By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom: Making hardcore games for Wii is an obvious risk. M games dont sell

LordTheNightKnight said:
Jaos said:
Of course they can't control what their employees say. But employees don't say something like this just out of nowhere. I think it's likely that there is a certain notion in the team of this guy that encouraged him. If his team had a completely different point of view, I doubt he'd made that statement. And at least what's going on in the team Capcom has influence on.

That's not a point of view. That's just being factually wrong. Nor does that mean the whole team thinks that. You're still assuming his statement means wider things than it actually implies.

He speficically ued the word "I", not "us" or "we", not "my team", and certainly not "my company", or anything to the effect of those.

Yes, I'm assuming that, and I wrote why. His using the word "I" doesn't convince me of the opposit. Don't forget it's not the first time a Capcom employee does this.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

It is getting punch out because it is a Nintendo Core Franchise, nothing to do at aiming at families.

Correction.  Its a Nintendo core franchise that will capitalize on the success of Wii Boxing.  Easier to sell to mom that is a boxing game with cute characters then a shoving a spike through a guy head with blood everywhere.

I'm just saying...

If you continue on in the interview a bit, he makes a distinction between hardcore and 'mature' games which should mollify some of you. I really don't think you can argue that making a mature game for Wii can be a risk.. I'm not sure why so many of you are taking it personally. Besides, he says that a core game with good gameplay is still what wii gamers want, it's just the target demographic isn't as mature oriented as on other systems.

From the interview:

"VideoGamer.com: Hardcore doesn't necessarily mean mature, right?

DA: Correct. There is a difference between core game and mature content. That to me is the biggest distinction for where we're headed with the Wii. Nintendo, not every one of their game games, I'm not talking about Wii Sports, that's really a mini-game compilation, those succeed on the Wii so let's push those aside. Mario, Zelda, those are games. Wario wasn't the huge success that maybe they hoped. Not everything Nintendo first-party puts out, like Wii Music wasn't a huge success. So just because the Nintendo first-party label's on it does not guarantee millions of units sold. A quality game that's appealing to that audience - so at its core, getting back to the Pixar quality - Mario and Zelda have that. They have that Disney feel to them, which is there's an art style that is not offensive to anyone. It may feel a little younger but it most definitely doesn't alienate anyone. Taking those same elements is where our art style is coming from. It's a little younger. It's not the for kids thing it was a year ago. The original Spyborgs was designed to be for the younger gamer. The latest version is designed to be appealing to all audiences. "

DA: Correct. There is a difference between core game and mature content. That to me is the biggest distinction for where we're headed with the Wii. Nintendo, not every one of their game games, I'm not talking about Wii Sports, that's really a mini-game compilation, those succeed on the Wii so let's push those aside. Mario, Zelda, those are games. Wario wasn't the huge success that maybe they hoped. Not everything Nintendo first-party puts out, like Wii Music wasn't a huge success. So just because the Nintendo first-party label's on it does not guarantee millions of units sold. A quality game that's appealing to that audience - so at its core, getting back to the Pixar quality - Mario and Zelda have that. They have that Disney feel to them, which is there's an art style that is not offensive to anyone. It may feel a little younger but it most definitely doesn't alienate anyone. Taking those same elements is where our art style is coming from. It's a little younger. It's not the for kids thing it was a year ago. The original Spyborgs was designed to be for the younger gamer. The latest version is designed to be appealing to all audiences. "

Couldn't said it better myself.  Its about hitting that market where its inviting to both the core and non core audience.  That is why Madden X for the Wii looks the way it does now.

I am not saying that there is no place for mature games but if they want to hit those Nintendo first party numbers, they know that they can't have cussing and violence and expect it to sell like Mario Kart. 

But when you have a remake of a game that was out two other times (RE 4) and it sells as well as it did but then you put out something like House of the Dead Overkill or Madworld and they have a very slow start, then you say to yourself, what does works?  Its a gamble...

I'm just saying...

its pretty simple right now

wii is for fun games, party games, and kids games

360/ps3 is for the hardcore

its pretty fucking obvious so far this gen. thats why i own both, so i can enjoy both. the only people sad on this can only afford a wii, and thats kind of too bad

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

Around the Network
RPG said:
Why are people (fanboys) bad mouthing Capcom, what have they said wrong? If a game like Madwords struggles to 0.20 million and Fitness Coach 1 million I see nothing wrong with what Capcom said. Nothing is wrong with the userbase but most will not purchase M rated games.

So far in this thread a couple people have got really touchy about what a PR said and that too a correct statement, how very sad. Anyway Capcom is giving Wii MH3 so people should be happy.

RPG you are just as braindead as the Capcom PR rep. Capcom's best selling Wii titles are RE4 and RE:UC they are both M Rated titles. Zack and Wiki and Okami sales combined to don't even have half of the sales of either of RE4 or RE:UC.

Darc Requiem said:
RPG said:
Why are people (fanboys) bad mouthing Capcom, what have they said wrong? If a game like Madwords struggles to 0.20 million and Fitness Coach 1 million I see nothing wrong with what Capcom said. Nothing is wrong with the userbase but most will not purchase M rated games.

So far in this thread a couple people have got really touchy about what a PR said and that too a correct statement, how very sad. Anyway Capcom is giving Wii MH3 so people should be happy.

RPG you are just as braindead as the Capcom PR rep. Capcom's best selling Wii titles are RE4 and RE:UC they are both M Rated titles. Zack and Wiki and Okami sales combined to don't even have half of the sales of either of RE4 or RE:UC.

But at the same time, they put Dead Rising on the system and it hasn't done nothing...  A third release of a zombie like game that was out for 3 years prior, it works.  A zombie rail shooter, it works.  An average but generally popular new zombie franchise, not so good.

But really does it matter.  You know they will be announcing by TGS that a Wii version of RE 5 will be coming.  You can bet on that.

I'm just saying...

he hates the wii

Pyramid Head said:
its pretty simple right now

wii is for fun games, party games, and kids games

360/ps3 is for the hardcore

its pretty fucking obvious so far this gen. thats why i own both, so i can enjoy both. the only people sad on this can only afford a wii, and thats kind of too bad

Oh really?

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu58/GhaudePhaede010/?start=20

Guess I should start saving for that 360/Ps3...

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

RPGJock said:
Darc Requiem said:
RPG said:

But at the same time, they put Dead Rising on the system and it hasn't done nothing...  A third release of a zombie like game that was out for 3 years prior, it works.  A zombie rail shooter, it works.  An average but generally popular new zombie franchise, not so good.

But really does it matter.  You know they will be announcing by TGS that a Wii version of RE 5 will be coming.  You can bet on that.

Dead Rising on Wii wasn't a very good game. In fact it's probably the worst quality game Capcom has released on Wii thus far. Sadly it may be able to surpass Okami in sales.