By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is House of the Dead: Overkill a full price game?

woopah said:
sigh, what does a game have to do to pacify a bitch

lol

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
DKII said:

It's a castrated, outdated genre. Let's take a regular first-person shooter, disable movement for everything but your arms, and then wheel you around so you can shoot at random stuff. And on top of that for some reason the game is only a couple hours long, short even by shooter standards. If somebody seriously proposed that as a new concept they'd get laughed out of the room, but because some people have some nostalgia for the old days and the genre it's accepted anyway.

So-called light-gun games should never be more than a bonus mode of a real game.

I disagree. That's the same logic that claims turn based combat is outdated, and shouldn't exist.

ANY game can be a great game. The rail shooter still has many hits left in it. Star Fox, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Sin and Punishment. These are all rail shooters.

What it comes down to is this.

I think you are absolutely 100 percent wrong. I think that I play good games. I don't play genres. I don't listen to "rap" music, or "rock" music. I listen to good music. I don't play "FPS" games, or "jrpg" games, I play GOOD games.

Believe it or not, Overkill is a good game. Other games in the genre will also be good in the future. Orta is a recent example of how a rail shooter can be AAA and better than most free movement FPS games, by having grand setpieces, innovative gameplay, fantastic graphics, and excellent, amazing boss battles.

After you've heard my argument, would you change your stance in any way?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

twesterm said:
SaviorX said:
This is like when my friend complained of to me of Left 4 Dead being too short because he only played 1 episode.

Twesterm, you got pwned man.

How did I get pwned?  Because I like value for my games and everyone has shown me that I'm clearly wrong and shouldn't get my money worth?

Because you didn't state you completed the director's cut, in which case you didn't play the full game yet.

There is replay value there. Plus wouldnt you want thos 2 1/2 hours to happen over again to laugh more with other friends? that would take it to around 10-15 hours.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WII is the FUTURE GAMING!

ZenfoldorVGI said:
DKII said:

It's a castrated, outdated genre. Let's take a regular first-person shooter, disable movement for everything but your arms, and then wheel you around so you can shoot at random stuff. And on top of that for some reason the game is only a couple hours long, short even by shooter standards. If somebody seriously proposed that as a new concept they'd get laughed out of the room, but because some people have some nostalgia for the old days and the genre it's accepted anyway.

So-called light-gun games should never be more than a bonus mode of a real game.

I disagree. That's the same logic that claims turn based combat is outdated, and shouldn't exist.

ANY game can be a great game. The rail shooter still has many hits left in it. Star Fox, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Sin and Punishment. These are all rail shooters.

I think you are absolutely 100 percent wrong. I think that I play good games. I don't play genres. I don't listen to "rap" music, or "rock" music. I listen to good music. I don't play "FPS" games, or "jrpg" games, I play GOOD games.

Believe it or not, Overkill is a good game. Other games in the genre will also be good in the future. Orta is a recent example of how a rail shooter can be AAA and better than most free movement FPS games, by having grand setpieces, innovative gameplay, fantastic graphics, and excellent, amazing boss battles.

To my knowledge, none of those games you mentioned are "light-gun" shooters. You have some ability to move/dodge/execute maneuvers, so they're not so much castrated as they've had their tubes tied, so to speak.

Games like House of the Dead are like taking an existing musical piece and stripping it down to a supporting instrument's part and then calling that a new song.

The RPG example isn't entirely the same - it'd be more like taking a Final Fantasy game where you only fight the turn-based battles while the AI moved you around the map and talked to people for you.

If you went to see a movie at the theater and paid full price for it and it was over after 20 minutes but was still pretty good in that time, you'd actually be satisfied with that?

Around the Network
DKII said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
DKII said:

To my knowledge, none of those games you mentioned are "light-gun" shooters. You have some ability to move/dodge/execute maneuvers, so they're not so much castrated as they've had their tubes tied, so to speak.

Games like House of the Dead are like taking an existing musical piece and stripping it down to a supporting instrument's part and then calling that a new song.

The RPG example isn't entirely the same - it'd be more like taking a Final Fantasy game where you only fight the turn-based battles while the AI moved you around the map and talked to people for you.

If you went to see a movie at the theater and paid full price for it and it was over after 20 minutes but was still pretty good in that time, you'd actually be satisfied with that?

So you have a problem with SRPGS now?

Joking... but that is what SRPGS are.... more or less.

twesterm said:

So last night I went to go see X-Men Origins: Wolverine with a friend and we got fairly drunk at the movie (hooray Studio Movie Grill) so even though it was midnight or so we came back to my place and decided to play games since he didn't want to drive home.

We pick House of the Dead: Overkill because I had started it and the humor was awesome. 

So we play it and we're absolutely loving it.  By the third stage we get the auto shotgun and we just start ripping through everything.  We actually were never even in danger of dying and didn't die until the final boss (friend died once but he just continued so no big deal).

Anyways, I thought the game was fun even though it was ridiculously easy.  We were constantly laughing (which is hard to do in a game), and the game itself is just fun, but there was one problem: we finished the game in under 2 1/2 hours.

What the fuck!?

This was a full priced game and it was only 2 1/2 hours?  What the crap were they thinking?

I don't mind a short game, I don't even mind a full priced 6 hour game if it's really fun, but there's no excuse for a full priced 2 1/2 hour game.

Bah.

For a rail shooter that sounds painfully long.

Either way I don't think a rail shooter is worth more than $20 maybe $30. Hard to believe a game like that cost the same as a quality adventure game.

Graves said:
twesterm said:

So last night I went to go see X-Men Origins: Wolverine with a friend and we got fairly drunk at the movie (hooray Studio Movie Grill) so even though it was midnight or so we came back to my place and decided to play games since he didn't want to drive home.

We pick House of the Dead: Overkill because I had started it and the humor was awesome. 

So we play it and we're absolutely loving it.  By the third stage we get the auto shotgun and we just start ripping through everything.  We actually were never even in danger of dying and didn't die until the final boss (friend died once but he just continued so no big deal).

Anyways, I thought the game was fun even though it was ridiculously easy.  We were constantly laughing (which is hard to do in a game), and the game itself is just fun, but there was one problem: we finished the game in under 2 1/2 hours.

What the fuck!?

This was a full priced game and it was only 2 1/2 hours?  What the crap were they thinking?

I don't mind a short game, I don't even mind a full priced 6 hour game if it's really fun, but there's no excuse for a full priced 2 1/2 hour game.

Bah.

For a rail shooter that sounds painfully long.

Either way I don't think a rail shooter is worth more than $20 maybe $30. Hard to believe a game like that cost the same as a quality adventure game.

HoTD:ok is a new title onto itself.. most arcade rail shooters are just that.. quick conversions.. so the companies have pretty much recouped their money in the arcade parlours and the home version is just cherry on the cake. Since this is a new title, recouping these costs is prolly higher- and will take longer. That explains the high price.

Im all for cheaper games, heck I dont think ANY game should be above $40, but given the quality of this title Im going to go with "sure". SEGA have been quite benevolent toward the wii offlate..so.. I'd rather pay them full price than capcom or nintendo.. both of which r swimming in turds of cash!

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Graves said:
twesterm said:

What the fuck!?

Bah.

Either way I don't think a rail shooter is worth more than $20 maybe $30. 

I for the most part agree. Which is why most of the other ones have performed better thus far. Though a price cut will make a difference.

To the people using UC as an example of a longer game I think that is sorta unfair. UC is the slowest railshooter I have ever played. Everything about it is slow paced from the camera movement to the zombies. Now I'm not ripping it apart, but it is a totally different kind of shooter.

To me the length of a shooter is less important that the replayability. That is why Ghost Squad sucks if you ask me, I never had any reason to want to play it through more than a couple times. In that way I think Overkill is worth it.

Despite thinking the game was worth it, I do think they should have lengthened it considering its full price. But I also think when one buys a rail shooter they should not expect more than a couple of hours of content.

To those who simply dislike rail shooters, thats fine, but I think to make it sound like those who do are settling for less is just missing the whole point. Rail shooters are like speed runs. They are meant to be practiced and perfected. Not run through from beginning to end like most FPS without caring about precision and perfection.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

Maybe the problem is that Twesterm played the game while drunk. It might have lasted longer sober.

And if he and a friend took 2-1/2 hours to complete, that's 5 total person-hours of play time.

But seriously, this game is at least $10 overpriced. There is a $40 sweet spot for this type of game on the Wii.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV