By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thre needs to be an asterik by Wii Sports Numbers.

hsrob said:
txrattlesnake said:

The big thing is that if the Wii was selling like the Gamecube, then no one would even bother to defend Wii Sports or Wii Fit or Wii Play as being decent games in any way let alone trying to say they are among the best games ever made like some Nintendo fans try to go completely overboard and do.

There are four main reasons why the Wii has sold as well as it has.

One would be the fact that it was by far the cheapest of the next gen consoles when released.

Another would be the heightened demand for the Wii that existed because of shortages and limited availability for the console during Christmas '06, much of '07, Christmas '07, much of '08, and whose effect seems to have been wearing off a bit more recently.

Third they did manage to get most of their core games out in a timely fashion. Zelda as a launch title, Metroid Prime and Mario Galaxy by its first year anniversary. Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Fit that have been carrying it over the last year.

And lastly, the law of cycles which says that everything cool twenty years ago will eventually find a way to be cool again. Since, the NES was cool twenty years ago and Nintendo had gone through a bit of a slump the last two gens, they did catch a benefit from the law of cycles. It was just time for Nintendo to do well again.

Wii Sports had very little to do with any of these four things.

You have the most confusing version of 'logic' that i have ever encountered.  I mean the fact that the Wii isn't selling like the Gamecube is BECAUSE OF WII SPORTS!  Give the game the credit it deserves, it's not like everyone doesn't already know the game is packed in.

Also you didn't answer my previous post, are we asterisking PS3 sales due to the fact that it was packed in with Bravia TV's in Australia?

Sure, but how many of the PS3's sales did you say that accounted for less than 100,000 of its 20 + million?

Around the Network

OMG is this discussion still going on? Wii Sports must have done something terrible to some people to deserve this. Did your girlfriend leave you for it or what?
I bet that if Wii Sports had become the best selling game of all time without being bundled even once people would still bitch about it, claiming it isn't an actual game or something.
Well, personally I wanted Wii Sports and would probably have bought it separately if it wasn't bundled.

Please end this crap talk, it's just stupid.

replace Wii Sports just in name with... Party Babyz for the Wii...

if the Wii would have been bundled with Party Babyz and still met with the amazing success it got, it would mean that Party babyz is the best selling game of all time.

So sales do not equal quality

I repeat

SALES =/= QUALITY

a bad game can sell amazingly well, and become the BEST SELLING GAME OF ALL TIME even if its THE WORST GAME OF ALL TIME

now Im not saying Wii Sports is bad, I love that game, m just saying your argument is pointless because it implies that bad games cant sell and they do.

txrattlesnake said:
hsrob said:
txrattlesnake said:

The big thing is that if the Wii was selling like the Gamecube, then no one would even bother to defend Wii Sports or Wii Fit or Wii Play as being decent games in any way let alone trying to say they are among the best games ever made like some Nintendo fans try to go completely overboard and do.

One would be the fact that it was by far the cheapest of the next gen consoles when released.

Another would be the heightened demand for the Wii that existed because of shortages and limited availability for the console during Christmas '06, much of '07, Christmas '07, much of '08, and whose effect seems to have been wearing off a bit more recently.

Third they did manage to get most of their core games out in a timely fashion. Zelda as a launch title, Metroid Prime and Mario Galaxy by its first year anniversary. Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Fit that have been carrying it over the last year.

And lastly, the law of cycles which says that everything cool twenty years ago will eventually find a way to be cool again. Since, the NES was cool twenty years ago and Nintendo had gone through a bit of a slump the last two gens, they did catch a benefit from the law of cycles. It was just time for Nintendo to do well again.

You have the most confusing version of 'logic' that i have ever encountered.  I mean the fact that the Wii isn't selling like the Gamecube is BECAUSE OF WII SPORTS!  Give the game the credit it deserves, it's not like everyone doesn't already know the game is packed in.

Also you didn't answer my previous post, are we asterisking PS3 sales due to the fact that it was packed in with Bravia TV's in Australia?

Sure, but how many of the PS3's sales did you say that accounted for less than 100,000 of its 20 + million?

txrattlesnake. You're a hypocrite. A Hip. O. Crite.

O-D-C said:
replace Wii Sports just in name with... Party Babyz for the Wii...

if the Wii would have been bundled with Party Babyz and still met with the amazing success it got, it would mean that Party babyz is the best selling game of all time.

So sales do not equal quality

I repeat

SALES =/= QUALITY

a bad game can sell amazingly well, and become the BEST SELLING GAME OF ALL TIME even if its THE WORST GAME OF ALL TIME

now Im not saying Wii Sports is bad, I love that game, m just saying your argument is pointless because it implies that bad games cant sell and they do.

OK let's do that. If the Wii still managed to sell that much with that pack in then it would be either a true testament to that game or the Wii itself. We do know that Wii sports has sold phenominal in Japan. In the same class as DQ and FF games(only FF8 sold more in that series). Of ourse there is always pokemon.

A permanent pack in speaks to part of a marketing package. If the game was not effecting sales Nintendo would of taken it ouot of the pacakge and sold it as a seperate unit to make more money. Not pack it it in with every console in the US and Europe and lose potential sales(aka extra money a few hundred K is a few hundred K). No it is in there becasue Nintendo feels confident that as a pak in it boosts comopany sales.

Around the Network
txrattlesnake said:
hsrob said:
txrattlesnake said:

Admittedly Australia is a small market but it's ~1/7 systems sold here.  So where's this magical cut off where a game or system earns an asterisk? 

And i'll ask again, why do we need an asterisk?  Everyone knows the Wii comes packed in with Wii Sports.  It's not as though Nintendo has some subversive plan to achieve the highest selling game of all time, so what is the point?  You can't argue what proportion of Wii Sports sales might not have occured if weren't packed in, it could be 90% of current sales for all we know if. I could just as well argue how much better the Wii would have sold at $200, without Wii sports, given the historical sales trends of systems below $200.  Perhaps the Wii might have attracted many more hardcore gamers who were turned off by Wii Sports. 

It's all ifs and buts. In the end we are left with the fact that ~44 million people own, have paid for (at least in part, it's not free) and have played Wii Sports.

Now i'm going back to listen to Wham who have once again become cool due to the infallible "law of cycles".

OP is like a single antilope encricled and eventually charged by a flock of hyena, a pack lions and a small army of crocodiles all at once!
As an aftertouch, there will be vultures feasting on your remains when they're done.
Seriously, making such a thread probably had a point in your mind somewhere, but what was it?

txrattlesnake said:

1) Sure it helped.

2) No, no, no, no, no. Shortages and limited availabilty... wait for it... LIMIT sales they don't increase them.

3) Yes those titles are system sellers (maybe not Prime, I love the game but it's pretty niche) but they don't explain the phenomenal Wii sales alone. At Metroid Prime's launch Wii was at 11.2 million, Twilight Princess was at 3.4 million at the point so there was 7.8 million who bought the Wii for something else.

4) That point is too ridiculous to reply to.

Signature goes here!

Mummelmann said:
OP is like a single antilope encricled and eventually charged by a flock of hyena, a pack lions and a small army of crocodiles all at once!
As an aftertouch, there will be vultures feasting on your remains when they're done.
Seriously, making such a thread probably had a point in your mind somewhere, but what was it?

That gave me some pretty funny images in my mind...

Former something....

TruckOSaurus said:
txrattlesnake said:

1) Sure it helped.

2) No, no, no, no, no. Shortages and limited availabilty... wait for it... LIMIT sales they don't increase them.

3) Yes those titles are system sellers (maybe not Prime, I love the game but it's pretty niche) but they don't explain the phenomenal Wii sales alone. At Metroid Prime's launch Wii was at 11.2 million, Twilight Princess was at 3.4 million at the point so there was 7.8 million who bought the Wii for something else.

4) That point is too ridiculous to reply to.

2.)  Actually when people are unable to obtain an item it increases both the demand and the word of mouth for it.  Look at the 360 when it was scarce in the holidays of '05 and people were able to sell them for $3,000.00 and more.  Also look at past sales for items like Tickle Me Elmo, Cabbage Patch Dolls, etc, etc.  It is a well known phenomena for the it items of holiday seasons to have an increased demand due to their scarcity.

4.)  The law of cycles is a well discussed phenomena in pop cultural studies.  Basically music trends, interest in ufos, etc. seem to have a spike in interest every twenty years or so.  Basically the fact that Nintendo was able to survive so long in the games industry even through their two off console eras ensured that sooner or later they would release something that would become popular again.