By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thre needs to be an asterik by Wii Sports Numbers.

txrattlesnake said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
I guarantee that in 20 years we'll have new young hip dumb video game reviewers who grew up on Wii Sports instead of Super Mario Bros., and they'll all be saying Wii Sports is one of the greatest games ever made.

The casuals are flooding the market! They're going to take over the future! Aahahahahaha!!!

Why don't you make your own list of the best-selling games of all time, but take out all the bundled games. Which is worse, having Wii Sports as the best-selling game of this generation, or Wii Play, or Wii Fit?

Super Mario Bros. was considered to be the greatest game in its time (and it continued to hold that title until games like Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, and SMB 3 were released), and it is still to be found in most of the lists of the top 10 games ever made.  Wii Sports isn't considered to be the greatest game of its time (by a long shot), and it won't be considered one of the greatest games of all time twenty years from now.

Those future reviewers you're talking about will have their fondest gaming memories dominated by Halo, Gears, GTA, and MGS. 

there are probably people who find  wii sports more fun than mario bros, zelda, metroid, smb3 (personally don't know why but still)

it is just an opinion, and bundled games count in sales.

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

Around the Network
You can buy copies of Wii Sports from nintendo.com, or pay even more than that on eBay. The game still catches more than its retail price. I can't even make sense of that one. The thing's a monster.

I think this is actually the best argument for why Wii Sports' sales have a lot of weight.  Everyone who just keeps saying "I don't get how you can say...":  You're not making an argument.  You're making noise.  (Which is good fun on forums, of course.)

On the other hand, no one really responds to the basic distinction which I think Kylie made, which is that all other bundled games are offered as premium systems...  They involve the consumer making a choice to buy the game with the system rather than just buying the system on its own.  Many of Wii Sports sales clearly didn't involve that choice* -- out of however many million sales, you can't logically make the argument that at least one or two people out of the millions didn't want the game.  So, the numbers aren't really like any other game sales numbers, bundled or not...

*except in Japan, of course!

May I suggest the following:

Wii Sports: 50 million*

*Suck it, bitch.

txrattlesnake said:
I guarantee that in 20 years we'll have new young hip dumb video game reviewers who grew up on Wii Sports instead of Super Mario Bros., and they'll all be saying Wii Sports is one of the greatest games ever made.

The casuals are flooding the market! They're going to take over the future! Aahahahahaha!!!

Why don't you make your own list of the best-selling games of all time, but take out all the bundled games. Which is worse, having Wii Sports as the best-selling game of this generation, or Wii Play, or Wii Fit?

Super Mario Bros. was considered to be the greatest game in its time (and it continued to hold that title until games like Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, and SMB 3 were released), and it is still to be found in most of the lists of the top 10 games ever made.  Wii Sports isn't considered to be the greatest game of its time (by a long shot), and it won't be considered one of the greatest games of all time twenty years from now.

http://top100.ign.com/2005/001-010.html

Those future reviewers you're talking about will have their fondest gaming memories dominated by Halo, Gears, GTA, and MGS. 

Those were all niche games that can't even break 20 million sales, let alone 50 or 70 or 100 BILLION or wherever Wii Sports will end up.

And IGN actually think Chrono Cross was a better game than Super Mario Galaxy, so I'd trust a politician before I'd trust IGN.

misterd said:

*Suck it, bitch.

Well, he has the best idea so far.

Around the Network
misterd said:

*Suck it, bitch.

LOL

The big thing is that if the Wii was selling like the Gamecube, then no one would even bother to defend Wii Sports or Wii Fit or Wii Play as being decent games in any way let alone trying to say they are among the best games ever made like some Nintendo fans try to go completely overboard and do.

There are four main reasons why the Wii has sold as well as it has.

One would be the fact that it was by far the cheapest of the next gen consoles when released.

Another would be the heightened demand for the Wii that existed because of shortages and limited availability for the console during Christmas '06, much of '07, Christmas '07, much of '08, and whose effect seems to have been wearing off a bit more recently.

Third they did manage to get most of their core games out in a timely fashion. Zelda as a launch title, Metroid Prime and Mario Galaxy by its first year anniversary. Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Fit that have been carrying it over the last year.

And lastly, the law of cycles which says that everything cool twenty years ago will eventually find a way to be cool again. Since, the NES was cool twenty years ago and Nintendo had gone through a bit of a slump the last two gens, they did catch a benefit from the law of cycles. It was just time for Nintendo to do well again.

Wii Sports had very little to do with any of these four things.

yeah i agree with you or it needs to be on the last page of the SW chart every week its just in the way of everything on the 1st page

Play Me

txrattlesnake said:

The big thing is that if the Wii was selling like the Gamecube, then no one would even bother to defend Wii Sports or Wii Fit or Wii Play as being decent games in any way let alone trying to say they are among the best games ever made like some Nintendo fans try to go completely overboard and do.

There are four main reasons why the Wii has sold as well as it has.

One would be the fact that it was by far the cheapest of the next gen consoles when released.

Another would be the heightened demand for the Wii that existed because of shortages and limited availability for the console during Christmas '06, much of '07, Christmas '07, much of '08, and whose effect seems to have been wearing off a bit more recently.

Third they did manage to get most of their core games out in a timely fashion. Zelda as a launch title, Metroid Prime and Mario Galaxy by its first year anniversary. Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Fit that have been carrying it over the last year.

And lastly, the law of cycles which says that everything cool twenty years ago will eventually find a way to be cool again. Since, the NES was cool twenty years ago and Nintendo had gone through a bit of a slump the last two gens, they did catch a benefit from the law of cycles. It was just time for Nintendo to do well again.

Wii Sports had very little to do with any of these four things.

You have the most confusing version of 'logic' that i have ever encountered.  I mean the fact that the Wii isn't selling like the Gamecube is BECAUSE OF WII SPORTS!  Give the game the credit it deserves, it's not like everyone doesn't already know the game is packed in.

Also you didn't answer my previous post, are we asterisking PS3 sales due to the fact that it was packed in with Bravia TV's in Australia?

Trolling.
http://metropolitician.blogs.com/scribblings_of_the_metrop/_files_troll_2.jpg