willing to never make money off the PS3. Also Microsoft is in a much better position financially to wage a costly price war if it came to that.

Also if the E3 rumor about a new input device for the 360 is true it could change everything. Especially if it were to catch on with casuals and cause the system to basically have what amounts to a second launch midway through the console's lifespan.

PS3beats360 said:

"PS3 to make the greatest sales comeback in history of console sales wars"

The PS3 may not be able to catch the Wii, around 30 million behind it but it could be a closer gap than we may expect. Anyway its not the sales comparison of PS3 and Wii I want to make in this thread. It is the PS3 versus XBox 360 console sales comparison.

PS3 will comeback by outselling the XBox 360 in console sales wars. The gap between PS3 and 360 is between 7.5 million to 8 million. 360 was launched a year ahead of the PS3 with a 5.5 million to 6 million lead. 360 is half the price of the PS3 and yet it only has slightly outsold the PS3 by a mere 300k for first 20 weeks in 2009 around 15k per week on average. PS3 has remained at the same price of $399 for almost two years and it has sold around 22.5 million systems at or greater than $399.

PS3 leads the 360 when we align their sales launches for first 30 months PS3 and 360 have sold on the market.  We see PS3 has actually sold 3.4 million units more than 360 for first 30 months of its life. Sony brand power for you helping pushing PS3 sales.

You all want to know how the PS3 will comeback to outsell the XBox 360. Let me tell you all. PS3 has a long list of exclusive games to be released: God of War 3, Uncharted 2, Gran Turismo 5, MAG, FF Versus XIII combine this with price cut very soon in the near future, PS3 Slim and 10 year lifespan. Expect PS3 to outsell XBox 360 in lifetime console sales. PS3 will beat the 360 in console sales ltd. PS3 also has a lot of huge exclusive games already on the market: Uncharted, Resistance 1 & 2, Ratchet and Clank:ToD, WarHawk, Heavenly sword, Valyrie Chronicles, Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, Little Big Planet and the biggest games of them all Killzone 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4 games that are worthy of PS3 purchase on their own. The multi-platform games past, present and future are on par or better on PS3 and the online play is free with PS3 through PSN which makes online gaming affordable for PS3 owners.

History will look back on this as being the greatest comback in history of console sales wars.

My closing words to all the doubters out there: "Just you all wait and see"

So i just have one question?  What are you goina do if the PS3 never does what you say it will and it never outsells the 360??

Around the Network

PS3 is going to dominate the 360 in sales once its dropped to $299. I predict within 2 years of a $299 price point the PS3 will have cut the deficit to about 3 million, and within about 3 1/2 years the PS3 will be ahead of the 360.

I bet the PS3 outsells the 360 by 50k per week on average for the next 2 years once its down to $299. That's how I got the 3 million number [8,000,000 - (104 x 50,000)].

Ps3 can't beat xbox 360 in total sales as its to late for that already (would take years and years), esp with the one year adv of xbox. But im sure it could most def close the gap up quite a bit.

I think a $100 price cut will only raise  overall sales by 10-15%

And they would eventually be countered by a cheaper xbox (xbox will always be cheaper)

Watch microsoft announce another price drop at e3.  Ill laugh so hard

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

50k a week for the next 3.5 years.  Are you on drugs. You think xbox is going to stay the same price if the ps3 picks up on sales that much.

i dont think m$ will let that happen and if the ps3 in time makes it past the 360, it will be at least 3 years from now. thats the earliest i could it happening.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

coolestguyever said:
PS3 is going to dominate the 360 in sales once its dropped to $299. I predict within 2 years of a $299 price point the PS3 will have cut the deficit to about 3 million, and within about 3 1/2 years the PS3 will be ahead of the 360.

I bet the PS3 outsells the 360 by 50k per week on average for the next 2 years once its down to $299. That's how I got the 3 million number [8,000,000 - (104 x 50,000)].

so you are saying PS3 will be ahead of 360 by the end of 2012. Correct?

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

coolestguyever said:

If the PS3 dropped price tomorrow it would take 156 weeks (3 years) of outselling the 360 by 51k per week just to catch up.  Even if that miracuously did happen (which it won't), it will already be well into 2012 by that point with the next Xbox likely just around the corner and it just won't matter.

Just refer to my above chart, pick what you really think it a number the PS3 can outsell the 360 per week and see how much time it will take.  A $299 PS3 won't make it outsell the 360 by 51k per week, about 30k is the max you're going to get and that rate it's going to take about 5 years (and that's assuming it started outselling the 360 by that much per week tomorrow).

Again, anyone that really believes that PS3 is going to overtake the 360 worldwide or in the Americas is just refusing to look at simple numbers.

If something happened to make the 360 suddenly stop selling and the PS3 to really take off, the earliest it could happen in others is in about 3 years and the earliest it can happen in worldwide and the Americas is about 5 years.  By either of those points it just won't matter.