By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii misses out again!

sethnintendo said:
mowe said:
Yeah, this happens ALL the time. Until Wii proves itself as a viable hardcore gaming platform, great games will keep going HD exclusive.

This statement hardly makes any sense at all.  One can play Animal Crossing hardcore/more than someone can play any other game.  Great games going to HD exclusive??  More like most developers don't care to build an engine for the Wii and just shits out 2 copies of the game on PS3/360.  I challenge you any of your HD game playtime hours to my Animal Crossing playtime hours.  Shit, I know some people in their 40s/50s that play that game 6-12 hours a day.  If that isn't hardcore then nothing is.

You're right, let me rephrase that. The Wii hasn't proven itself as a MATURE gaming platform. Games LIKE COD4, Gears of War/Resistance, Infamous/Prototype, Prince of Persia, MGS4, God of War, etc. Why would developers bother putting out mature games on the Wii when barely any new IP's have hardly had the kind of success seen on the HD consoles.

# of games above 75 on Metacritic (including downloadable):

360: 241     DS: 144

PS3: 152     PSP: 126

Wii: 85

Around the Network

@mowe, COD5 is selling quite fine on Wii and still has decent weekly sales. People thought it bombed at first since it barely sold anything the first week. Also, people were comparing it to 360/PS3 which both had COD4 to help boost COD5 sales. New IPs don't really sell that well on HD consoles either. God of War, MGS4, Prince of Persia,  Resistance, and COD are not new IPs.  List me a few new IPs that sold decently on PS3/360 and I could provide you with 10 fold that didn't sell well.

I know what you are saying, that is exactly why I don't want a wii.

OK.

Gears of War - 5.88m
Assassin's Creed (360) - 4.49m
Resistance - 3.59m
Assassin's Creed (PS3) - 3.36m
Uncharted - 2.34m
Bioshock - 2.16m
Left 4 Dead - 2.16m
Mass Effect - 2.04m
Saint's Row - 1.94m
Lost Planet - 1.77m
Dead Rising - 1.65m
Crackdown - 1.49m
Army of Two - 1.46m
Heavenly Sword -1.36m

All those were new, mature IP's that enjoyed a good amount of sales success. I'd say this proves that even mediocre games like Heavenly Sword can be successful on HD consoles.

Now I want you to find me about that many Wii games that are new IP's and are mature games and sold reasonably well.

Those stats (or lack thereof) are what I use to form my opinion that the Wii has not proved itself as a viable mature gaming platform, in comparison to the HD consoles. I think developers also take this into consideration when deciding which platforms to design their game for, leading to what I believe is a lack of new mature games on Wii. Maybe my thinking is wrong here, but I honestly would love to be proven wrong.

# of games above 75 on Metacritic (including downloadable):

360: 241     DS: 144

PS3: 152     PSP: 126

Wii: 85

mowe said:
OK.

Gears of War - 5.88m
Assassin's Creed (360) - 4.49m
Resistance - 3.59m
Assassin's Creed (PS3) - 3.36m
Uncharted - 2.34m
Bioshock - 2.16m
Left 4 Dead - 2.16m
Mass Effect - 2.04m
Saint's Row - 1.94m
Lost Planet - 1.77m
Dead Rising - 1.65m
Crackdown - 1.49m
Army of Two - 1.46m
Heavenly Sword -1.36m

All those were new, mature IP's that enjoyed a good amount of sales success. I'd say this proves that even mediocre games like Heavenly Sword can be successful on HD consoles.

Now I want you to find me about that many Wii games that are new IP's and are mature games and sold reasonably well.

Those stats (or lack thereof) are what I use to form my opinion that the Wii has not proved itself as a viable mature gaming platform, in comparison to the HD consoles. Maybe my thinking is wrong here, but I honestly would love to be proven wrong.

Dude, you are forgetting something! Wii games cost peanuts to make and hd games cost something like 100 million to make! GTA IV was that expensive!

Around the Network

inFamous is not on the Wii because it is made by Sucker Punch, who are a Sony 2nd party studio

Prototype is not on the Wii because it is an incredibly violent game, initially designed for the PS360 and will better appeal to the user demographics of those consoles, as shown by the lacklustre sales of MadWorld

Wii dosent sell mature games well enough...

*points at Mad World*

iF you are a hardcore fan then here is the list:

MadWorld
House of the Dead: Overkill
No More Heroes
Call of Duty: World at War

Here is the list of games to track before release:

The Conduit
Monster Hunter 3
Sin and Punishment 2 (Nintendo)
Assassin's Creed 2
Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles
Dead Space: Extraction

As you can see there are a lot of games on the Wii that appeal to hardcore fans. If you want to ask anything about hardcore please feel free to ask me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WII is the FUTURE GAMING!

Carl2291 said:

*points at Mad World*

Sega said they thought madworld sales were promising! So it must have been a huge succes!

Esa-Petteri said:
Carl2291 said:

*points at Mad World*

Sega sais they thought madworld sales were promising! So it must have been a huge succes!

I cant tell if you're being sarcastic or serious...