By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Lost Odyssey to be featured on 4 DVDs!

I love how PS3 owners come in and try to convince themselves publicly that LO doesn't look impressive and then turn around and constantly give e-head to FFXIII, a game they won't be playing for another 18 months...

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

The game impresses me, I just think 4 DVD's is a little excessive. It was at least about four years into the PS1's life cycle (FFVIII) that games started taking up that much space, and the PS1 even had the largest storage capacity of all the consoles along with the Saturn that generation. Like I said before, when is it too much, 5,6, 10?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Are people here saying that they do not care about multiple discs, because frankly, I would be pretty annoyed if I had to keep on changing discs. If you had the choice of blu-ray, would you not use it? I'm not saying that not having to change discs is a reason to get a PS3, it's just a perk.
I don't think it matters in a RPG as much, but for KZ2, which takes up 2GB per level, I would find it annoying to have one disc for part of the single player campaign, two for the rest, and then one for the multiplayer; it would just get really annoying.

add me

akuma587 said:
The game impresses me, I just think 4 DVD's is a little excessive. It was at least about four years into the PS1's life cycle (FFVIII) that games started taking up that much space, and the PS1 even had the largest storage capacity of all the consoles along with the Saturn that generation. Like I said before, when is it too much, 5,6, 10?

That wasn't directed at you, akuma. While I don't mind 4 discs that much, 3 is really the magic number for me personally. Any more than that and it just gets annoying sorting the discs. It's not a big deal, just a little annoying.

Overall, it won't affect my purchase/non-purchase of the game. 

rocketpig said:
I love how PS3 owners come in and try to convince themselves publicly that LO doesn't look impressive and then turn around and constantly give e-head to FFXIII, a game they won't be playing for another 18 months...

Honestly if FFXIII was 360 exclusive I wouldnt care a single bit after I saw the White Knight Story "Original Trailer" on IGN. The game is beyond anything I have seen so far on any console. Square Enix just lost their graphical edge on the RPG market.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
Munkeh said:
Are people here saying that they do not care about multiple discs, because frankly, I would be pretty annoyed if I had to keep on changing discs. If you had the choice of blu-ray, would you not use it? I'm not saying that not having to change discs is a reason to get a PS3, it's just a perk.
I don't think it matters in a RPG as much, but for KZ2, which takes up 2GB per level, I would find it annoying to have one disc for part of the single player campaign, two for the rest, and then one for the multiplayer; it would just get really annoying.

I really question that 2GB/level claim by Guerilla. They're probably using figures from completely uncompressed data that could be optimized down a lot smaller. So, you'd probably be looking at one disc for SP and one disc for MP.

Kinda annoying but not a huge deal. It's fine for the life of the 360 and next time around, a new media format will be cheap enough to include in the console at no additional cost to the consumer.

ssj12 said:

Honestly if FFXIII was 360 exclusive I wouldnt care a single bit after I saw the White Knight Story "Original Trailer" on IGN. The game is beyond anything I have seen so far on any console. Square Enix just lost their graphical edge on the RPG market.

If you're not into FF that much, that's cool. I just find it funny that people who love FF try to completely write off LO even though it is created by 2/3rds of the trio that made the games that are usually referred to as the glory days of the Final Fantasy franchise.

rocketpig said:

I love how ppl make assumptions about PS3 owners, like they can't be legitemately unimpressed by a game just because it isn't FF and it's on the 360. Show me some videos that you think will get me excited over it and I'll let you know if I changed my mind. I'm serious, too.

and FYI I was very impressed by Eternal Sonata and now it is coming to the PS3. Horray for me =D 

akuma587 said:
Just randomly googling, I saw wholesale costs of dual layer DVD replication at 47 cents a pop for 50,000+ discs. I am sure they are somewhat cheaper for larger companies.

http://www.proactionmedia.com/dvd_replication.htm?source=google&gclid=CPnJ87_n0o4CFQINPAodXVpz9w

Single-layer blu-ray costs are about 1.49 for 100,000+ discs (costs from about 4-5 months ago). I expect Blu-Ray replication costs to go down too, like any technology. I am curious to know if there is a point where it is more cost-efficient to have a Blu-Ray disc rather than multiple DVD's.

http://wesleytech.com/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-replication-costs-revealed/111/

P.S. 4 DVD's is too much. That stuff really pissed me off with games like FF8 and 9 as well as Legend of Dragoon. If one of the discs gets scratched, you are fucked. Don't even get me started if two of your discs are messed up (that happened to me with FF9).

So when is X amount of DVD's too much for you?

LOOOOOL

how the heck is that different from scratching the ONE SINGLE DISC somg think!

ill take 10 dvds, thank you, the game will most likely be 200 hours as well and ill enjoy it

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Im just going to post this

Multiple discs, does NOT EFFECT THE GAME, does not effect ANYTHING, if you are so danm lazy as to KEEP 4 DISCS IN A CASE, or to CHANGE THEM, you need to go look in the mirror

god all the fanboys are pissing me off, you and SDF are making a hay day out of nothing (least they make it funny.....)

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.