By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 to make the greatest sales comeback in history of console sales wars

saicho said:
The greatest sales comeback in history of console sales wars is when Nintendo released Wii after Gamecube.

Lol, I was surprised no-one else had mentioned this yet. :p

/thread and +1 for you. ;)

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
PS3beats360 said:

"PS3 to make the greatest sales comeback in history of console sales wars"

You all want to know how the PS3 will comeback to outsell the XBox 360. Let me tell you all. PS3 has a long list of exclusive games to be released: God of War 3, Uncharted 2, Gran Turismo 5, MAG, FF Versus XIII combine this with price cut very soon in the near future, PS3 Slim and 10 year lifespan. Expect PS3 to outsell XBox 360 in lifetime console sales. PS3 will beat the 360 in console sales ltd. PS3 also has a lot of huge exclusive games already on the market: Uncharted, Resistance 1 & 2, Ratchet and Clank:ToD, WarHawk, Heavenly sword, Valyrie Chronicles, Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, Little Big Planet and the biggest games of them all Killzone 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4 games that are worthy of PS3 purchase on their own. The multi-platform games past, present and future are on par or better on PS3 and the online play is free with PS3 through PSN which makes online gaming affordable for PS3 owners.

History will look back on this as being the greatest comback in history of console sales wars.

My closing words to all the doubters out there: "Just you all wait and see"

Question here.  If these titles you spoke of are "huge exclusives", why haven't then made a difference in console sales?  The 360 is STILL beating the PS3.  And if price was all that, why is the Wii outselling the $199 XBox 360?

The problem is that the PS3 doesn't have a game-changing, difference-making, killer app.  Eye of Judgement could of been one of those, but it got to be very niche.  As it is now, what the PS3 has is a library of excellently executed titles in genres that are already established, that don't catch anyone off-guard, and aren't exclusives.  There isn't a Halo in there, which put FPS on the map.  It doesn't have a Gears of War either, which put the sub-niche of FPS (third-person shooter) on the map.  It has Gran Turismo, MAYBE, but that is a driving game.  It is kind of driving games at this point.  Everything else?  Well, they are in established genres:

* Heavenly Sword is Hack and Slash, in the class of Devil May Cry or God of War.  One can say God of War would be another that fits here, but it is an established genre.

* Ratchet and Clank is a Mascot series, with a dash of shooter thrown in.

* WarHawks is an online multiplayer shooter game, like Battlefield 1942.

* Gran Turismo is an established driving franchise.

* Little Big Planet is a mascot platformer title.

* Valk. Chronicles expands on Strategic RPG, with JRPG elements.  Unfortunately this niche isn't huge and pushes it into killer app level.

* Killzone 2 is a FPS, that is now being outsold by Halo 3.

* MGS4 is a continuation of the Metal Gear series.  It was execute real well, but you don't see it fitting into the "Killer App" level.

Ok, and your other exclusives here due to come out:

* MAG.  MAYBE this can do things on sheer scope alone.  It fits into the Battlefield 1942 mold, but on a much larger scale.

* inFAMOUS.  It is a sandbox game, with some superheroes.  Mix of Crackdown meets Fable to me.  Yes, it looks awesome, but is there a mass numbers wanting this?

* FF Vs 13.  Too bad you couldn't just say regular Final Fantasy 13, because Microsoft happened to moneyhat to make sure it didn't happen that way.  So, any reason why a non-turn based Final Fantasy will suddenly be all that?  I also don't see what it is going to do

It could be that the marketplace for videogames is now so established, you can't pull it off, outside of maybe Nintendo with the Wii, and Waggle.  Nintendo nailed the "must have" killer app section, with Wii sports, and the niche of Waggle.  This was hinted at with the likes of Guitar Heroes, Rock Band, and Dance Dance Revolution.

Want to argue there is enough content to justify a purchase of a PS3?  I believe you can have much better luck then saying a PS3 that merely executes excellently on what is established, and that is why a PS3 is worth owning.  However, to say it will top the 360, and get close to the Wii is an epic comeback, is seriously pushing it.  By the way, don't you have a life to attend to?  Would you seriously want people when they deliver a eulogy for you, speak about how much you loved the Playstation brand? 

