By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Heavenly Sword - 77.445 first week- flop or not flop sales?

Yojimbo said:
Heavenly Sword has flopped like Blue dragon and Lair.

No. Do some math. They sold 77k copies to 2 million userbase. It's like 275k for the start of Xbox360 game or 177k debut on the Wii. Disappointing as for such great game but definitely not a flop. Personally I think ioi is overreacting after last month difference to NPD figures. We will see.

In Poland it's the best selling game right now (second is Bioshock) - source Neo+

Around the Network
routsounmanman said:
sinha said:
NJ5 said:
Hus said:
Damn some of you really need to pray hard for a lil extra intellignece.

Chart Week Ending 15th September 2007
Release Date: US: September 12, 2007

So 3 days on store shelfs, ohh what a flop ohhh noes its the end.

Before insulting other people's intelligence, you should learn how to count (a primary school skill for most people)... Let's go togerher:

12... 13... 14... 15... four days, not three!

Again:

12... 13... 14... 15... still four!

Sorry that math is not "simple" enough for some people!

12...13...14...15... Are you CRAZY that's not four! It's three! *in Hus' Sony magical world, that is*

if you read the thread you'd see i posted a source that said shipment was delayed.

But that is some good stupidity on your part.

Hus said:
routsounmanman said:
sinha said:
NJ5 said:
Hus said:

Before insulting other people's intelligence, you should learn how to count (a primary school skill for most people)... Let's go togerher:

Again:

12...13...14...15... Are you CRAZY that's not four! It's three! *in Hus' Sony magical world, that is*

if you read the thread you'd see i posted a source that said shipment was delayed.

Both Sinha and me are in error. Sorry didn't read that part.

Hus said:
routsounmanman said:
sinha said:
NJ5 said:
Hus said:

Again:

Both Sinha and me are in error. Sorry didn't read that part.

ssj12 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Remember that Metroid Prime 3 and Bioshock were both on shelves for 4 days and still sold well over 3 times as many units as Heavenly Sword has ...

For a highly anticipated game, often cited as a major reason why people will buy a PS3, (roughly) 75,000 units sold in its first day would be a disapointment

I havent been on these forums long enough but you probably predicted MotorStorm and Resistance to flop..they didnt. 

Resistance was a launch game and I expected it to see sales in the 1 to 2 million unit range because there is (almost) always at least 1 launch game to sell at least that well.

If you were hear before Motorstorm or Gundam Musou were released you would have seen (pretty much) every PS3 fan claim that "Domination begins with Motorstorm/Gundam Musou" and expected the PS3 to outsell the Wii and the XBox 360 from this point on; I never said that I expected bad sales from Motorstorm, only that its sales would never match the expectations people had for the title.

When I (previously) talked about Heavenly Sword I always said I didn't expect Heavenly Sword to sell over a Million units because God of War was (probably) a much better game, only sold 2 Million units on the super popular PS2, sold almost no games in Japan, the PS3 was too expensive and the PS3's userbase was too small to have a game like this break the Million barrier. This was called a fanboyish argument by the same PS3 fans who are now claiming that this game did well for its userbase.

Now, since everyone wants to talk about userbases ... Motorstorm sold (almost) 110,000 units on a system with a userbase of 1.2 Million; Heavenly Sword sold 75,000 units on a system with a userbase of 2 Million.

vizunary said:

many posters seem "giddy" at the sound of anything negative about the PS3, these are the people i was referring to and they know who they are. i feel that my reasoning for this incessant negativeness about the PS3 is exactly what i posted before.

Most of the "giddy" people are probably just getting their "revenge" ...

It has been the standard pattern since the internet first had videogame discussions, the more hype a group puts on a game the longer the fallout will be when the game fails to live up to expectations. Lair, Heavenly Sword and Warhawk were all hyped (beyond belief) and for the next couple of weeks people will take pleasure in ripping them apart; and then they'll see something shiny and move on.

Around the Network

Ugly numbers I admit ... I was expecting 150k first week , but if next week it will get above 50k it would be still a good seller :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

disappointing sales from the Sony Trio.
Could see an increase in sales during the holidays though.

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

kber81 said:
Yojimbo said:
Heavenly Sword has flopped like Blue dragon and Lair.

No. Do some math. They sold 77k copies to 2 million userbase. It's like 275k for the start of Xbox360 game or 177k debut on the Wii. Disappointing as for such great game but definitely not a flop. Personally I think ioi is overreacting after last month difference to NPD figures. We will see.

In Poland it's the best selling game right now (second is Bioshock) - source Neo+

Userbase doesn't work like that.  I mean compare the top PS2 sales numbers with the Gamecube and XBox top games sales numbers.

A higher userbase only matters in mediocre games.  A higher user base makes OK games sell a lot better and casual games sell a lot better.

HS while criminally short is not a mediocre game however unless the number don't drop off nearly as much as one would expect next week it sure is selling like one.  Works for me though.  Just means it'll be cheaper used when I get a PS3.

Get ready for an on topic post! o_0

seeing the number on it's own, maybe, but VGchartz has it as third place in this week's sales so I don't know if it should be as bad as it might look at first glance.

Then again, compared to last week where the numbers were a little shy of 200,000. . .

One more important point I like to make, this game was suppose to boost Hardware sales. instead of increase hardware sales, we see a sharp decrease in hardware sales. This isnt a good sign for sony.