By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Lost Odyssey to be featured on 4 DVDs!

Legend11 said:
ookaze said:
All of this because people can't admit that 1 disc is better than several.
Swapping was always a problem, but people could stand it because there was no better solution.

It's amazing that people want to eat crow in place of the company officials that said the nonsense.
If your company officials made stupid comments like BluRay space was useless, and then games for his console starts needing 4 discs, well, that's their crow to eat, not yours.
But no, the fanboys will go as far as saying they were right against all logic and against the facts.

Sad...

So is not having to swap discs for 2 games out of 200+, something that likely takes most people less than a minute and a half (30seconds to swap dvds x 3 dvds), really worth $160 (the likely additional cost the 360 would have been if it had came with a HD-DVD drive)?

ookaze, I fully admit 1 disk is better than several.  And I think everyone else here, would as well.  But plenty of us don't have a problem with getting off our rump once in a while to swap the disk.  I am with Legend11.  I find it a VERY MINOR inconvienence to take half a minute, to swap a disk a few times within the dozens of hours of play.  It would not be worth it to me, to pay the extra cost it would have been, for the Xbox 360 to instead make it on one HD-DVD.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network

Does anyone remember when it was all about the games, and not the media? Does it really matter whether a game is released on 4 DVDs or 1 Blue Ray? What should matter is the quality of the game, not the size of the files or if a Developer needed to use compression.
Guess what matters to Developers and Publishers? Sales numbers! Not how a publicist manipulates the numbers, the actual NPD numbers. That will decide the lead console of future games which will then dictate the media. It is all rather black and white. Business is business. Fan boys need not apply.

akuma587 said:
Hawk said:
akuma587 said:
P.S. 4 DVD's is too much. That stuff really pissed me off with games like FF8 and 9 as well as Legend of Dragoon. If one of the discs gets scratched, you are fucked. Don't even get me started if two of your discs are messed up (that happened to me with FF9).

Multiple disks is not an annoyance to me. If they are for you, they are for you. But how does the whole scratch argument apply? A disk of a single disk game is just as scratch prone.

So you are saying that based on probability that having to handle 4 discs is less likely to cause one of them to get scratched than just handling one disc? What about all the time you have to spend pulling out and putting away each of the individual dics, not to mention the fact that games are FAR more likely to pop out of the casing while being stored when their are multiple discs. Those stupid little plastic flaps in the middle of the DVD case are way more prone to letting go of the disc than the standard holder is.

And actually, in the case of Blu-Ray there is a scratch advantage, because it has a spray on lining that helps prevent scratch damage. Don't believe me? Go look at the videos online on Youtube of people scratching their discs with STEEL WOOL and then playing them in their PS3 with no problems.

You still have not convinced me in any way that a disk possibly getting scratched when there are 4 disks, is any worse than the possiblility the disk will get scratched in a 1 disk game. And in fact, the multiple disks worked better for me in one specific instance. A friend borrowed a multi disk PC game from me and scratched up disk 2. Well, didn't cause any problems for me, because I was on disk 3. And I only cared to play the game through once anyway. But, in no way am I saying multiple disks is better. I just think when comparing a multiple disk game to a single disk game, the argument of the possibility of a disk getting scratched is a null and void argument.

But.....if you are arguing that Bluray is Better than DVD. Yeah, it is. I did not know Bluray was more scratch resistant though. Thats awesome.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

This topic is so ridiculous. Yes, it is an extremely mild inconvenience to change the disks in a game. But it's exactly that, and extremely mild inconvenience. I suspect some people have spent more time writing posts about how much easier it is to have one disk than to have to swap between four than they would ever spend swapping disks in this entire generation of games if they were 360 owners.

Also, not understanding that that mild issues of convenience isn't worth the $100+ cost for new technology is just pigheaded.

why do people bitch about multi-disc RPGS... Your not going to break your nails when u switch discs.... so don't cry about it.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
sharky said:
makingmusic476 said:
To quote the article:

"The game uses a mixture of CG and real-time cut scenes to illustrate the storyline."

So it's 4 DVDs and not even all the cutscenes are CGI. How many discs will 360 games require in another 2 years?

