By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The conduit to outsell killzone 2?

Let me think... sorry, not this time.

Around the Network

It should do considering the install base compared to the PS3

Graves said:
burgerstein said:
I would have said not a chance before Killzone 2 released, but KZ2s sales haven't been as amazing as I thought so there's a chance. But Conduit has to get lots of TV commercials, that's an absolute must for it to do really well.
Remember guys, the Conduit isn't Madworld. Madworld was a M rated niche game, The Conduit is a T rated generic FPS, much more potential sales.

Well how long has Killzone 2 been out? About 3 months and it has already hit 1.5+ million. Most games don't even have lifetime sales that high. By the end of the year and after the holiday it should be past 2 million possibly 3 million. Killzone 2 isn't Halo but it's selling exceptionally well.

I highly doubt that with the sharp drop off in sales and Japan didn't even give it a boost (though really no one expected it to) but just to put things in perspective

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Killzone+2+-+PS3&reg2=All&game2=Halo+3+-+X360&reg3=All&game3=Call+of+Duty+4%3A+Modern+Warfare+-+PS3&weeks=100

Killzone 2 has slowed down MUCH faster then CoD4, a game that has only sold over 4 million, and much better sales per week.  Now if KZ2 has some bundling you're sales would be quite easy the way things look around 2 million - 2.5 would be my guess without bundling of course.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

FootballFan said:
It should do considering the install base compared to the PS3

You do know how cod:waw did on those platforms?

PS3: 3,2m

Wii: 1,1m

You have to consider the demographics of the install base too. :o

thekitchensink said:
theRepublic said:
Kantor said:

1) History.

Look at Call of Duty: World at War. A million on Wii, 3 million on PS3. The best selling PS3 FPS is CoD4 with some 4.3 million, the best selling Wii FPS is...World at War, with 1 million.

The reason that World at War is so low on the Wii compared to the PS3 is because the Wii did not get the breakout hit of the series, Modern Warfare.  World at War was riding on the coattails of its predecessor.  Look at Call of Duty 3, 1.16 million on the Wii, and 0.65 million on the PS3.

Also, don't forget Red Steel--a mediocre game by most accounts, and yet it still sold 1.18 million.

We also can't forget that World at War Wii was a severely gimped version of the game (neutered beyond what is necessary when downporting an FPS to Wii).  It didn't have splitscreen, only had 8 players online, no vehicles, no voice chat.

Now, admittedly, the Conduit also lacks a splitscreen mode, but, unlike other Wii shooters, it has a Party system, voice chat, and very respectable graphics.  It also looks to be the first shooter (outside of Metroid) to really take advantage of the 'mote's capabilities.

Long and short of it: The Conduit definitely has the capacity to sell well.  I predict 2-2.2 million lifetime, though it'll be one of those 'wait for the legs' games that starts decently and just keeps going through word of mouth.

Firstly, CoD3 was launched when the PS3 had literally zero userbase. By the time it began to really take off (Holiday 2007), CoD4, which was a far superior game, was already out. Meanwhile, the Wii was enormously successful off the bat.

Red Steel- Is it an FPS? I always hear it being called an FPA. Whatever. 1.18 million, for a mediocre FPS. That's pretty good. However, do we know that The Conduit won't be mediocre? We had people calling Killzone 2 mediocre right up until February.

And of course, the Wii fanbase doesn't seen to buy these games in the quantity that the HD fanbases do.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
appolose said:
NJ5 said:

Another reason why I still have some doubts is that the areas where this game will likely excel (controls mostly, I'm guessing) are the ones which are already done "well enough" by other Wii games.

There's a lot of talk about the graphics but I don't think those make a Wii game a system-seller, the Wii userbase is not that focused on graphics (but of course good graphics always help).

Frankly, I think Conduit's developers focused way too much on graphics, to the detriment of more needed features like split-screen and 16/32-player online.

Bottom line, this game won't be that special unless it's really polished, balanced and the maps are great. Which is doubtful since the game is coming from a mediocre developer.

Still, one can hope, and I do hope this game surpasses my expectations...

I think they were hoping to deliver an experience more equivelent to the HD shooters (no splitscreen or local multiplayer being the norm) and so prove that the Wii is capable of games the 3rd party companies usually hesistate to give the Wii.  Not that I'm saying I prefer graphics to splitscreen or more online players, but I think it was the right choice to go for the so called "hardcore" type of game.  The sequel, I think, would be better off on focusing on getting local multiplayer and more online players than graphics, however.

The HD norm is actually Coop/Split screen. You'll have to go down to the 8th best selling shooter to not have these features and that particular game is the critically acclaimed 96% metacritic Bioshock. So therefore The Conduit shirks these norms.

Tease.

Kantor said:
thekitchensink said:
theRepublic said:
Kantor said:

1) History.

Look at Call of Duty: World at War. A million on Wii, 3 million on PS3. The best selling PS3 FPS is CoD4 with some 4.3 million, the best selling Wii FPS is...World at War, with 1 million.

The reason that World at War is so low on the Wii compared to the PS3 is because the Wii did not get the breakout hit of the series, Modern Warfare.  World at War was riding on the coattails of its predecessor.  Look at Call of Duty 3, 1.16 million on the Wii, and 0.65 million on the PS3.

Also, don't forget Red Steel--a mediocre game by most accounts, and yet it still sold 1.18 million.

We also can't forget that World at War Wii was a severely gimped version of the game (neutered beyond what is necessary when downporting an FPS to Wii).  It didn't have splitscreen, only had 8 players online, no vehicles, no voice chat.

Now, admittedly, the Conduit also lacks a splitscreen mode, but, unlike other Wii shooters, it has a Party system, voice chat, and very respectable graphics.  It also looks to be the first shooter (outside of Metroid) to really take advantage of the 'mote's capabilities.

Long and short of it: The Conduit definitely has the capacity to sell well.  I predict 2-2.2 million lifetime, though it'll be one of those 'wait for the legs' games that starts decently and just keeps going through word of mouth.

Firstly, CoD3 was launched when the PS3 had literally zero userbase. By the time it began to really take off (Holiday 2007), CoD4, which was a far superior game, was already out. Meanwhile, the Wii was enormously successful off the bat.

Red Steel- Is it an FPS? I always hear it being called an FPA. Whatever. 1.18 million, for a mediocre FPS. That's pretty good. However, do we know that The Conduit won't be mediocre? We had people calling Killzone 2 mediocre right up until February.

And of course, the Wii fanbase doesn't seen to buy these games in the quantity that the HD fanbases do.

I'd be willing to bet good money that you have never heard Red Steel called an FPA. You're thinking of Metroid Prime 3.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Graves said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Normally, I'd say no. But with Killzone 2's sales (which aren't necessarily bad, but far below what it should be for a game that's been in development for so long etc.), it's quite possible.

For everyone going on and on in this thread about how FPSs don't sell on the Wii and all that ... Most FPSs that have actually been released on the Wii, even the ones that are very mediocre (Red Steel) have cracked 1 million, so stop spouting that bullshit around this instant.

Considering the game has only been out for 3 months what kind of sales are you expecting? It also has the potential to sell millions more.

Red Steel cracked a million because it was a launch title (little selection), advertising, and it seemed like it would utilize the Wii controls in a unique way. The game got mostly bad reviews so you can't say it sold because its a quality title. Call of Duty and Meroid sold well thanks to those already being popular franchises.

The only other FPS games on the Wii are Medal of Honor, Brothers in Arms, Far Cry, Quantum of Solace. All of which have had poor sales. Now take your advice and "stop spouting that bullshit."

LMAO Medal of Honor - PSP game and it shows, Brothers in Arms - a terrible port of a terrible PS2 game with more bugs and slowdown then anything I've ever seen, Far Cry - Where should I start..., and Quantum of Solace - a bad game from a movie series by all rights if the demographic that all Wii owners are casuals that buy name brands and shovelware this game should have sold 2 mil + but it didn't cause people can smell shit.

People that buy FPS games on Wii actually look for something that looks good and unique.  Red Steel looked good enough that people bought it in spite of reviews, the others have been awesome games. 

So stop the bullshit and list good games that sold poorly :P

Red Steel wasn't much better than some of the games mentioned. However Red Steel had the advantage of being a launch title.

Graves said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Graves said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Normally, I'd say no. But with Killzone 2's sales (which aren't necessarily bad, but far below what it should be for a game that's been in development for so long etc.), it's quite possible.

For everyone going on and on in this thread about how FPSs don't sell on the Wii and all that ... Most FPSs that have actually been released on the Wii, even the ones that are very mediocre (Red Steel) have cracked 1 million, so stop spouting that bullshit around this instant.

Considering the game has only been out for 3 months what kind of sales are you expecting? It also has the potential to sell millions more.

Red Steel cracked a million because it was a launch title (little selection), advertising, and it seemed like it would utilize the Wii controls in a unique way. The game got mostly bad reviews so you can't say it sold because its a quality title. Call of Duty and Meroid sold well thanks to those already being popular franchises.

The only other FPS games on the Wii are Medal of Honor, Brothers in Arms, Far Cry, Quantum of Solace. All of which have had poor sales. Now take your advice and "stop spouting that bullshit."

LMAO Medal of Honor - PSP game and it shows, Brothers in Arms - a terrible port of a terrible PS2 game with more bugs and slowdown then anything I've ever seen, Far Cry - Where should I start..., and Quantum of Solace - a bad game from a movie series by all rights if the demographic that all Wii owners are casuals that buy name brands and shovelware this game should have sold 2 mil + but it didn't cause people can smell shit.

People that buy FPS games on Wii actually look for something that looks good and unique.  Red Steel looked good enough that people bought it in spite of reviews, the others have been awesome games. 

Red Steel wasn't much better than some of the games mentioned. However Red Steel had the advantage of being a launch title.

And advertisement... and looking unique... and many people thought it was going to be good before they played it... but the others you mentioned it was just obviously bad and some of them are WAY worse then Red Steel so peddle that somewhere else dude it aint working here.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Graves said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Graves said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

And advertisement... and looking unique... and many people thought it was going to be good before they played it... but the others you mentioned it was just obviously bad and some of them are WAY worse then Red Steel so peddle that somewhere else dude it aint working here.

It sold for every reason other than being a good game. But most importantly it was one of few launch titles that didn't look childish.