By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Slimebeast said:
makingmusic476 said:

It's because the site is growing. This was a fear I've had for quite some time, and I even expressed my concerns to naz about a year ago.

As websites grow in size and in popularity, you have far more stealth trolls posting borderline comments that we can't really do anything about. And because the site is much larger, mods aren't as well acquainted with each user, so we lose that personal touch. It's not longer 100% obvious to us if a user does nothing but troll, and thus we should send them the way of Hus, and it's not as obvious to us when one user "trolls" as a joke, and it's completely out of their character to do so normally. In general, we don't know the users as well, so we don't always know when we should just go straight to a permaban, or when we shouldn't have banned at all.

We're nearing a point where every post will have to be compared strictly to the ToS. If they break the ToS, we ban. It will become a very black and white system eventually, much like that of GameSpot, and it'll probably lead to people getting banned unjustly (I was perma-banned from GameSpot for the stupidest reason ever).

Sadly, that's the way things go. This used to be a niche community for people that really cared to discuss and analyze sales numbers. Now it's become just another popular video game forum.

Is it really like that? Scary thought.

But as you said, maybe it's inevitable as a website grows.

Either way, I'm happy for one thing, I prefer to get some trolls instead of getting elitistic jerks like those at GAF.

That should've said "becoming", but yeah, that looks about where things are headed.

Around the Network

Threads I think are pointless

1: Hi I'm new here, welcome me!!!

2: I'm leaving!!! some of you suck!!!

3: I have 10,000 posts I'm so elite!!1

As forums get bigger the style of posting inevitably changes. Which is often disheartening to the old faithful that've been there from the beginning. Old members leaving isn't the answer however as leaving only serves to further hammer the nail into the coffin.

Now he's gone, let's predict when he's going to come back.

I'm going to say by the end of June, maybe as early as E3.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

hmmm wow
well bye. If you are mad because there are more Sony fans then you should leave but good luck finding a game site without them. In a way you're sounding like a fanboy yourself

makingmusic476 said:

It's because the site is growing. This was a fear I've had for quite some time, and I even expressed my concerns to naz about a year ago.

As websites grow in size and in popularity, you have far more stealth trolls posting borderline comments that we can't really do anything about. And because the site is much larger, mods aren't as well acquainted with each user, so we lose that personal touch. It's not longer 100% obvious to us if a user does nothing but troll, and thus we should send them the way of Hus, and it's not as obvious to us when one user "trolls" as a joke, and it's completely out of their character to do so normally. In general, we don't know the users as well, so we don't always know when we should just go straight to a permaban, or when we shouldn't have banned at all.

We're nearing a point where every post will have to be compared strictly to the ToS. If they break the ToS, we ban. It will become a very black and white system eventually, much like that of GameSpot, and it'll probably lead to people getting banned unjustly (I was perma-banned from GameSpot for the stupidest reason ever).

Sadly, that's the way things go. This used to be a niche community for people that really cared to discuss and analyze sales numbers. Now it's becoming just another popular video game forum.

When the site grows why don't we have more mods? And how do ya'll choose the mods?

Around the Network
Jboy0990 said:
makingmusic476 said:

Sadly, that's the way things go. This used to be a niche community for people that really cared to discuss and analyze sales numbers. Now it's becoming just another popular video game forum.

When the site grows why don't we have more mods? And how do ya'll choose the mods?

Admin choosing is a long process involving fights to the death and escaping from dangerous situations armed with only a piece of string and a Twix bar, but mod choosing is done by Naznatips; he selects them based on how much they have contributed and how suitable they are for the job.

I'm expecting some people to be promoted come VGC 2.0. And I think I know who some of them are, but I won't say, in case nobody is promoted and I sound like an idiot.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

hahaha string and twix bar nice.

Yeah I can see your point. Only the off-topic forum on here is actually much good now days and even thats sliding.

no, come back!

Kantor said:
nordlead said:
and you are going where? GAF?? Gamefaqs?? 1up?? I'm sure you won't really find any sites better than this one in terms of "intelligent posters" but whatever, see ya later

GAF has way less trolls than VGC, but at the cost of your freedom of opinion and right to say something other than five preset phrases.

Who the hell bans Imageshack?

It that a serious comment? GAF has the voltile community on the internet. It's so ful of HD and PC gamers, that you can't even consider the Wii to have good games, and that games still don't sell on the Wii that aren't Nintendo. I believe it's somehow not crazy to think that the Wii won't win this generation. That is crazy talk.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.