By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Lost Odyssey to be featured on 4 DVDs!

sharky said:
makingmusic476 said:
To quote the article:

"The game uses a mixture of CG and real-time cut scenes to illustrate the storyline."

So it's 4 DVDs and not even all the cutscenes are CGI. How many discs will 360 games require in another 2 years?

Well, 4 DVD's is approaching 40 GB's..and considering I dont think a Blu ray game has yet to be even released on more than a single layer disc...meaning <23GB of data...

Blu ray is more expensive for a dual layer. I think Heavenly Sword said they almost used dual layer but didn't. All things equal PS3 publishers will try to avoid it because of extra cost right now.

In other words, 4 DVD's is approaching so big it would take two Blu ray's..look at it that way. Or in other words, it's more data than any PS3 game yet as well.

Anyways, I dont see top of the line PC games using that much. Look at World in Conflict, the just released PC RTS game that has superb graphics. I randomly noticed it installs to 9GB. However it is meant for a PC with 2-4GB of RAM, and more raw power than PS3/360 have.

So basically I dont think DVD is a realistic limitation. I will be interested also in what size is the Crysis install, since it has better graphics than any console game anyway.

Also Heavenly Sword is a good example. A 23 GB game that was only 6 hours. More storage doesn't mean much.

The real console limitation is 512 MB RAM. That and the fact all the data has to stream from a tiny pipe the optical drives. Because of this, the data has to be heavily compressed anyway, no matter how big of a reservoir it has. It still has to go through that tiny bottleneck from disc to 512MB RAM.

First off, single-layered BD-Roms hold 25GB of data, not 23. Also, only ~7GB of space is available to 360 developers on a DVD9 due to restrictions from MS (i'm not sure what they are). They do not have access to the full 8.5GB. Assuming that the 4th disc is roughly half full, you'd have 3.5 x 7GB = 24.5GB. 24.5GB is less than 25GB. Even if the total data did surpass the 25GB mark, they could just go dual-layer like you said. Kojima already plans to do this with MGS4.

As far as the expense of Blu-Ray discs, large runs of single-layered BD-Roms came to about 37 cents per disc, compared to ~10 cents per DVD, so a 4 disc DVD game would actually cost publishers more than a Blu-Ray disc game. I'm sure a dual-layered BD-rom wouldn't cost much more than a single layer, as they are already being mass produced for movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, so the cost difference is negligible.

About high end pc games, on the EA store it was recently listed that Crysis would need 16GB of HDD space. However, these specs were quickly taken down and Crytek scame out saying that the specs are not final yet. It could end up being a little bit more or a little bit less, but it's a safe bet that the final number will be roughly 16GB.

Also, Medieval II: Total War shipped on two DVD9s way back in Nov. '06.

To repeat my initial statement, how many discs will 360 games require in another 2 years?

Around the Network

And it continues... sigh....

makingmusic476 said:
sharky said:
makingmusic476 said:
To quote the article:

"The game uses a mixture of CG and real-time cut scenes to illustrate the storyline."

So it's 4 DVDs and not even all the cutscenes are CGI. How many discs will 360 games require in another 2 years?

Well, 4 DVD's is approaching 40 GB's..and considering I dont think a Blu ray game has yet to be even released on more than a single layer disc...meaning <23GB of data...

Blu ray is more expensive for a dual layer. I think Heavenly Sword said they almost used dual layer but didn't. All things equal PS3 publishers will try to avoid it because of extra cost right now.

In other words, 4 DVD's is approaching so big it would take two Blu ray's..look at it that way. Or in other words, it's more data than any PS3 game yet as well.

Anyways, I dont see top of the line PC games using that much. Look at World in Conflict, the just released PC RTS game that has superb graphics. I randomly noticed it installs to 9GB. However it is meant for a PC with 2-4GB of RAM, and more raw power than PS3/360 have.

So basically I dont think DVD is a realistic limitation. I will be interested also in what size is the Crysis install, since it has better graphics than any console game anyway.

Also Heavenly Sword is a good example. A 23 GB game that was only 6 hours. More storage doesn't mean much.

The real console limitation is 512 MB RAM. That and the fact all the data has to stream from a tiny pipe the optical drives. Because of this, the data has to be heavily compressed anyway, no matter how big of a reservoir it has. It still has to go through that tiny bottleneck from disc to 512MB RAM.

First off, single-layered BD-Roms hold 25GB of data, not 23. Also, only ~7GB of space is available to 360 developers on a DVD9 due to restrictions from MS (i'm not sure what they are). They do not have access to the full 8.5GB. Assuming that the 4th disc is roughly half full, you'd have 3.5 x 7GB = 24.5GB. 24.5GB is less than 25GB. Even if the total data did surpass the 25GB mark, they could just go dual-layer like you said. Kojima already plans to do this with MGS4.

