By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Lost Odyssey to be featured on 4 DVDs!

mrstickball said:
IMO, after about 4 its too much *if* the game is short.

IE, a 5-disk 20hr game is insane, but a 5-disk 200hr game is not. That makes since?

I intentionally spelled your name wrong, libellule.

Carazo - 3 posts and your saying BD is worse than ES, yet haven't posted in either thread about the game? WTF?

On the internet we call that TROLLING.  What a set of moderators we have here...

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network
NightStalker said:

I love how ppl make assumptions about PS3 owners, like they can't be legitemately unimpressed by a game just because it isn't FF and it's on the 360. Show me some videos that you think will get me excited over it and I'll let you know if I changed my mind. I'm serious, too.

and FYI I was very impressed by Eternal Sonata and now it is coming to the PS3. Horray for me =D 

Sorry Nightstalker, I just realized that I had confused you with someone else on the board...

*slaps forehead*

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

To quote the article:

"The game uses a mixture of CG and real-time cut scenes to illustrate the storyline."

So it's 4 DVDs and not even all the cutscenes are CGI. How many discs will 360 games require in another 2 years?

ssj12 said:
akuma587 said:
Hawk said:
Hus said:
Wow thats sad, and its so early in this gen. Say bye to MGS or FF13, 10 disks would be a bit of an overkill.

10 disks? So those games are going to be on 2 Bluray disks? Multiple Disks already, and the PS3 has only been out half as long

QFT you know what he means. Realistically speaking, a dual-layer Blu-Ray could probably hold the equivalent of 6 dual-layer DVD's. I know those sizes don't add up perfectly, but you have to consider redundant security on each disc and recreating the core game engine on each disc, not to mention the space problems a lack of a hard drive would create for a 360 version.

you also have to remember that Blu-ray can have more then 2 layers unlike DVD.

Yeah but the ps3's Blu-Ray drive can only read dual-layered BD-Roms so extra layers are useless for games.  PC storage is another matter, however.

This is just going to end up being a positive for MS. People perceive more value in more discs. Such as "The special eight disc DVD collectors pack of Lord of the Rings trilogy DVD!!". It makes people think they are getting a crapton for their money.

This was one of the things the Paramount CEO said about HDDVD vs Blu Ray that stuck with me. They asked him about having to possibly move special features to a second HDDVD being a drawback. He said a lot of times people think it's more value anyway. He had a good point and I've been repeating it.

Around the Network

The only people that will really find a problem with the multiple discs are the fanboys.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

makingmusic476 said:
To quote the article:

"The game uses a mixture of CG and real-time cut scenes to illustrate the storyline."

So it's 4 DVDs and not even all the cutscenes are CGI. How many discs will 360 games require in another 2 years?

Well, 4 DVD's is approaching 40 GB's..and considering I dont think a Blu ray game has yet to be even released on more than a single layer disc...meaning <23GB of data...

Blu ray is more expensive for a dual layer. I think Heavenly Sword said they almost used dual layer but didn't. All things equal PS3 publishers will try to avoid it because of extra cost right now. 

In other words, 4 DVD's is approaching so big it would take two Blu ray's..look at it that way. Or in other words, it's more data than any PS3 game yet as well.

Anyways, I dont see top of the line PC games using that much. Look at World in Conflict, the just released PC RTS game that has superb graphics. I randomly noticed it installs to 9GB. However it is meant for a PC with 2-4GB of RAM, and more raw power than PS3/360 have.

So basically I dont think DVD is a realistic limitation. I will be interested also in what size is the Crysis install, since it has better graphics than any console game anyway.

Also Heavenly Sword is a good example. A 23 GB game that was only 6 hours. More storage doesn't mean much.

The real console limitation is 512 MB RAM. That and the fact all the data has to stream from a tiny pipe the optical drives. Because of this, the data has to be heavily compressed anyway, no matter how big of a reservoir it has. It still has to go through that tiny bottleneck from disc to 512MB RAM. 

rocketpig said:
I love how PS3 owners come in and try to convince themselves publicly that LO doesn't look impressive and then turn around and constantly give e-head to FFXIII, a game they won't be playing for another 18 months...

Rocketpig, aren't these the same forum goers that costantly bitch when non-Sony fans post in the Sony forum. The hyprocracy continues. The next time a non-Sony fan posts in the Sony forum I don't want to hear anything from any of them. What a bunch of babies....

I'm guessing the cut scenes are going to be 1080p, with no artifacts (some 360 games have FMVs that fit on one disc, but have compression artifacts). If there is even an hour of that, it would definitely require that many discs.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

The only people who are bothered by multiple discs games are fanboys, deal with it. (preferably in private)

Blu-Ray advocates, we respect your choice, but in regards to the DVD format you're in the minority no matter how you slice it and making public displays like this doesn't so much suggest your confidence in the format as they do your need to quell any doubts over its flickering future; as if telling yourselves you made the right choice is going to help the marginalized HD media market actually matter to consumer any faster or the PS3 achieve more than a 20% share of the game console market anytime soon.

This thread was never about Blu-Ray and it was never about who's RPGs are better. This thread is about Lost Odyssey and its four discs. Criticisms are welcome, but let's try and keep them constructive and on topic please. We don't need yet another thread of you telling everyone what Blu-Ray is as if we've never heard it before.

Let's try and exercise maturity and consideration for our fellow board members and avoid turning this into a console bashing contest.