Well, 4 DVD's is approaching 40 GB's..and considering I dont think a Blu ray game has yet to be even released on more than a single layer disc...meaning <23GB of data...

Blu ray is more expensive for a dual layer. I think Heavenly Sword said they almost used dual layer but didn't. All things equal PS3 publishers will try to avoid it because of extra cost right now.

In other words, 4 DVD's is approaching so big it would take two Blu ray's..look at it that way. Or in other words, it's more data than any PS3 game yet as well.

Anyways, I dont see top of the line PC games using that much. Look at World in Conflict, the just released PC RTS game that has superb graphics. I randomly noticed it installs to 9GB. However it is meant for a PC with 2-4GB of RAM, and more raw power than PS3/360 have.

So basically I dont think DVD is a realistic limitation. I will be interested also in what size is the Crysis install, since it has better graphics than any console game anyway.

Also Heavenly Sword is a good example. A 23 GB game that was only 6 hours. More storage doesn't mean much.

The real console limitation is 512 MB RAM. That and the fact all the data has to stream from a tiny pipe the optical drives. Because of this, the data has to be heavily compressed anyway, no matter how big of a reservoir it has. It still has to go through that tiny bottleneck from disc to 512MB RAM.

First off, single-layered BD-Roms hold 25GB of data, not 23. Also, only ~7GB of space is available to 360 developers on a DVD9 due to restrictions from MS (i'm not sure what they are). They do not have access to the full 8.5GB. Assuming that the 4th disc is roughly half full, you'd have 3.5 x 7GB = 24.5GB. 24.5GB is less than 25GB. Even if the total data did surpass the 25GB mark, they could just go dual-layer like you said. Kojima already plans to do this with MGS4.

As far as the expense of Blu-Ray discs, large runs of single-layered BD-Roms came to about 37 cents per disc, compared to ~10 cents per DVD, so a 4 disc DVD game would actually cost publishers more than a Blu-Ray disc game. I'm sure a dual-layered BD-rom wouldn't cost much more than a single layer, as they are already being mass produced for movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, so the cost difference is negligible.

About high end pc games, on the EA store it was recently listed that Crysis would need 16GB of HDD space. However, these specs were quickly taken down and Crytek scame out saying that the specs are not final yet. It could end up being a little bit more or a little bit less, but it's a safe bet that the final number will be roughly 16GB.

Also, Medieval II: Total War shipped on two DVD9s way back in Nov. '06.

To repeat my initial statement, how many discs will 360 games require in another 2 years?

"First off, single-layered BD-Roms hold 25GB of data, not 23"

Haha, no they dont, but the funny part is you fell right into my trap directly after, you see, blu ray fanboys always list DVD capacity as some lower number (after formatting and overhead) not the theoretical number. But they always list Blu ray capacity as it's perfect theoretical capacity, as if there is not not one digital bit on that disc that cant be used for content (unlike every other format in the history of man).

I brought this up on a much smarter forum than this, and yes, it was determined through Blu ray movie dumps that Blu ray discs do not have 25GB of usable storage after sector formatting and all that. It's actually <23GB. I dont know the exact number available to a Sony dev on a "25G" blu ray disc, but you can bet it's NOT 25 GB, probably more like 22, or less. Do you honestly think microsoft does special things to discs to remove precious capacity, but somehow Sony has no need of this?Just use common sense.

I'm just tired of the double standard. Either use theoretical capacities for both (8.5 GB in the case of a DL DVD, or 25 GB in the case of Blu ray) Or use a lower "true usable" number for both (like 7GB according to your claim, and 20-22GB on Blu ray) . What you constantly see on the internet is apples and oranges, the theoretical maximum on blu ray, and the lower usable capacity on DVD. This isn't accurate and needs to stop.

The opposite would actually be me saying that a DVD is 9GB, and a Blu ray is ~20GB. This is no different than what you are doing, just reversed. Both cases are apples and oranges.

This is the next gen ? 7th gen console come on do better then that. i guess its to late now to include hddvd.

And mutliple disks do suck, whatever side your on one disk is best.

Jam said:
This is the next gen ? 7th gen console come on do better then that.

This is the gen in which having Blu-Ray or HD-DVD on a console is/would be extremely expensive.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957