By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom: Making hardcore games for Wii is an obvious risk. M games dont sell

Of course they can't control what their employees say. But employees don't say something like this just out of nowhere. I think it's likely that there is a certain notion in the team of this guy that encouraged him. If his team had a completely different point of view, I doubt he'd made that statement. And at least what's going on in the team Capcom has influence on.

Around the Network

what? Resident evil 4 (a remake of an old hardcore game) sold almost 2 million. Spyborg is a risk (I don't know nothing about this game, and I will not buy, this game is completly unknown, and that's why spyborg is a risk), make a new Resident Evil for the Wii, Capcom, and you will see if it is a risk.

Lets not blame the system but the game or gamers they are trying to sell too.  MAD WORLD was gonna be a low sale game anyway not because of dimograph but because "hard core games",  I't cant make profit no matter what system or maybe you went out and purchased " Viking, The Club, and Golden axe from" Sega" which was for hard core and on stronger machines and equally DIDNT sell!!!

Jaos said:
Of course they can't control what their employees say. But employees don't say something like this just out of nowhere. I think it's likely that there is a certain notion in the team of this guy that encouraged him. If his team had a completely different point of view, I doubt he'd made that statement. And at least what's going on in the team Capcom has influence on.

That's not a point of view. That's just being factually wrong. Nor does that mean the whole team thinks that. You're still assuming his statement means wider things than it actually implies.

He speficically ued the word "I", not "us" or "we", not "my team", and certainly not "my company", or anything to the effect of those.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Capcom knows it a risk but they also know there are successes when you can find the right formula. They found that for RE series of games but Dead Rising didn't work. And the RE games have been mostly remakes and not much investment and time needs to be put into them as say a new IP built from the ground up.

Let me state it again. The Wii, for better or worse, has a large family friendly audience. M rated games may sell to the core but unfortunately, there are more families that own a Wii then the lone core gamer. If I am a company trying to sell to the majority of the userbase, looking for that 5-10% attach rate, I have to look at the games that have done it in the past. That is why you are getting a RE-Wii remake, a Dead Space on Rail shooter, and probably a Wii Modern Warfare 2. But that is also why you are getting Punch Out, Wii Sports Resort, EA Active Fitness, and Beatles: Rock Band. Because they are going after the large part of the userbase.

I'm just saying...

Around the Network

Fine with me. The less developers feel that they need to rely on blood, gore, and swearing to sell, the better. I like my games with happy primary colors and cartoony graphics thanks. :)

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

RPGJock said:

Capcom knows it a risk but they also know there are successes when you can find the right formula. They found that for RE series of games but Dead Rising didn't work. And the RE games have been mostly remakes and not much investment and time needs to be put into them as say a new IP built from the ground up.

Let me state it again. The Wii, for better or worse, has a large family friendly audience. M rated games may sell to the core but unfortunately, there are more families that own a Wii then the lone core gamer. If I am a company trying to sell to the majority of the userbase, looking for that 5-10% attach rate, I have to look at the games that have done it in the past. That is why you are getting a RE-Wii remake, a Dead Space on Rail shooter, and probably a Wii Modern Warfare 2. But that is also why you are getting Punch Out, Wii Sports Resort, EA Active Fitness, and Beatles: Rock Band. Because they are going after the large part of the userbase.

Dead Rising didn't work because it was absolute trash. They hacked that game to so much crap that no one wanted it. You cannot tell me that if RE5 (a mature game) would have come out when the other systems did that it would not suceed. RE4 Wii is one of the best games on the system due to the controls (a port its sad but it worked great).

And fi you honestly look back how many M games on the Wii have been AAA titles? like 0. Look at Nintendo core AAA games they have sold to the core just fine.

It is getting punc out because it is a Nintendo Core Franchise, nothing to do at aiming at families.

It's easy for a Franchise like RE to succeed on the Wii and on most Platforms. New M rated IP are where the risk is it....

I don't see anything wrong with what this guy said.

4 ≈ One

I am too tired to argue all of this so I will keep it simple. I wish a company would show me some integrity like Epic. Epic said Wii is basically a waste of time and they have stuck by that.

Do not tell me M rated games have a hard time selling when you have two M rated games that sold well beyond your companies expectations... and with absolutely 0 advertising put into them to boot. And you plan to release another within the year. Who are you trying to fool here?

I also think the person conducting thee interview kind of pulled this person into that fire with the way the questions were worded. And lastly, I completely believe this Producer had a little swipe at Clover... but at thee end of the day, these guys have to show me some integrity for me to take their words with any form of respect.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

How easy they forget their success with Resident Evil 4 and Umbrella Chronicles on the Wii, both 1m+ sellers.

If they are polling by looking at Madworld, its an art tech game, no different from games like Okami, Zelda: Wind Waker. Some people just aren't into the art style. Besides, Madworld considerably hasn't much of a story, where Okami and Wind Waker did to push it along.

There is little risk for them to put out more Resident Evil games on the Wii, as it's already a series proven to do well on the system. Beyond that, I personally could care less. Beyond the RE series, Capcom is a mediocre studio at best.