^

A few flaws in your reasoning

1. I hate the argument "When we align the launches, 360 wins." It's irrelivent and only matters in fanboy wars. The whole idea of launching a console first is to get the head start from publihsers and consumers. Take this example: Islam grew faster in its time than Christianity did. Both are the top two largest religions in the world. By your logic, Islam is the best and should be the biggest religion, but Christianity beats it by about 500-600 years and is the largest religion in the wrold at this point. Being first matters.
  2. "PS3 is doing better at a higher price," is irrelivent since price has not been the driving factor in the industry. There is never a consistance with price and sales. Wii Fit outsold numerous games despite being ~$90, budget games at $30 or $20 are oldsold by games that are $20 to $30 more. The Gamecube was cheaper than the PS2, and the PS2 did better. The 360 is less than the Wii, but the Wii does better. People payed for premiums on Wiis just to get them. Price is not consistant. The other thing is we do not know if a price cut would help (or if Sony sees it as fesible). The 360 has not seen trumendious growth despite its cut. This is very inconsistant.
  3. What do I say to exclusive games?

This is a moot point. If the system hasn't had it's savior yet, it wont have one.

DirtyP2002 said:

Ehm no.

1. Uncharted² using the sam engine like Uncharted, both had a 20 million USD budget (Same for Gears/2)
  2. There is no way Killzone will make it up to 4 million, since this one seems to have no legs at all. It sold 58k in US last month according to NPD and let's say 65k in Europe (both markets have similar sales). Thats 123k for one month. So it needs 2.4 million to get to MGS-level. So it needs 19.5 months to get there. Of course sales will decrease and not be on the level they are right now. 2.5 million is possible if you ask me.

1. Assuming that Uncharted developers got $30 for every copy sold that would be 72 million dollars easily surpassing the originals budget. The game still sells for $60 brand new, but it's also bundled with a PS3. However, I have no idea how much of a cut they get from that.

2. You guys are probably right about Killzone 2. Maybe 2.5 - 3 million lifetime is a better guess. Especially with a new Call of Duty, Bioshock, and Battlefield game soon coming out to overshadow it.

Around the Network

I stopped reading when it said xbox is half the price as ps3. You fan boys keep saying that like thats all they offer is the arcade. The Pro outsells the arcade by a good amount. When you add wireless and chargers and live and everything its acually MORE then the PS3.  So your argument about being half the price is irellevant

Then you have the same fanboy trying to say that the ps3 is cheaper then xbox because of the accessories and live.

Pick a freakin side and stick with it.

Smashchu2 said:

A few flaws in your reasoning

1. I hate the argument "When we align the launches, 360 wins." It's irrelivent and only matters in fanboy wars. The whole idea of launching a console first is to get the head start from publihsers and consumers. Take this example: Islam grew faster in its time than Christianity did. Both are the top two largest religions in the world. By your logic, Islam is the best and should be the biggest religion, but Christianity beats it by about 500-600 years and is the largest religion in the wrold at this point. Being first matters.
  2. "PS3 is doing better at a higher price," is irrelivent since price has not been the driving factor in the industry. There is never a consistance with price and sales. Wii Fit outsold numerous games despite being ~$90, budget games at $30 or $20 are oldsold by games that are $20 to $30 more. The Gamecube was cheaper than the PS2, and the PS2 did better. The 360 is less than the Wii, but the Wii does better. People payed for premiums on Wiis just to get them. Price is not consistant. The other thing is we do not know if a price cut would help (or if Sony sees it as fesible). The 360 has not seen trumendious growth despite its cut. This is very inconsistant.
  3. What do I say to exclusive games?

This is a moot point. If the system hasn't had it's savior yet, it wont have one.

Auch, that pic really packs a stinger. Go easy on him, Smashchu2.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

First of all PS3 sold 2.3 mills more than 360 in its first 2 years and 2 months . and let me tell you this :

PS3 was 500$ and 600$ , now after 2 years = 400$ and 500$

360 was 300$ and 400$ , now after 3 YEARS = 200$ and 300$ ( elite wasnt out at first)

meaning sony slashed the price for the PS3 just like 360 in a lesser time ... just because the PS3 is 400$ now doeant mean they can easily slash the price . and as for God of War 3, Uncharted 2, Gran Turismo 5, MAG, FF Versus XIII combine ( except for GT5 ) none of these games will boost the hardware .

and when the PS3 was out the gap between them was around 6.4 mill , now its 8.1 according to VGchartz . and 360's hardware sales are up from 08 even in this economy but the PS3 where down in all the weeks of 09.

so what ever should sony do to pass the 360 , they sure arent doing it NOW .

PS3 fanboys been waiting for a groundbreaking comeback since nov 06 . i feel sorry for them . they think sony will slash the price , make a slim ps3 , bring all these so called AAA exclusives that boosts the hardware DESTROYS the 360 after 30 months of defeat and will outsell the 360 and surpass it in a year . thats just sad . keep dreaming

thx1139 said:
Right after the Cubs win the World Series

2007 2008 2009 2010 Year of PS3 and the Cubs!