By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 to make the greatest sales comeback in history of console sales wars

twesterm said:
coolestguyever said:
PS3 is going to dominate the 360 in sales once its dropped to $299. I predict within 2 years of a $299 price point the PS3 will have cut the deficit to about 3 million, and within about 3 1/2 years the PS3 will be ahead of the 360.

I bet the PS3 outsells the 360 by 50k per week on average for the next 2 years once its down to $299. That's how I got the 3 million number [8,000,000 - (104 x 50,000)].

If the PS3 dropped price tomorrow it would take 156 weeks (3 years) of outselling the 360 by 51k per week just to catch up.  Even if that miracuously did happen (which it won't), it will already be well into 2012 by that point with the next Xbox likely just around the corner and it just won't matter.

Just refer to my above chart, pick what you really think it a number the PS3 can outsell the 360 per week and see how much time it will take.  A $299 PS3 won't make it outsell the 360 by 51k per week, about 30k is the max you're going to get and that rate it's going to take about 5 years (and that's assuming it started outselling the 360 by that much per week tomorrow).

Again, anyone that really believes that PS3 is going to overtake the 360 worldwide or in the Americas is just refusing to look at simple numbers.

If something happened to make the 360 suddenly stop selling and the PS3 to really take off, the earliest it could happen in others is in about 3 years and the earliest it can happen in worldwide and the Americas is about 5 years.  By either of those points it just won't matter.

Exactly, The war for overall sales is over. (sony had a one year disadvantage from the start)  Its all about who has the better games now and can get better sales on a weekly basis

Around the Network

So, do you believe that PS3 passes XBOX 360 in 2012 is logical time?? Of course not , in that time nobody will care about 7th Generation. The new consoles will dominate market not PS3 nor 360...

A slim/white PS3, with FFXIII, FFVXIII, and Gran Turismo 5 and God of War 3 and a price cut, will kill the 360.

rafichamp said:
A slim/white PS3, with FFXIII, FFVXIII, and Gran Turismo 5 and God of War 3 and a price cut, will kill the 360.

None of the three consoles can be killed.

Signature goes here!

^
for how much money

Around the Network

The Xbox 360 is already nearing its end and the PS3 has only just started!

Ah whatever, give it up already people, anyone seriously claiming they believe things will drastically turn around for Sony all of a sudden are beyond reasoning anyway and will not permit any counter arguments to enter their brain.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

I had no idea the PS3 was competing against the Xbox 360 of the past. Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, how can PS3 be ahead if it constantly sells the least?

NanakiXI said:
I think it will be a really close second but none of us will know for sure.

I mean no one really expected the Wii to be the beast it is but we were all fooled.

Last gen I could have told you otherwise because almost everything was pretty predictable after the first few years. This gen is really anyone's guess.

Can I say something?

I hear this mentioned a lot now. First of all, not everybody was fooled by the Wii. I knew exactly what it was gonna do, and so did many other people. Just the fact that we a leadership change doesn't mean the situation is all that different, we have now a former leader that is not only naturally insane, it is taken way too seriously by the established media and communities.

But that's it, nothing else is different. How about the PlayStation 1? The NES also made a fool of a lot of people, and many analysts were very excited about new consoles such as the entry of NEC into the business. Also consoles like the Atari Jaguar, Sega Genesis and Lynx made a big splash. If you had no information about the real numbers, and instead just listened to the hyperbole, you would have figured all these consoles were much bigger than they were. All were, at some point or another, declared to be a market stealer or a surprise victor, with no real basis other than perhaps wishful thinking. Sounds familiar?

This industry has a leadership exchange once in a while, does that mean this exchange will be constant? No. Every leadership has done just what the name implies, and with it much contribution to the medium as a whole which is the point. I can't even begin to tell how early we are in the Wii's timeline of that plan.

Just because you didn't see the Wii coming, doesn't mean a number of new consoles will take the lead sporadically in a short period. The feeling that everything is unpredictable is nothing new, it comes from the misreading of the videogame business. If you know what gaming is really about, and you know the history of gaming, this feeling that trends are impossible to predict becomes more diluted. It is why I could see from a distance Nintendo was destined to take over the market, and many others too.

I can tell you now that, unless something goes very strangely, from what I can see there is no real comeback for Sony soon. They continue to work in an old paradigm, that will award them a passionate number of customers that won't be giving them a position of leadership. Same goes for Microsoft for that matter. I personally see more paralells between this generation and the NES generation, but since a lot of people today aren't that familiar with that one let me just put it this way:

It's like the N64 taking the role of the PlayStation, and having the two 32 bit systems(PS& Saturn) take the rolw of the N64. Basically, having one PlayStation using certain values, and two N64 systems. It will take more research than that to grasp it, but that's one way to sum it up in a recognizable way. Of course the Xbox 360 and PS3 will have fanfare, of course they'll have an audience, but they're not leaders. The Wii is still new, analysts also didn't predict the rise of the PlayStation or the NES. Just because you didn't see the Wii doesn't mean there is no consistency to this industry. On the contrary, if you really look at the Wii and past generations, you'll find a tremendous ammount of consistency in Nintendo's rise, and continued leadersip for the time being. What you probably won't find is a consistency of incredible comebacks from old leaders who continue to sing to the old tune.

I'm entering this conversation with an unbiased approach. I only own the wii but want to get a hi-def system. I have a PS2 so I was inclined to get a PS3. But, I was debating for a while and for me the xbox comes out on top. FFXIII on the xbox is a huge blow to Sony. There are also quite a few games on the xbox that I can't wait to catch up on.