By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kaz definitely turning things around

Well, at least Sony admitted the launch wasn't as great as they hoped it would be.

I hope they turn things around.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
choirsoftheeye said:

Also, keep in mind the last like 20 threads someone posts in show up on the main page. That's where I get to these threads, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. So while it may seem like people coming into the sony forum, it's not as straightforward as that.

And this is exactly it.

1) Hus and KBer - this is not your personal forum, this is a public forum where anyone can enter at anytime, you need to understand that.

2) When topics appear on the main page, people click the link and enter the thread, simple as that. Personally, I never scroll up to the top of the page to see exactly which forum I'm posting in. The forum could be titled 'Gay men that like puppies', but I wouldn't know - I'm entering based on the topic, not the forum. Perhaps this is something ioi could address.

The two of you need to grow up and stop being so defensive about everything anti-Sony. Rather than getting your pants in a bunch, why not make points to dispute what FishyJoe said? I didn't see anything so offensive as to deserve the flames Kber decided to send out.

Oh, and Kber, don't even think of getting the impression that you're somehow immune to banning. That would be a mistake on your part...

Ha.

If i post anything not positive about a nin game in the nin forum i get 20 fanboys on my ass and wii owner mods Pming me with threats of a ban.  Does not matter that a game looks like crap and i only say it looks bad.

I agree Hus your not going to find cutting edge graphics on the Wii. Quite frankly thats not what that console is about. That console is about reasonable pricing, innovative controls, and quality first party games. The focus is heavily on the gameplay over graphical prowess. The result is a cheap machine that is easy to use, and has solid first party games with universal appeal.

When you comment on the graphics you however must apply certain standards. Some games are not implemented with graphics being a primary objective. You also must consider the hardware. You would be hard pressed to find people that say for instance that Mario 64 is a ugly game. The reason most people place it within context it looked superb for the time. They take into consideration the style, and the hardwares limitations.

The only time graphical prowess should ever be truly applied is when the graphics are not living up to the hardware, or living up to the art style they were aspiring too. You can't say a cell shaded game looks awful compared to Gears of War. They were not aspiring to the same goal. You cannot compare the graphic standard of a PS3 or a 360 to the Wii. You can still hold reservations about the graphical power, but a game that looks good for the Wii is a good looking game. All it needs to do is make good use of the graphical power of the machine, and stay true to the art it is aspiring too.

Which returns us to the topic the PS3 is the Bradly fighting vehicle of game consoles. Somewhere along the line it deviated from its primary function, and lost its edge trying to be a master of everything. The end result was it has done nothing well. The format is too new and probably underused. Requiring far too many accessories. The game efforts were too extensive and difficult to develop for leading to a drought of quality games. All these nifty functionalities are almost of niche concern. Most gamers could have done without them. Finally in an effort to reduce prices the machine has lost certain core functionalities.

I think the HBO movie Pentagon Wars is a apt representation of the PS3 up till this point in its life. For those not aware the Bradley was designed as a armored infantry carrier. To get soldiers to the front line of combat, and to stay close to the heavy armored units. However too many people were involved with too many ideas about how to use it for different functions. The result was it couldn't do its primary mission. The thing was a rolling deathtrap for people inside. All the modifications hindered its performance. The best part was billions of dollars ended up being wasted on hair brain schemes.

Such is the PS3 and you still saw it in the press conference. They still were dragging out gadgets, and functionalities that gamers do not need, or even have a desire for. How many PS3 owners are going to buy a PSP to have remote access to their machine? The resources wasted on that could have built another much needed game even if it was a simple Tetris knockoff. Each conference comes with more features that nobody needs, or particularly want. What they need is to focus exclusively on games, and only on games.

I prefer the kiss philosiphy keep it simple stupid. Grab that five minute attention span, and focus on one key element. Have the lion share of time devoted to games, game descriptions, gameplay just pour on the games start to finish. Keep the little boring things tucked away. They need to get people excited, and not pander to concerns. When you talk about solving problems. That highlights you have serious problems. Even if your solving a problem. Just do it do not dwell on it just do it.

How many car manufacturers advertise their car by saying a few good things. Telling you that your car can ford a river. Then mention that they are working on that problem that causes the cars to explode for no reason. None of them do. Why not well people turn their attention to the problem. They say hey it might be a nice car, but I do not want to buy something that will explode. The best way to serve the consumer is to keep them happy, and sure as hell not make them concerned about your products.

Sony took over tgs official, you can only find sony videos not any microsoft videos in gametrailers. There conference may have sucked, but there content afterwards is amazing. Also, when does square enix's conference start?

mM

I love it when fanboys of ANY system get all up in arms. It's really quite comical. Espeically when others get mad at people for posting their opinions on a msg board. And especially when they throw insults at someone's system of choice as a way to attack that person on the internet. As if reading someone say "go waggle your wii-mote" uis going to hurt someones feelings?

Anyway, put me in line with the people who don't really see what all the extra hype about Sony supposedly turning things around. If anything I think they are BACK TRACKING. And that's not neccesary a bad thing. But it's bad for the position that they are in. So in that regard they are starting to get it together a little bit, and I'll give them credit for that.

I own a Psp and haven't touched it since I beat MGS: Portable Ops and that was many months ago. I agree they need to stop focusing on all the multi-media things the system can do and really get back to basics. Which is what they're saying.

As for them not focusing on the HD components of the system and now the "gameplay" (gee I've heard that before but from another company)? That's taking a step back not forward. You've hyped and tried to sell your system based on it's graphical and processing prowess and now you're moving away from that. Sony really just needs to find one line and stick to it. I place a lot of the blame on their PISS POOR public relations. I mean just the amount of stuff that they have to spin and clean-up on a constant basis is ridiculous. You could get a P/R student from school that could probably manage their P.R. better than the top level guys they PAY money to.

All in all I don't think they are doing a terrible job. But I just don't think it's the victory that a lot of fanboys are quick to get up on this or any other msg board are claiming it to be.

Around the Network

Sony are listening to their fans???

That's not a smart move.... their 'fans' already own a PS3 - they need to figure out how to get all the OTHER people to buy the system....

What is it that the fans exactly have to say that is better than Sony themselves?? Bring out these games faster... drop the price... put rumble in the controller... bundle games.... what can the fans suggest to make sony do better? If they have to resort to listening to their fans as you say SSJ then I think they are in big trouble.

That said, a lot of my post above is full of 'fail' because I don't think they are necessarily listening to their fans they just want to 'ease' the fans bourden and they are doing so by talking to them and making them feel important.

I don't think even Sony knows what they can do to help 07, I think infact that they accept that 07 is a dead year for them and they can try and come back in 08.

OriGin said:
Sony are listening to their fans???

That's not a smart move.... their 'fans' already own a PS3 - they need to figure out how to get all the OTHER people to buy the system....

What is it that the fans exactly have to say that is better than Sony themselves?? Bring out these games faster... drop the price... put rumble in the controller... bundle games.... what can the fans suggest to make sony do better? If they have to resort to listening to their fans as you say SSJ then I think they are in big trouble.

That said, a lot of my post above is full of 'fail' because I don't think they are necessarily listening to their fans they just want to 'ease' the fans bourden and they are doing so by talking to them and making them feel important.

I don't think even Sony knows what they can do to help 07, I think infact that they accept that 07 is a dead year for them and they can try and come back in 08.

No its not a bad thing, Its a good thing that an owner can submit an idea for a feature to be added or request a game demo to be added and Sony work on adding the feature/demo.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

LOL. Why do the Sony fans on this board bother? Complete waste of time. Guys you need to learn which users are worth responding to and which are best ignored and only then will you make some progress.

starcraft for example is best ignored. He can't see past his love for MS and therefore his posts are not even worth reading unless you are a Microsoft fan.

Seriously, best approach, pick users worth talking to and there are a few here and reply to them. Ignore the likes of selnor, starcraft etc...

I would hope I am not bundled into that group you talk about jhlennon because I consider myself completely neutral it would be interested to see where people think I stand by the way that I talk? I hope my posts have some credability.

SSJ yes that is a GREAT thing for Sony to be doing as fans, but how does it drive their sales higher??? I cannot believe HS, Warhawk and Lair have all sold as poorly as they have... what the hell kind of game do the majority of PS3 owners want to get them higher sales than that?

I can understand the low sales for Metroid but all those people who paid so much for their PS3... I just don't understand how no more than 3% of those owners have picked up HS in its first week and only about 4 - 5% of owners have picked up Lair since it launched... even I had it pegged higher than that.

jhlennon1 said:
LOL. Why do the Sony fans on this board bother? Complete waste of time. Guys you need to learn which users are worth responding to and which are best ignored and only then will you make some progress.

starcraft for example is best ignored. He can't see past his love for MS and therefore his posts are not even worth reading unless you are a Microsoft fan.

Seriously, best approach, pick users worth talking to and there are a few here and reply to them. Ignore the likes of selnor, starcraft etc...

It is my intention to own all three next-gen systems whenever they obtain enough good games to warrant their price tag. For the 360, this was shortly after gears of war, for the Wii it will probably be after SMG or the next Zelda, for the PS3 it remains to be seen. You cannot possible argue that the system is doing well, particularly for someone like me who isn't heavily into traditional Japanese games.  You can hardly argue that the three biggest titles that Sony themselves hyped as system sellers having bad controls, no single-player and a gamelength of 6 hours respectively is a good thing.

You are the worst kind of Fanboy, the kind that holds a genuine belief that he is better than everyone else and somehow feels that because he doesn't swear and curse like Hus his blatant personal attacks are justified.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS