By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lets say Nintendo Announced Wii HD at E3...

@ sc - so you're asking for the less graphically intensive games to be more graphically intensive? If a developer is too lazy to make a decent 480p game, then they'll be way too lazy to optimise the code enough for it to be playable in 720p. But we're stealing garnett's thread, so if you want to keep discussing this then start a new thread

@ Garnett. I find it hard to answer your question. The theoretical you pose is just so unrealistic that it makes it hard for me to consider. In this theoretical world, is Wii Sports HD any good?

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Hisiru said:
The DSi will not have games "only DSi", only in the DSiware, of course, but in cartridge, the game always will work in the other DSs.

First off, welcome to the forums!

Second, this sentence isn't true, and there will be DSi-exclusive retail games.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=35943

MTV Multiplayer: What’s the DSi software landscape going to be like once the system is out? Will there be DSi-exclusive games? Will there be DS games that have DSi-exclusive features?

Reggie Fils-Aime, president, Nintendo of America: The short answer is “Yes.” There’s going to be both. Our expectation is that most of the content will be, call it, DSi-enhanced vs. DSi-exclusive. Why? One hundred-million installed base of DS. Developers are going to want to leverage that installed base and yet they’ll want to provide extra content via the features of the DSi, like the camera. That’s my expectation as to how it will play out.

I Think that you did not understood the article, and i know about the exclusive cartridges. These cartridges is only for developers who wants that the SAME GAME for the DS lite, work in the Dsi with another functions, you know that, right?

thanks for the welcome

I am not a graphics whore like everyone who considers themselves Next Gen is, I'd personally think it's a stupid idea and if they did this they'd be throwing away all the opportunity wealth they could have created with a system with 50 million sold and development cost a fraction of it's competitors in this economic situation we're in now.

They'll release the next system in 2011-2012, that's only if the Wii slows down in the world market selling below hundred thousand units weekly. WELL below... remember folks the profit margin on this system is insane.

Hisiru said:

I Think that you did not understood the article, and i know about the exclusive cartridges. These cartridges is only for developers who wants that the SAME GAME for the DS lite, work in the Dsi with another functions, you know that, right?

thanks for the welcome

I'm fairly confident that I'm correct, and that there will be DSi-exclusive titles. Check out this sentence more closely:

"Our expectation is that most of the content will be, call it, DSi-enhanced vs. DSi-exclusive"

I underlined the two words that I think are most relevant. "Most" refers to "enhanced," which as you say means they will work with the DS, but have extra features on the DSi. But note that he did not say "all," meaning that some games will be "DSi-exclusive." If there weren't going to be any DSi- exclusive titles, then this sentence makes no sense. It only fits if there are retail games that need a DSi.

Lending further support to this view, several sites are saying that there will be DSi-exclusive retail games in the future.

Maskedpainter said:
I am not a graphics whore like everyone who considers themselves Next Gen is, I'd personally think it's a stupid idea and if they did this they'd be throwing away all the opportunity wealth they could have created with a system with 50 million sold and development cost a fraction of it's competitors in this economic situation we're in now.

They'll release the next system in 2011-2012, that's only if the Wii slows down in the world market selling below hundred thousand units weekly. WELL below... remember folks the profit margin on this system is insane.

The profit margin is huge because they take cheap 8 year old technology and add a new innovative motion controller, sd memory and wifi and call it the wii.  The downside to the wii ended up being a blessing because no one cared about the graphics in the end.  It still sells very well

Around the Network

Hmmm I like the way you think.. I concur.

Garnett said:

And the hardware is significantly  better than PS3/360

LMFAO what world do you live in ?

Hell No... I like what I have right now... Come back to me in 3+ years....

4 ≈ One

noname2200 said:
Hisiru said:

thanks for the welcome

I'm fairly confident that I'm correct, and that there will be DSi-exclusive titles. Check out this sentence more closely:

"Our expectation is that most of the content will be, call it, DSi-enhanced vs. DSi-exclusive"

I underlined the two words that I think are most relevant. "Most" refers to "enhanced," which as you say means they will work with the DS, but have extra features on the DSi. But note that he did not say "all," meaning that some games will be "DSi-exclusive." If there weren't going to be any DSi- exclusive titles, then this sentence makes no sense. It only fits if there are retail games that need a DSi.

Lending further support to this view, several sites are saying that there will be DSi-exclusive retail games in the future.

""Our expectation is that most of the content will be, call it, DSi-enhanced vs. DSi-exclusive""

of course that will be an exclusive for the DSi, if a developer make a game for the DSi that has for the DS Lite, and include Camera or something like that, will be an exclusive thing, but is not a new game, is just a game that has in the DS lite, but with another functions, and these functions are exclusive for the DSi. Is not "DSi exclusive game", is "Dsi exclusive cartridge", with exclusive CONTENT (and not exclusive game) for the game, such as camera, interaction with the DSiware (maybe?), more quests in a RPG for exemple (I know that we have wifi for this one, but they can put nintendo points for downlodable things now, and make money :D), and other things.

scottie said:
@ sc - so you're asking for the less graphically intensive games to be more graphically intensive? If a developer is too lazy to make a decent 480p game, then they'll be way too lazy to optimise the code enough for it to be playable in 720p. But we're stealing garnett's thread, so if you want to keep discussing this then start a new thread

@ Garnett. I find it hard to answer your question. The theoretical you pose is just so unrealistic that it makes it hard for me to consider. In this theoretical world, is Wii Sports HD any good?

No, I wasn't arguing about it. I prefer 480p games with the Wii's specs. From what I gathered from rckrz6's post he was just saying it is possible to have 720p, not that is was a benefit. I would argue though that some games look better with a higher resolution even if some other aspects of the graphics are toned down, or the framerate is decreased than they did in 480p. I would also argue that a lesser graphically intensive game doesn't always mean a lazy developer, some games just don't use as much power with the art direction they are intended for, so the extra power could be used for the higher resolution making the picture more sharp. I agree though, any other discussion should be relevant to the original topic of this thread.