As far as the expense of Blu-Ray discs, large runs of single-layered BD-Roms came to about 37 cents per disc, compared to ~10 cents per DVD, so a 4 disc DVD game would actually cost publishers more than a Blu-Ray disc game. I'm sure a dual-layered BD-rom wouldn't cost much more than a single layer, as they are already being mass produced for movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, so the cost difference is negligible.

About high end pc games, on the EA store it was recently listed that Crysis would need 16GB of HDD space. However, these specs were quickly taken down and Crytek scame out saying that the specs are not final yet. It could end up being a little bit more or a little bit less, but it's a safe bet that the final number will be roughly 16GB.

Also, Medieval II: Total War shipped on two DVD9s way back in Nov. '06.

To repeat my initial statement, how many discs will 360 games require in another 2 years?

Likely one to two discs, with 2 or more reserved for large and/or AAA titles. The fallacy of your examples is you are assuming games like Crysis and Medieval II are typical titles, instead of major titles, where a lot of content is called for due to their scale and ambitions. So most 360 games will be one disc, with the major titles meriting the content needing more than one disc.

Yet if the majority of major titles are more than one disc, so what? Can you prove that's a bad thing? Something like sales showing games selling worse than average due to more than one disc?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

rocketpig said:
NightStalker said:

I love how ppl make assumptions about PS3 owners, like they can't be legitemately unimpressed by a game just because it isn't FF and it's on the 360. Show me some videos that you think will get me excited over it and I'll let you know if I changed my mind. I'm serious, too.

and FYI I was very impressed by Eternal Sonata and now it is coming to the PS3. Horray for me =D

Sorry Nightstalker, I just realized that I had confused you with someone else on the board...

*slaps forehead*

It's alright. I assume you are referring to the guy w/ the same avatar as me? Yea I may just change mine since I know he won't change his haha

makingmusic476 said:
ssj12 said:
akuma587 said:
Hawk said:
Hus said:
Wow thats sad, and its so early in this gen. Say bye to MGS or FF13, 10 disks would be a bit of an overkill.

10 disks? So those games are going to be on 2 Bluray disks? Multiple Disks already, and the PS3 has only been out half as long

QFT you know what he means. Realistically speaking, a dual-layer Blu-Ray could probably hold the equivalent of 6 dual-layer DVD's. I know those sizes don't add up perfectly, but you have to consider redundant security on each disc and recreating the core game engine on each disc, not to mention the space problems a lack of a hard drive would create for a 360 version.

you also have to remember that Blu-ray can have more then 2 layers unlike DVD.

Yeah but the ps3's Blu-Ray drive can only read dual-layered BD-Roms so extra layers are useless for games. PC storage is another matter, however.

thats not exactly true, its possible for a firmware update to make it be able to read quad-layered discs like they did with their standalone Blu-ray player.

@rocketpig - I love FF but I'll admit theres a game that blows every FF game made out of the water including 7 and 8 combined. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
NightStalker said:
rocketpig said:
NightStalker said:

I love how ppl make assumptions about PS3 owners, like they can't be legitemately unimpressed by a game just because it isn't FF and it's on the 360. Show me some videos that you think will get me excited over it and I'll let you know if I changed my mind. I'm serious, too.

and FYI I was very impressed by Eternal Sonata and now it is coming to the PS3. Horray for me =D

Sorry Nightstalker, I just realized that I had confused you with someone else on the board...

*slaps forehead*

It's alright. I assume you are referring to the guy w/ the same avatar as me? Yea I may just change mine since I know he won't change his haha

I don't think he was referring to either of us. I didn't post in this thread until after he made that post.

makingmusic476 said:
NightStalker said:
rocketpig said:
NightStalker said:

*slaps forehead*

I don't think he was referring to either of us. I didn't post in this thread until after he made that post.

lol well ok. guess I was wrong...

Honestly... 1dvd 4 dvd's.. it doesn't bother me in the least... it takes all of what 10 seconds to change a disc? Honestly if standing up for a few seconds to change a disc and possibly burning a single calorie is that much of a problem, you have bigger troubles then sorting discs.

I dont see how multiple discs can be turned into a negative thing. In the past multiple discs was a GOOD thing. Bigger game, more cutscened, whatever. We've been doing it for years, and yes I also owned that 4 CD Wing Commander PC game that Parokki had =)

All of a sudden we have the bigger better storage media and now there is a problem with swapping?? Ohhkkaaay.

It *could* be annoying if you were swapping back and forth quite often but I dont think any multidisk game I ever owned made me do that. Im on Blue Dragon disc two right now and Ive swapped discs ONCE.

Sh*t, give me as many DVD9's as it takes.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

Oh yah about Lost Odyssey, omg I cant wait. Im so glad I upgraded to an 1080P tv recently....

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )