By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thre needs to be an asterik by Wii Sports Numbers.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Your premise is that people would not buy the game based on quality, backed up by review scores.

Take a good look at how review scores affect actual sales. They don't.

And unless you can prove Super Mario Bros would have sold 40 million without being bundled, that argument against putting an asterisk there is faulty.

That's all I'm putting up here. If the OP can't see this, we either have a delusional poster or a troll.

Review scores don't tend to affect how games sell unless you're talking about Wii games where games like No More Heroes with higher review scores sell less than 500,000 copies while games with lower review scores sell several million copies, but if you look at most other consoles they do.

Going back several console gens, the higher reviewed games have generally sold the most amount of copies.  Super Mario Bros., Super Mario 3, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy VII, Gran Turismo, Gears of War, Halo, Grand Theft Auto and most of the best sellers of the past six gens follow this pattern.

I knew I shouldn't have hit 88mph when I was on my way to work today. It seems I've been transported to 2006.

Nah.

So are you trying to say, for example, that Gran Turismo and GTA III didn't have the best sales among PS2 games as well as the highest ratings or that the two highest selling exclusives on the 360 aren't also its highest reviewed exclusives?

Around the Network

Congratz!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

so i guess we can exclude all ps360 games from top 50 every week that are on the market for 15+weeks as well - wanna bet that all of them were bought in bundles?

txrattlesnake said:
So are you trying to say, for example, that Gran Turismo and GTA III didn't have the best sales among PS2 games as well as the highest ratings or that the two highest selling exclusives on the 360 aren't also its highest reviewed exclusives?

Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii outsold Brawl and Galaxy by a large margin. Both games are in the 80s and Brawl is at 93, Galaxy at 97.

Okami PS2 is at 93 on the PS2 and it didn't even sell 500k.

Your argument about quality = sales just isn't valid.

Signature goes here!

waron said:
so i guess we can exclude all ps360 games from top 50 every week that are on the market for 15+weeks as well - wanna bet that all of them were bought in bundles?

Not every 360 game that has sold well has done so simply because it was bundled with a 360.  If the 360 had launched with a pack-in game in 2005 that was still in the box today, then like Wii Sports maybe it should be counted too.

However, to make things fairer, then every xbla game that has been packaged with a 360 should be counted so I guess Wii Sports has sold 44 million copies and Hexic HD (and other included xbla games) has sold 30 million copies.  Granted that's not as much as Wii Sports, but more than Wii Play, Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Fit.

What do you think of that?

txrattlesnake said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Your premise is that people would not buy the game based on quality, backed up by review scores.

Take a good look at how review scores affect actual sales. They don't.

And unless you can prove Super Mario Bros would have sold 40 million without being bundled, that argument against putting an asterisk there is faulty.

That's all I'm putting up here. If the OP can't see this, we either have a delusional poster or a troll.

Review scores don't tend to affect how games sell unless you're talking about Wii games where games like No More Heroes with higher review scores sell less than 500,000 copies while games with lower review scores sell several million copies, but if you look at most other consoles they do.

Going back several console gens, the higher reviewed games have generally sold the most amount of copies.  Super Mario Bros., Super Mario 3, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy VII, Gran Turismo, Gears of War, Halo, Grand Theft Auto and most of the best sellers of the past six gens follow this pattern.

Others have proven your claims false. So as I stated, either delusional or a troll.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs